• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Trams

Well Moss why have a bit when you can have the lot:D

Last edited:
Hi Alf,There are some pictures where the number doesn't tie up with the location or they have no number.
I am not a tram buff but i am interested in the locations of the photos.I will send them one at a time,and i am after the location.
This is not a quiz as i do not know the answer.
Moss.

My guess is that the tram has just come from Stafford Street on the left into Dale End - Padmores, Billiard table makers, moved to 3 Coleshill St in 1946. I can't see the car number, but assume it's one of the post-closure movements from Miller St to Kyotts Lake Rd for breaking up. Inspector on the front step, riding there on a car in service was a big no-no!

Padmores 1950s Coleshill Street, late 1950s Cheshire Street final move 1969 180 Lozells Road:)

Thanks Lloyd and Alf,having checked a map from the time the picture was taken i think you are right.
Are you ready for the next one?
Moss.

Yes, they were bombed out of 118 Edmund Street and moved to temporary premises in 95 Colmore Row in 1940, then 3 Coleshill Street 1946 then 'during the 50s' went to 8/12 Cheshire Street.

Ready and waiting for the next.

Must admit I don't recognise the area, but I googled Padmores and guessed it was at the end of the trams, and a look at the map showed it could (almost!) only have been where I said.
I do enjoy these 'work out where it is' type of posts.

Aha! This follows on from the previous shot. The absence of overhead wires is the clue - in the evening of 4th July 1953 24 trams were moved from Miller St depot to Kyotts Lake Rd works for scrapping. The wires had already been stripped from Carrs Lane, but because it was a downhill stretch it was decided to allow the cars to 'freewheel' down to Moor Street, where the overhead was still in place. This view of car 722 was taken by Robert Wiseman, and shows it rolling down Carrs Lane to Moor St at the bottom. The tight curve was the most difficult part of the coasting, 23 of the trams made it but no 586 stopped and needed a push from a breakdown wagon that was waiting in case of such a problem.
Notice another enthusiast in the road aiming his camera.

Moss You have your clues on your list if its 71 Navigation Street To Rubery or 79 Steelhouse Lane to Pype Hayes Park But I can't really see the Number

It looks like Tyburn Road:)

Last edited:
Alf in the distance which looks to be downhill,there are large buildings either side of the road so i cant imagine where on Tyburn road it might be.
Moss.

Sorry I don't know this one, but I'd hazard a guess at Bristol Rd, somewhere in the Northfield area. Of note is the show plough in place of the usual safety tray under the platform. Both ends would have had that, several cars were converted to be able to carry ploughs, perhaps explaining an open balcony car out on such a bad day.

Do you think it could be 78 and the picture taken down Streetly Road near the Short Heath terminus?
Moss.

Morning Lloyd,Sorry but there is less to go on, to identify the location of these last few.
Moss.

I'm almost sure this picture was taken just 2/3 stop fronm the 79 Tyburn Road terminuis, the road on the left is either Pype Hayes Road or Marshalbrook Rd.

In the distance you can just make out I think it was St. Mary's C of E Church on the left hand side it was quite a big church.

The Car number is 325 which I think was Miller Street sheded.

Ray

I'm almost sure this picture was taken just 2/3 stop fronm the 79 Tyburn Road terminuis, the road on the left is either Pype Hayes Road or Marshalbrook Rd.

In the distance you can just make out I think it was St. Mary's C of E Church on the left hand side it was quite a big church.

The Car number is 325 which I think was Miller Street sheded.

Ray

My first thought was Tyburn Road Ray but I was not sure about what looks like a garage on the left

Can anyone help me?Can anyone tell me where this picture was taken,i?I think both trams went to Salford Bridge but i cant imagine where it was taken.
Moss.

I can confirm that this picture is across the road from Midland Counties Dairy and is the junction of Corporation street & Aston Rd.

If anybody has the book Birmingham in the Electric Tramway Era pagr54 there is a picture of 2 trams at the same stop.

Ray

My memories of Trams are No 6 To Perry Barr Park No 6 to Town passing our lovely Fire Station No 3X Witton to Town & No 70 To Lickey Hills those were our treats:)

Last edited:
Here is one to fool people receiving this card who didn't know Birmingham trams were cobalt blue and cream. Seen at the Erdington terminus the dreaded postcard artist has coloured the car red!

I'm not a transport buff so i don't know if these are trams or trolley buses.This is a new picture to me.
Moss.

Steam Tram Moss. One engine, two trailers. The depot building is now 'International Stock' in Silver Street, Kings Heath.

Moss it's the same place as before Kings heath, see the lamp post in the foreground. Sorry to say the building not there, but as Lloyd says International Stock is built on the site.

Colin

Back