• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brougham Street, Lozells

Fantastic Photos Vine Searcher. 2 of the pics are of houses of mates of mine .Dont know if i am allowed to post there names on here ,,so i wont.

hi maxwell i lived in villa st my wife lived in brougham st at no 50 surname farrell who lived there in the 60s im going to put more photos on soon as i can thx vine searcher

and your wifes name should be Ann? If it is i remember her well .

hi again vine searcher...i may be wrong but i thought the moorehouse family lived at 106...depends what year you were there though......

Astoness

Sorry about that , i lived at no 20 through the 50s and till early 60s .
there was an Ann Farrel that lived close to the Rounds , she had had Polio, which was rife in the 50s, thank God its been eradicated in tha UK now

hi, i am new to this forum.

I wondered if any remembers janet and arthur burrows, young family, lived on brougham street mid to late 50's, janet is related to the Postons, they had 2 toddlers, janet moved away from Birmingham around 1960, does anyone remember what happened to Arthur.?

hi vic and a warm welcome to the forum..i lived in villa st next to brougham from 58 to 72 but sorry i cant recall the name... there are a few members on here who lived in brougham st so good luck with your search...

astoness

Hi Vic1, I lived oin Brougham St and was there at the time , ( born 1951 ) i cannot remember them, but remember the Postans , the dad was Wal , he worked nights at Dunlop and walked badly, i
think from an accident he had there. I used to play with Paul Postan , i lived at 20 and they lived at 26.

Hi Again,

Does anyone else remember anything, any information however irrelevant it seems much appreciated thanks vic

When I was a kid there used to be a big house with a pear orchard in the front (wonderful scrumping opportunity) directly next to Alexandra Terrace where we lived. There was a line of majestic sycamore trees overlooking the street and we kids had a great time playing with the "helicopter" seeds. Mom always used to refer to it as the "Bunns house". More recently, Glenda (are you still out there Glenda?) told it is was more correctly called the "Bubbs House". It was empty and derelict for some years before being converted to a "half way house" in the late 60's. It's now demolished.

Does anyone remember any history of this place?

Hi Dave

Yes I'm still here, although not been on this site for a while as there doesn't seem to have been much activity, or at least I haven't had any email notifications until today. I'm no registered so I use my hubby's login Robo.

I had doubts about the name so I have just phoned my brother who was friends with Colin and you were right it was Bunn, I think Mrs Bubb lived next door to us down the terrace and that's what confused me (doesn't take much these days)

My brother, Tony is still in touch with Michael Daley, who used to live at No. 46 and was also great friends with Colin Bunn and is still in touch with him. Colin lives in Cornwall now. Apparently Mr Bunn was some highup in the RAF and they also owned the glass company, which was at the bottom of their drive to the right, next to another little factory...think I remember it now.

Is your email address still the same ....are you on Facebook?

Would love to hear from you

Glenda

Well its nice to know that the 3 of us at least are still alive ( Glenda, me , and You David ) LOL

The big house was as you say BUNNS , I think Glenda you may be thinking of Ronnie Bubb , who went to the same schools as us ( St Silas And Harry Lucas ) i think he lived in Wills St ,but not sure .

The Big house ,i have to admit was first entered by yours truly ( i still have a scar on my wrist to prove it ), the " stuff " they left behind was incredible , i had a cine projector and old films ,Charlie Chaplain mainly .

Does anyone remember that one of the sons built his own car ! it was like a Roadster , but i dont think it ever got painted , i know one of the family was a dentist ,well , made false teeth.

Oh the wonderful Sycamore trees , can remember in the Autumn we used to make " Fags " out of the fallen leaves , oh dear !! Max

I should have mentioned that Brian Bowler is still around , he lives close to The Union Pub .

I had a sentimental journey a few weeks back walking up Villa St , along Wills St and then down Brougham St , its strange that Mrs Atkins ,who had the drapers shop next to our house , said that she had seen plans ,at the Church ( i understand that most of Brougham St was built on land that was owned by St Francis Church ) would ultimately be turned into a play st ,and a cul-de-sac !!!!!, well my old God Mother was spot on . Max

No 17, next to Alexandra terrace stopped being listed in Kellys between 1956 and 1962, though no 19, next door. Did have P.J.Bunn Ltd, glass merchants from 1962-1969.
The entries for no 17 are;
Before 1872 the houses were not numbered, the house not named and it is not clear if the house was there.
1871-1873 Mr George Benton, (Brougham house)
1876-1895 Mrs Benton (Brougham house)
1896 Thomas Llewellyn Lloyd ,physician & surgeon
1899 Barnabus Lett
1900 Not listed in Kellys
1903-1921 Archer joseph Brown
1932-1933 Stanley Phillip Bunn
1936-1940 Stanley Phillip Bunn, electrical engineer
1943-1950 Stanley Phillip Bunn
1956 Mrs Z.C.Bunn
The original (?) owner ,George Benton, was, according to the 1871 census, a retired brassfounder (69), His wife (I assume Mrs Benton in Kellys is his wife) lived to a ripe old age, as she was 66 in 1871
mike

Wow Mike, what brilliant information , is it easy to get access to "kellys directory ?

I know that Brougham st and Villa st ,pre-date the general build up of the area , so is ,as you have shown a very old st indeed .

I know that a "Brougham" was an old form of horse drawn transport , and i have always guessed that the st got its name from a business that existed there ?

