• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Trams

Kev The second photo in #453 is i believe as you said just past the Cross Keys going towards Sutton. the tram in 455 is at the bottom of Gravelly Hil going towards Erdington. Dek

Thanks Dek, so the Abbey Garage would be where the sign company is now?

i,m not sure about that as i recall from a child 60 years ago there has always been a man on a ladder painted on the gable wall of that building next to the Cross Keys the one that is there now is not the original .Dek p.s. i thought that building was a stone masons i could be wrong.

how I remember that scene Kev and standing for ages as a child in line for the tram home, truly memorable.
regards
paul

Kev i must retract my previous statement in#457 when i had a proper look i thought of the building being the Stone Masons that was as Lloyd said down by six ways just by Jaffrey Rd although the white building does look like the gable end of the Cross Keys sorry. Dek

my dad used to stand on the back of a lorry and shovel salt and grit onto the icy roads during the night and still get up and go to work the next morning . couldnt see it happening today ....

my dad used to stand on the back of a lorry and shovel salt and grit onto the icy roads during the night and still get up and go to work the next morning . couldnt see it happening today ....

My dad used to drive a 36 in the late 1930's so he may have known your dad and grandad, he used to go out at night on the gritting lorry also but I never was awake when he got back home. It was BCT that used to do the gritting as they were council owned, at least if you had a neighbour who was on a gritting lorry you got your road salted

BCT Gritting lorry, converted from an old bus. Gritting crews were paid extra to be on standby for overnight work in the event of icy conditions, and a good rate if called upon to work. They would keep the main roads and bus routes gritted during snowfall, so that services would run from first thing in the morning.
Duty as normal next day though! No 'driver's hours regulations' back then!

They did get a free full Englsh breakfast in the canteen on return from a full nights gritting though, which must have been very welcome!

Last edited:
Here is one to fool people receiving this card who didn't know Birmingham trams were cobalt blue and cream. Seen at the Erdington terminus the dreaded postcard artist has coloured the car red!

Just in case you wanted the correct livery I made a colour change for you, I hope you don't mind. This is the terminus which my family used and to this day we still refer to it as the tram terminus. We lived down the Chester Road, past Boldmere near Beach Road and had quite a walk there. My mother used to drag us up there for the daily shopping. later on, in about 1980 my sister and mother lived down the road on the left in your picture, the name slips my mind.

Regards
Humph

Broadfields Road, Humph. The trams have long gone, the Midland Bank is now a Midshires Building Society branch, but the row of shops still has the feel of the smart area it was when first built.

Hi Lloyd,
I could have sworn I had replied to you. I went onto Google Earth and travelled down Broadfields and realised you had to turn right at the bottom into Florence Road which is where the house was. Well I now have a picture of the house they used to live at.

Cheers
Humph

hi ya Bernie, The painting on the left looks like the tram me and dad would take to the lickys proberly not as I don't know the numbers, but such happy memories the one in the centre looks like aston cross? but not sure the end one very remonisant of winter eves with those very yellow light bulbs they used on the trams really great,
paul

Not sure if these old pics have been on before,but I found them in old copies of the Birminham Mail durin a recent clearout and thought they may be of interest to someone.

View attachment 57908View attachment 57909View attachment 57910
pencil.png
IMGP3107.jpgIMGP3106.jpg

Back