• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

IN OUR GARDEN 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember years ago when we had massive hail stones, really awful, people were sheltering anywhere because the hail was painful as it hit your skin.

I gave a lady and her dog a lift home from the shops, we weren't sure if the hail had totally stopped and she didn't even have an umbrella. She was so grateful and it was a pleasure to be able to help.

When I got in and I saw my garden I could have cried. Big holes in my plants.

I got busy with other stuff so it got neglected until this week, I can see leaves that I think are marigold, a thistle and a couple of dandelions have sneaked in, the red at the back are just petals from the rose bushes behind that patch.
to the right of the patch I popped in three Tesco potatoes that had sprouted and they're growing well.
Maybe a few close up pics tomorrow if it's dry.

It's been dry here, apart from a few showers, but not enough to give the pots a good watering. Sounds like you've had a lot of rain then Steve.

Although we have had rain every day for over a week, It has been, mostly, quite a gentle rain, with very few heavy downpours.
As forecast, the rain started about ten o'clock last night, and it is still on now, albeit, light, and due to cease by nine o'clock

We do have sunshine forecast for tomorrow.

Steve.

Here are few pics of my small seed patch.

Attachments

• Colours1.jpg
    Colours1.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Colours2.jpg
    Colours2.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Colours3.jpg
    Colours3.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Colours4.jpg
    Colours4.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Colours6.jpg
    Colours6.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Colours7.jpg
    Colours7.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Colours8.jpg
    Colours8.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 10
  • Colours9.jpg
    Colours9.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 10
  • Colours10.jpg
    Colours10.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 11
  • Coulours5.jpg
    Coulours5.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 15
I was always thrilled to spy the woodpecker that occasionally came onto the bird feeders in our garden. This was until 2 years ago when he raided the nest the blue tits had made in one of our boxes :( The following year the box remained empty but happily the blue tits were back this Spring and succesfully raised their family!

The toxic sap of the giant hogweed, which grows near canals and rivers, can cause burns, blisters and scarring to those who come into contact
1689048142728.png
foxglove Consuming the leaves can cause oral and abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.
In severe cases, symptoms can include visual disturbances, plus heart and kidney problem1689048434411.png

The toxic sap of the giant hogweed, which grows near canals and rivers, can cause burns, blisters and scarring to those who come into contact
View attachment 181663
foxglove Consuming the leaves can cause oral and abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.
In severe cases, symptoms can include visual disturbances, plus heart and kidney problemView attachment 181666

It was indeed William Withering who discovered digitalis for the treatment of heart conditions. He lived in what is now the clubhouse of Edgbaston Golf Club, the land, now the course, has an abundance of foxglove that are still there today.

William Withering

Digitalis

A couple of photos I took in 2019

Edgebaston-Golf-Course-v1-Aug-19_1217.jpgEdgebaston-Golf-Club-July-19_0093.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back