• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brougham Street, Lozells

David Your cousin ,is she Sheila Bell ? ????? I would love to see the picture of Glenda with Delia , ( Although i don't see Delia Now )
Max

Yes. Sheila Bell, now O'Connor these last 50 odd years. Now lives in Great Barr. Her Daugher, Annette, my second cousin, is signed up here as Netty, hasn't posted now for along time, I must look her up again.

I'll dig out the photo in the coming days and post it up here.

My goodness , Sheila Bell ( Or ding dong as some of us naughty kids called her ) i may be way off beam here ,but i think she tragically had a boy child killed in a road accident ?.

Do you remember a lovely girl that we used to call , very cruelly ," bull dog ", i never new how she got that nick name .

PS Brian Bowler lives by the Union Pub

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I have been very interested dave in all the comments about Brougham st. My Gran & grandad lived at 56 Brougham street. My parents were also living there when i was born in 1950. My mom and dad moved to the other side of town in late 1950. I returned with my wife to stay at my grans for about 1year in 1970. My gran stayed there until her house was compulsery perchased in the early 70s i think. I remember my grandad was very clever at making things. He had built a bathroom, i remember how cold it was in there. Also my grans washing line was on a big post at the bottom of the yard which ran on to a pully mounted up by the bedroom window. you would hang your washing on it, then hoist it up into the air. If ever there was a strong wind i am sure half the washing would end up half way down the street. Although i don't recall my gran ever saying it did. I think my mom and dad moved there when they got married in 1944. My dad and mom were in the army at the time. It is very interesting to read about somewhere you once lived. Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and photo's.

A bit off topic, but does anyone remember Roy Aston who lived on Nursery Road, just before you got to Brougham Street? The houses there were higher than the footpath, you had to go up steps to get to the front door.

Hi Barrie, i was just looking at this thread, as i lived in Brougham St, i remember Roger Aston,and the house very well, i guess he may have been roys brother. Max

Hi glenda
Brian Steadman is my cousin. His mom and dad and my mom and dad lived with my grandparents ( Stevens) in brougham street. I was a few months old when we left in 1950. Last i heard Brian was living in Wales.

Hi Dave

my Dad grew up on Villa Street. He was one of 10 children and the family name was Brett. My grandad, Douglas, used to drink in the Angel all the time. Do you have any recollections of my family, someone must as there were so many of them!!

Claire

hi brian...i grew up in villa st and just wondered if you had any family live there..im sure there were steadmans opposite me..the name colleen springs to mind..?? hi cvb1 what num was your dad at..i lived at 118 and if you type in villa street in the search box at the top of the page there are a couple of threads to look at with pics of villa st....in the meantime here is a pic of the angel..one of our dads watering holes....

lyn

Hi Lyn

my Dad grew up at 177 from the late 50s through to the 70s. The family had been in the street a long time before that as my great-grandpearents lived there as well. The family moved to Newtown in the seventies and then finally Northfield in the eighties. My Grandparents were Kath (who was Irish) and Doug Brett who had 10 children; Pat, Doug, Marion, Eileen, Chris (My Dad), Johnnie, Tommy, Michael, Gus and Paul.

The family all went to St Francis Church and we returned there for my granddad's funeral in January of this year. Before my grandparents lived there, my great grandparents, Albert and Rose lived there too.

hi claire..well your dad was certainly living there at the same time as i was.. i was in villa st num 118 from 1958 to 1972...although i am afaid i dont recall the names but maybe it will come back to me...your dads house i think would have been either just before or just after southalls factory. and definately after the vine and the villa tavern pubs which were both on that side of the street...i wonder if you or your family may have any pics at all of villa street as i am always looking for them...and please accept my condolances on the loss of your grandad...

lyn

Sorry all, I lost my way a bit over the last year. And what with all the forum changes I didn't get any alerts to activity on this thread. I feel a bit guilty about it as it was me who started it in the first place! Anyway, all sorted now !!

Claire. I remember Pat and Doug very well. I was in the same class as Pat at St Francis and then subsequently at Blessed John Wall although I was a bit of a bad lad at school and ended up leaving BJW, I hated the place, in the third year and Mom and Dad got me into Harry Lucas that I loved (another story there for another day !). I'd love to hear what became of Pat and Doug.

