• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

IN OUR GARDEN 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
very odd weather for july ...my son trimmed the front conifers and shrubs out the front this morning before work and i just bagged up the trimmings..he did the back garden hedge the other day..he wanted to get the jobs done as he is off on saturday for a 4 week tour of norway on his motorbike.. he is pretty sure he has enough time to get to the arctic circle but his mission is to do another 600 miles further and get to the highest point..said he didnt want to come back to too many tasks :Dwhile he is away i plan to paint all the fence panels and posts..i can manage that :)

lyn

its very dry here the rain we have had has only wet the surface the grass is dead. i am worried about re seeding becouse of the dog getting it in his paws so me thinks i will deaf it and let nature take its course:grinning:

Thanks for the info, and to think you ended up in hospital just from strimming. My goodness, did you come into contact, or was the irritation caused by spores?

I have several areas by my house to clear, how should I go about removing any of these toxic plants if I see them?

Thanks for the info, and to think you ended up in hospital just from strimming. My goodness, did you come into contact, or was the irritation caused by spores?

I have several areas by my house to clear, how should I go about removing any of these toxic plants if I see them?
the sap that was thrown by the strimmer from the Giant hogweed burned me i had huge blisters on me mush and arms hands . i had to have a baths in some sort of solution in the hospital and spend the night there.

use gloves and overalls and be every carefull Kat

.Giant hogweed is a poisonous exotic plant. The sap of giant hogweed contains toxins that are activated by light (natural or artificial UV rays). Contact with giant hogweed sap, combined with exposure to light, causes pain and skin lesions similar to burns.Hogweed-Heracleum-sphondylium-1f14b07.jpg

Oh, I get it, sap. That must have been quite worrying, you never know how these things are going to go, each individual is different.

Yes, I think you need full protective wear for dealing with these situations. Probably best to inform the council and let them deal with it, they would have all of the correct PPE.

Jan I can't help but wonder if you are having this spasmodic rain? I've lost count of how many times it's rained today!

I have managed to do some gardening today. Cut a large bamboo, general other bits sorted.

Apparently, next week it's going to be very hot!

Jan I can't help but wonder if you are having this spasmodic rain? I've lost count of how many times it's rained today!
Yes. Managed Tai Chi on the field in the dry. Finishes around 12. Got in about 12.30 by the time we finished nattering. Just made a cuppa and it poured with rain. Then sun. Then another shower. Now we are on weak sun again. More like April. Quite windy as well.

I didn't have many cherries on the tree to begin with but it looks like there won't be any for me to pick. Some small wasp like insects are eating them. :(

Picked all my blackcurrants (a grand total of twelve), tried one but way too tart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back