• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brougham Street, Lozells

I went to St Francis school in the 50s. It was (still is) at the bottom of Brougham street near the Nursery Road end. St Francis Church is in Hunters Road on the corner with Wretham Road, Hunters Road runs parallel to Brougham Street. The old welfare clinic (presumably Carnigie Hall) is also in Hunters Road. I used to go there with my Mom as a kid. Opposite the Church is the convent which is associated with St Francis school, although in Hunters Road the convent backs on to the school in Brougham street giving direct access. In fact St Francis school is, I think, all that remains of the old Brougham Street Street. Last time I was up there, about 18 months ago, number one on the corner with Wills Street still existed but was in a very sorry state. It looked like if no one pulled it down , it would fall down of it's own accord. Can any one confirm is number 1 is still there?

When i was 12 my friend and i worked at St Mary,s Convent cleaning for the nuns of a Saturday Morning. It was a bit eerie inside and so quiet apart from the clinking of the Rosarie beads when one of the sisters was approaching. I am sure there used to be a lamb in the grounds somewhere.

I lived opposite the convent and you are right it was eerie But do you remember the parade they had once a year ?

I went to St Francis school in the 50s. It was (still is) at the bottom of Brougham street near the Nursery Road end. St Francis Church is in Hunters Road on the corner with Wretham Road, Hunters Road runs parallel to Brougham Street. The old welfare clinic (presumably Carnigie Hall) is also in Hunters Road. I used to go there with my Mom as a kid. Opposite the Church is the convent which is associated with St Francis school, although in Hunters Road the convent backs on to the school in Brougham street giving direct access. In fact St Francis school is, I think, all that remains of the old Brougham Street Street. Last time I was up there, about 18 months ago, number one on the corner with Wills Street still existed but was in a very sorry state. It looked like if no one pulled it down , it would fall down of it's own accord. Can any one confirm is number 1 is still there?

hi dave...no 1 broughham still has gone....

lyn

count me in dave..any excuse to take a trip down the old end...
be good to see you again..
lyn

I would but my parents don't live far so I am always round there but enjoy it will bring back old memories

I lived opposite the convent and you are right it was eerie But do you remember the parade they had once a year ?

Yeah I remember the parade. I was in it once when I was about 5 or 6. In fact it was the Whitsunday Procession. I remember I had to dress all in white....Not good for a young kids street cred ! :)

No wonder I became a rebel Ah Timbo !?

You gonna take me for a pie and a pint in that same pub Lyn? What was it called again? I thought it was Great!

Did you know that Timbo lived at no. 60 Brougham Street and his back garden directly overlooked the back of The Vine in Villa Street. I remember a naughty boy story about that. I won't relate though unless Tim gives his approval ! ;)

or course dave..it was the church on gt hampton st....you never know ackers may even join us...ive still got a couple of the pics i took when you two met up again after 40 years...bought tears to me eyes lol..

lyn

Hi everyone, my name is Patrick Farrell I lived at 50 Brougham Street Lozells, I lived there with my siblings Anne,Janet, Maureen,Anthony,Peter and Geraldine along with our parents 'Paddy & Florie' Farrell. We lived there from 1958-1971. If anyone remembers us would be lovely to hear from you. I remember the Jones,Beales,Freddy Rounds, Summers,Jonathen Owen,Mrs Corbett and many more. I went to St Francis School and St Marys in Well Street. It was such a lovely place to live in, great neighbours and many friends. Such a tradegy what they have done to it now, I recently passed there and they have totally ruined it. We all had a great childhood there.

Hope to hear from some familier faces and see some photos.

Patrick

hi patrick and welcome to the forum...have you seen the 3 photos on post number 139...im afraid pics of this street are very hard to find...

lyn

Hi Patrick and welcome.
I lived in Brougham st twice. once in 1950 and then again in the late 60s. We lived with my gran at 56 Brougham st,
so only about 3 doors away from where you lived. I was over that way a couple of weeks ago, and yes how it has changed.

Regards Stars

Hi everyone, my name is Patrick Farrell I lived at 50 Brougham Street Lozells, I lived there with my siblings Anne,Janet, Maureen,Anthony,Peter and Geraldine along with our parents 'Paddy & Florie' Farrell. We lived there from 1958-1971. If anyone remembers us would be lovely to hear from you. I remember the Jones,Beales,Freddy Rounds, Summers,Jonathen Owen,Mrs Corbett and many more. I went to St Francis School and St Marys in Well Street. It was such a lovely place to live in, great neighbours and many friends. Such a tradegy what they have done to it now, I recently passed there and they have totally ruined it. We all had a great childhood there.

Hope to hear from some familier faces and see some photos.

Patrick
Hi ya Patrick, i remember you, you were younger than me i think im 61 now, i lived at 20 Brougham St, i was a close mate of Freddy Round and even went on holiday with his family to Rhyl . I was a friend to your sister Anne. If i remember correctly your Dad ( or someone in your family ) had an old 3 wheeler car that had a kick start like a motor bike. Iremember all the names you mention except Mrs Corbett.