Stars, although we are of similar age, I was born in 1952, we missed each other. My Mom and Dad managed to escape at the time of the CPOs and migrated to Weston-super-mare in 1968 when I left Harry Lucas and that's where I still am with my family now, although Mom and Dad passed away in the late 90s. I'm placing number 56 in mind. My reference point is number 60 where the Beale family lived. I'm not sure, but wasn't number 56 once a small shop? I remember that the Jones family moved there in in the early 60s (maybe late 50s), I remember the brothers Frank, Terry and Graham. If it wasn't number 56 it was certainly nearby. Almost directly opposite was the old St Marys School.......

A couple of up to date photos of Brougham St, which i took a while back. Max

A couple more remnants which may be interesting for you.
The sassy young lass is my cousin enjoying an Ice lol outside Hurlstons Shop on the corner of Brougham street and Wills street. The other is a family picture taken near Albert Cottages about halfway down Brougham Street. Both were taken in the late 1950s.

Dave..Lived next door to Hurlstons,no 2,1955 to 1965..

Yes. Sheila Bell, now O'Connor these last 50 odd years. Now lives in Great Barr. Her Daugher, Annette, my second cousin, is signed up here as Netty, hasn't posted now for along time, I must look her up again.

I'll dig out the photo in the coming days and post it up here.

Knew Shelia quite well,through my mother marge,used to be a bus clippy?

hi oscar..do you have any old pics of brougham st....i lived in villa st from 58 to 72 but always interested any pics of surrounding streets..

lyn

Lyn,maybe,will scout around,Knew villa st quite well...went to school with the beeches,Harpers,dave Griffin...Connie Frutril ?Sidney Lawley....Also Nursery Road.Wills Street of course,george St,Church st too.Gowwer was my school.

hi oscar i knew the beech family well and so did my brother who also went to gower st school we lived just a few doors down from them....look forward to any pics you may have and welcome to the forum.....

lyn

Hi , Ican't seem to find your Brougham st , villa rd pictures .My family lived at 42 ,Brougham st .Any chance you can repost them ,love to see what the road looked like .Regards Kim.

Hi Kim
We have lost a lot of photos due to being hacked. I to lived in brougham st for a while, and my father also lived there. At no 56 Brougham St. I do have a couple of photos of Brougham St, which were posted on before being hacked. I was waiting to see if they have been re posted. I have reposted three of the missing photos for you kim . If the original poster of these photos wishes me to remove them please let me know.
regards Stars

19252520Brougham252520Street2525202525281252529A.jpg

19252520Brougham252520Street2525202525282252529A.jpg

the2520_Brougham_street.jpg

good to see these pics back stars..just checked and i dont have anymore....very thin on the ground for pics is brougham st...

lyn..

Hi Lyn
Yes i know these are the only ones i have seen. I did put some photos on coppermine, so if anybody wants to replace any and they are there, they can.

Stars ( Eric)

morning eric..i think that a couple of members did post their family pics so maybe they will repost them at some point...

lyn

Hi Dave My name is Tim Beale and Ilived at 60 Brougham St. between 1952 and 1973 and you and i were friends Do you remember ?? I now live in Dorset

Hello barrie My name is Tim Beale and I lived at 60 Brougham St. between 1952 and 1972 Rose Leeder is my Godmother but we lost touch when we moved out of Brum. Ithink she moved to Church St. Do you know if she is still alive and could you find her address for me please??

My Heavens! Timmy Beale! How could anyone forget you you old rascal ! What you been doing this last 40 Years ? I've lived in Weston-super-mare since I left school in '68. Married with 2 kids and now have 7 Grandchildren. We have relatives who live in Beaminster in Dorset and visit there quite regularly.

I heard that Lyn has sent you my private email. Would love to hear from you.

I love those first two pics of Brougham Street. Notice that the dog doesn't move while whoever takes the pics walks from one end to the other ! Judging by the relatively modern street lights I reckon they where taken in the 70's. When I left in '68 they were still the old gas lamp posts.

The last pic is a scan of an old postcard of which I still have original. What a little treasure! Any guesses on the date that was taken? I woud guess at 1930's judging by the cars.

yes my kids attended the church and st francis School was across the road this was 20 years ago there was also a priest called Monsignor Fallon, we also attended the Carnegie Clinic, if my memory serves me right there was a factory across the main road going towards the City Centre,

sorry St francie school and the church was way futher down from St rfancis but my kids attended a nursey at brougham street does anyone remember this

Back