• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

IN OUR GARDEN 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
25 degrees and sunny here today, so out with the ride-on and give the field a haircut. That will occupy the day, apart from the midday to 14h00 quiet period. Friday is forecast for 32 with showers and sparks from the sky, and Sat and Sun as 32 with sunshine. Weather forecasts seem very difficult this year for the forecasters to do, they can change two or three times in a day. Very unstable jet stream.

Had a picnic yesterday afternoon with friends, very pleasant. Lots of 'Bonjours' from passing cyclists. Motorcyclists wave, and even some cars give a toot as they pass.

Andrew.

When I was young I remember having red hot pokers in our garden, they always fascinated me. Not everyones cuppa, but I decided to try the "Kniphofia citrina" and I was surprised at how stunning (well to me) they look. This is the first year they've flowered - but alas only two pokers so far ! They fit nicely alongside the bronze Phormiums I have. All part of my plan to help the garden survive the dry, salty sea winds we get here. Viv.

IMG_20230616_140542_resized_20230703_104720798.jpg

I have just had a "Pete moment" as in "raindrops keep falling on my head". As I got the mower out to sort out our lopsided lawn the spots of rain started. Good job we only have a small lawn as I managed to cut it and just got damp. Mower away as rain started to get heavier. Mower not cleaned properly and paths not swept but at least the lopsided look has gone for now.
Why lopsided? For some reason (I think to do with next doors trees/shrubs) one side of our lawn grows much quicker and more luxuriantly than the other.
I have now had a cuppa and think it has stopped raining so might go and tidy up.

Your garden looks so neat & tidy. Mine is more rustic { posh word for unruly }
Thank you. I have 4 little dogs, so I'm quite particular about moving the pots regularly (not every day) and washing down a couple of times a day because the boys like to sprinkle!!!!!.

Otherwise I would leave it and there would be little leaves everywhere from next doors tree, which is lovely, it's worth the leaves!!!!!

Sounds like you've worked out why the lawn grows as it does. Very annoying when the weather interrupts your gardening and you have to wait to clear up! Your garden must be looking lovely Jan, with its new fence and your efforts.

Thanks Kat
Managed to get ut and trim the edge of the lawn. quite pleased with top section by lawn but rhs needs a tidy now the fence is done and also the bottom where some shrubs. inevitably, got a bit knowcked around.
Took this of top of lawn with the bedding plants. Difficult because of angle of the sun. You can see the lhs of the lawn doesn't look as good as the right. I am not lawn proud so we do have moss, dandelions and daisies in amongst the grass. :D

Attachments

• trimmed border.jpg
    trimmed border.jpg
    605.6 KB · Views: 15
Managed to get ut and trim the edge of the lawn. quite pleased with top section by lawn but rhs needs a tidy now the fence is done and also the bottom where some shrubs. inevitably, got a bit knowcked around.
Took this of top of lawn with the bedding plants. Difficult because of angle of the sun. You can see the lhs of the lawn doesn't look as good as the right. I am not lawn proud so we do have moss, dandelions and daisies in amongst the grass. :D
looks like the RHS compared with mine:grinning:

In spite of the last few days I am going to have to do some (not a full) watering later. Mainly the front (as I have said before it is under the eaves and misses out on rain). Plus the bedding plants. Shrubs are established and so can cope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back