Hi ya Timmy, i remember you well , and your brothers Andy,and Jonathan. I speak to Rosie often, she seems to think that you have her address ! if you need it please send me a private message and i will give it to you.

Hi ya Patrick, i remember you, you were younger than me i think im 61 now, i lived at 20 Brougham St, i was a close mate of Freddy Round and even went on holiday with his family to Rhyl . I was a friend to your sister Anne. If i remember correctly your Dad ( or someone in your family ) had an old 3 wheeler car that had a kick start like a motor bike. Iremember all the names you mention except Mrs Corbett.

Big Fella,

Yes that was my dads car lol. I am sorry but I can't seem to remember you, I am now 58. The family have now lost touch with Anne. Nice to hear from you. Have you ever heard anything from Freddy,Brian,Terry Jones or any of them from Brougham Street?

Ps I went on holiday with Freddy to Rhyl too lol

Hi Patrick and welcome.
I lived in Brougham st twice. once in 1950 and then again in about 1976. We lived with my gran at 56 Brougham st,
so only about 3 doors away from where you lived. I was over that way a couple of weeks ago, and yes how it has changed.

Regards Stars

Hi Stars

What was your family name? I do remember your gran, In the winter I used to clean snow from her path, she used to live next to the Jones, and then Mrs Corbett.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Hi Lyn

Thanks for the welcome, its great looking back at the pictures.

hi patrick glad you are enjoying the forum...i lived in villa st from 58 to 72....was good friends with the moorhouses who lived at 106 in particular doreen....happy days...

lyn

Hi pfarrell54
My family name is Stevens. My gran was prissy and grandad Alfred. Also my aunt and uncle, Doris and Gordon Steadman with their son Brian, lived there for a while.
My gran moved when her house was compulsary purchased. I must amend the date of the second time we were there it was late 60s.

Regards Stars

hi folks its been a while since anyone posted on brougham st..photos very hard to find but delighted to say that i found these 2 at the library a couple of weeks back..

pic 1 showing left hand side of brougham st coming up from nursery road end with wills st running accross
pic 2 shows nos 76 to 68 ish..both dated 1968 i think...

lyn

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Astoness
Fantastic photos. We lived down from that white house at no 56. It has really brought
back some memories for us. I am over that way soon, going to Key Hill. One again thanks.

Take care Stars (Eric)

Hi I lived at number 1 Brougham st from 1958 when I was born until 1972 when my mom and dad bought a house in Perry Barr. Remember lots of the names on here. Especially the Beales my mom worked with Joan at D G Rowneys a small printing firm on the corner of wills st and church st I think. I used to go to St Francis's with Geraldine and Maureen Farrel priest wasnt to happy about me having communion as I wasnt catholic and I seem to remember us getting in trouble for messing with the holy water in the font. I lived opposite Hurlstons shop later sold to Doug and Hilda. Also remember Alice well her brother Tony was one of my best friends also Brian and Eileen. Used to hang round with Linda Whitney and her brothers and can remember loads of others. I have a few photos and will get them on here when I can. So many happy memories of growing up here. Best friend ( still ) Sue Branson lived in George St so spent most of my time round there from the age of 9. Someone mentioned Adolphus Welch he was also my friend wasnt pleased when my nan gave him my best scooter. His auntie worked at the royal angus hotel and despite being terrified our our dog she bought him leftovers from the kitchen most days. Adolfus went to St Silas's with me. Love to hear off anyone who remembers me

hi debbie and welcome to the forum...if you go back to post 171 pic 1 is your house showing because thats a shot of the odd numbers and the numbering started from the wills st end which is running accross in that photo..i see maureen farrel most days as she lives in the next road to me..what was your last name and i will ask her if she remembers you..will look forward to seeing any photos you have debbie..that would be great..

lyn

Last edited:
I remember going out briefly with a young lady (who I'd met at Rabone Chesterman, late'66/early'67) and who lived in Brougham St. I *think*/unsure/ her name was Pat, Irish, if I remember correctly. Sadly, being young and innocent, (before the testosterone kicked in) I'd said something which was misinterpreted, she told her brother and as a result, I got the old heave-ho! C'est la vie. I do wonder about her when passing that area (ah! - young love).

Jan 2015 - Found an old diary.......she was Pat Kelly @ 19 Brougham St

Hello all,

It's coming up to the 8th anniversary of this thread. Anyone up for a meet up this summer? Lyn? Keith?

David

Hello all,

It's coming up to the 8th anniversary of this thread. Anyone up for a meet up this summer? Lyn? Keith?

David

excellent idea david... anyone who has an interest in brougham st/villa st (may as well throw my st into the mix lol) or indeed harry lucas school just let us know and we will see if we can get up a gathering of the clan in the summer..david i will be in touch soon...

lyn

Last edited:
Stars
You did not say when . Below is a map c 1955 on which 56 is labelled, but , as lettering is a bit fuzzy I have coloured it red.

map_c_1955_Brougham_st_showing_no_56.jpg

Back