• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Trams

Has anyone any idea where this was taken?It appears to be a special occassion with all those people about.
Moss.

Kellys 1950 Stratford Road:

114 & 116 Beacon Accessories Co. Ltd. (showrooms)
... here is Kyotts Lake rd ...

118 Black Horse P.H. Geo.Powell

So the picture is looking down Kyotts lake road from junction with Stratford Road
mike

It is 679 in Kyotts Lake Road going to the works for scrapping on the evening of 4/7/1953. 679 had been the penultimate car on the 78 route to Short Heath

Moss it's the same place as before Kings heath, see the lamp post in the foreground. Sorry to say the building not there, but as Lloyd says International Stock is built on the site.
Colin
Some of the original building remains as part of the International Stock Warehouse - when the upstairs was open for records and CDs you could see the original iron roof trusses spanning between the walls.

Close indeed, frothy. I used to love the 'razor edge' styling of both these Triumph cars of the 50s

No mystery where this was taken! I was more of an M&B man myself!

Attachments

• Aston Cross c1953.jpg
    Aston Cross c1953.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 11
Here are a few more. The one of Acocks Green village isn't too good although its interesting to see the house on the corner of Warwick Rd and Dudley Park Rd (centre background) which is still there! The village was the transition of bus and tram. I think the bus on the left is the 1A from Five Ways. The one coming toward the camera from Dudley Park Rd is the No. 11, Outer Circle. The other tram pics are on Foundry Lane approaching Victoria & Wellington and Moor St at High St.

I'll try and find a few more.

Attachments

• Acocks Green Village c1932.jpg
    Acocks Green Village c1932.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Foundry Rd at corner of Victoria and Wellington c1939.jpg
    Foundry Rd at corner of Victoria and Wellington c1939.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 7
  • Moor St & High St c1953.jpg
    Moor St & High St c1953.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
The 3rd one haven't seen before. Nice one

Again after the closure, car 548 heading to Kyotts Lake Rd Works for scrapping.
The driver looks a bit youthful, perhaps one of the many enthusiasts who are seen hovering about and taking last rides on these final movement days?

If you want to see what Paul means about the macs take a look at early postings in the 'See Birmingham by Postcard' thread.

The Warstone Lane overturned tram accident in 1907 is quite well known and documented but can anyone throw any light on this later accident?. It is a top covered car and from the style of peoples clothes and ambulance could have been in the 1920's or 30's perhaps. I would be interested to know the location and route it was on too. Could that be a railway station entrance similar to Saltley Viaduct on the other side of the road?

Yes, Mike. I quote from J.S. Webb's "Black Country Tramways", vol.2, published 1976.

"On 22nd June the same year (1916) a Through Service car from Darlaston, no. 46, which was nearly full, had reached a point near Soho Road Station, Handsworth, when it jumped the rails and ran in towards the pavement. The car then turned over onto its side, probably after mounting the kerb. Thirty-nine passengers were injured, mostly by broken glass, the majority being sent home after treatment."

The '4' of its fleet number 46 can be seen by the headlight in picture 3, and a notice transfer can be seen in picture 2 on the car's bulkhead below the small window - where a Corporation car would have a used ticket box, with only the words "Used Tickets" on.

Picture 3 shows the recovery of the tram under way, the top deck is removed and dragged up the road and the lower deck is being dragged to the centre of the road where the steam crane will right it and lift it back onto the rails. Note the destination box under the driver's canopy: these were only fitted in the side windows of Corporation cars.

Many thanks Lloyd. It did occur to me that the livery didn't look BCT but I thought it might be a trick of the light as the car was on it's side. I hadn't noticed the destination box under the canopy either but am pleased that what I thought might be a railway station actually is. I wonder if the injured passengers got any compensation as they would rush to sue for now in this day and age.
As a matter of interest did you pick up my post from 'Todays Posts' as I didn't see it listed but it was in the Trams Thread list then caught your post whilst looking for a post asking about Moseley Road Depot that had been in Todays Posts then disappeared to Trams Thread. Have we got a tramway Bermuda Triangle here?

I remember those trucks with the man standing on the back with a shovel putting grit down in war lane harborne and on barnes hill weoley castle

Lloyd or M.Mike, I have aquired a few pictures of trams which I will show one at a time. Please let me know if they have been on before.View attachment 49637This one is car 563 on Erdington High Street by-pass 1953.

For this thread, do the pictures have to be Birmingham trams??

Trevor, Brum trams would be favourite on this thread but there is another thread under Transport - The Trams, called 'A Few Trams for a Change' that is ideal for trams from anywhere else. I shall look forward to seeing any tram pics you have got, between these two threads.

(Got your IM thanks- look out for reply by same.)
Mike

As most of you know I am not a true bus or tram enthusiast but I have a few pictures from someone who is. Here is another Henry Priestley photo of car 148 picking up passengers outside West Smethwick Depot.
View attachment 49694

Back