I was further told that where the annexe to the school stood , ( would have been number 16 and reducing ) was a Pub called "the Boot" , any info on these points , or perhaps you could tells us how i could look it up myself .
Many thanks Max

Max
There are a few directories on https://www.historicaldirectories.org, and on ancestry but over the years I’ve bought copies on CD. They will be at the central library though, and I am always glad to help out in looking up anything. As has been pointed out on another thread, you have to be careful if you are looking for a particular number as renumbering has occurred.this was particularly around 1890, when a lot of streets which had benn numberd consecutively, 1,2,3,4,… up one side and then down the other, were renumbered odd numbers one side, even the other, with low numbers the same end of the road each side. For very early dates many streets were not then numbered, ie Brougham St before about 1873, and then you have to look for the same name (and assume they haven’t moved).
With regard to your queries, Carl chin says (and it seems pretty certain) that Brougham St was named after Lord Brougham, who, according to wikipedia, invented the Brougham carriage. The association with Birmingham was that he was (to quote Carl Chinn) “on very intimate terms of friendship” (make of that what you will) with James Watt junior , who was at Aston Hall. Apaprently he championed the Birmingham Manufacturing industry and was appreciated for it.
No 16 was listed as The Bath Tavern from at least 1872 - 1933 (in 1890 the landlord was Charles Frederick Rowbathan - appropriate for the Bath Tavern). By 1936 it was St Marys Catholic Boys Club. Possibly its nickname was The Boot
Mike

hi mike...brillient information...as max has pointed out brougham and villa st well preceded the rest of the area and when i have the time i should like to go back and delve into the history of villa street...

lyn

What an absolute Gem you are Mike,so the old folks who told me about the pub was right , (a good job it wasn't there when we lived there , we would never have seen my dad LOL ) i forgot ,it was St Mary s , it must have been that the pub was destroyed in the war ? I lived at no 20 and the houses at the back of our house , ( Down the entry, had gone , save for the bottom 2 ) Mr and Mrs Toms lived at 1 and Mr and Mrs Higins at the other ,

On Friday nights i think it was , i would climb up a half destroyed wall ,and watch "The big boys" boxing at the school club.

Does anyone remember when it caught fire , around 1956/7/8/9, my sister was soooo delighted with the firemen ,who were still changing out of their pyjamas .
Max

Hi Lynn , i know you have a good knowledge of pub history , anything on the Bath Tavern Brougham St

Does anyone have any information on bombing of Brougham st , i have a dilemma, the Bath Pub which Mike Jee has found out was no more in 1932 , 7 years prior to the outbreak of WW2 and yet at the back of our house, which was 2 doors down from The Bath, had a small bomb peck , where houses had obviously been , because parts of walls still existed , and the biggest brick built air raid shelter in the world LOL, so was it bombed in the 1st or 2nd war ?? Lucas factory not far away being the target i guess . Max

hi max...never heard of it until now...sounds a bit like my villa tavern that was in villa st...i think that one goes back as far as the 1830s...and i still want a pic of it...will ask around but i reckon the central library archives may be our best bet for both of these pubs...

lyn

Oh Wow! I've not visited the thread in perhaps a year and nobody posted for months, I add something and then in a matter of hours, six more replies!

Hi Glenda, yes I'm still here with the same email address. I've been thinking of contacting you but I'm such a disorganised so'n'so I lost your email address. My inbox and PC desktop are much like my mind, a complete shambles ! I guess it must be because of all those sycamore leaf fags !!

And Max! Fantastic! I remember you but my memory of specific events is very poor. In fact I still have a photo of your sister Delia with Glenda and me at my cousins house for a kids birthday at no 4 Alexandra Terrace around 1960(ish). Glenda I think I sent you a copy (didn't I?) Must dig it out and post it here

My cousin Sheila who used to live at No.4 Alexandra Terrace now lives in Great Barr. She has hundreds of old photos in her loft. I must pay a visit and scan 'em all one day.

In the 60s our family occupied all of the houses in Alex Terrace except no 2 where Mr and Mrs Hill lived. No 1, I believe was destroyed in WW2, we kids knew the spot as the "Bomb Peck"

Back to the Bunns House. Yes, I remember all the stuff that was left in there. We kids were all scared to go in though as it was surely haunted. I think it may have been me and Brian Bowler (Brian where are you?) who were brave enough to explore one day and I remember securing two wonderful trophies, A WW2 Nazi helmet and a gas mask which I proudly wore whilst playing in the street. I didn't quite understand at the time why it upset the grown ups sensibilities so much!
I remember Mrs Bubb. Didn't she live in between you and Brian in Marlborough Terrace Glenda?
And Mikejee what wonderful info you have dug out. It's great for me to piece together vague bits of memory I thought had completely gone and then you're adding more.

I twas great for me to meet up with Astoness (Lyn) and Mayfield (Kieth) last year for walkabout around the streets earlier this year and then have a nice pub lunch. Must do it again sometime !

I'll save some more later......

By-the-way my avatar pic is circa 1972. I don't quite look like that now !!!! Almost! But not quite :)

hi ya dave...good to see you back...it would be great if you could dig out those photos and post them...they help jog the memory lol...and maybe next year sometime we can all meet up again for another lunch....

lyn

hi ya dave...good to see you back...it would be great if you could dig out those photos and post them...they help jog the memory lol...and maybe next year sometime we can all meet up again for another lunch....

lyn

I Would really love to Lyn. And wouldn't it be great if Glenda and Max came as well !

it certainly would dave...and what about vine searchers wife..maureen...she lives in the next road to me...it could turn out quite a little gathering...

lyn

Back