• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham on Sea

I second that Frothy but we could get a coach trip up to Birmingham on sea for a ride?. Jean.

If you know where we could borrow a coach Jean, I'd be more than happy to drive Forum folk there (and back!) Have just renewed me PSV licence for another year :D We could even have a run down the old Cheddar Gorge to make it a good day out,eh? Bet Mossy would be pleased to see us too. Pity we couldn't have got there for the 23rd and made it a Cheddar George day out to Birmingham on Sea LOL
Mike

What a cracking idea Mike why don't somebody on the forum organise a trip down here,if i was back in Brum i would have done it

I would get Jean on the apple juice LOL so come on some one you have no excuse you have got your driver Mike....perhaps you could hire an old midland red bus i dont know if that is possible just a thought

Mau-reece:D:D:D

Just got the joke mortorman Kime. Good one. Would be good but we all live so far from one another even in Brum. Never know though. Room for thought. Jean.

I used to be able get my hands on this beauty ( The Foster's Flyer) some years ago when it looked like this,now it's been restored to it's former glory, click link.
I don't know who owns it now?

EDV-502D-MW1828.jpg

https://www.bristolsu.co.uk/mw/operatordetails/westernnational/edv502d.htm

If you know where we could borrow a coach Jean, I'd be more than happy to drive Forum folk there (and back!) Have just renewed me PSV licence for another year :D We could even have a run down the old Cheddar Gorge to make it a good day out,eh? Bet Mossy would be pleased to see us too. Pity we couldn't have got there for the 23rd and made it a Cheddar George day out to Birmingham on Sea LOL
Mike
Hi. Mike. Would Llloyd know of someone who would hire a coach out to you possibly, just a thought.

The Sweetman Post Card Company gave Birmingham on Sea a strange colour in this 1950's "Solarchrome" view. This card was ahead of it's time though as it is in the larger 6"x4" size common today but rarely seen then.
(Golden Age post cards as they are known now were 5.1/2" x 3.1/2").
Wonder how long before sending picture post cards dies out altogether in this age of texting messages with instant photos.

When I lived in Yatton, I used to take my eldest two to Weston on the train, you could take a big pram on board it was great.
I got hold of the timetable today for the buses to Weston from the Mall, Cribbs Causeway (I expect Mossy will know where that is) thought I would use my bus pass for a day out. I expect I will go on a Saturday so will have to scower the pubs for Mossy

It was nice to bump into Chris and his Wife Kath '' Frothblower'' down here to day in Weston what are the chances of that:wave:

Mossy

Hi Mossy, hope it was warmer in Weston than it was here in Pilning. Hope this coming weekend is going to be okay, it's our first jamming weekend, we are at Holt Fleet, Ombersley,nr Worcester. It gets mighty cold in our little VW,best remember to take the bed socks

hi mossy..so glad you all met and had a good natter...you see even though you cant always get here there will always be someone who will seek you out....theres no escape...lol

im coming next....

lyn:)

Last edited:
We're home. 1 hour 45 minutes, not bad going was it.
Lovely meeting you and you Daughter today and the nipper as well:)

Jean its a joke about meeting Cliif and Clare the photos are of me and Linda:D:D:D

Mau-reece

I aked for that one didn't I. I only took a glance at the gent in his shorts [the first one] and ok fare cop. Jean.

Mike i have had surgery on one them:D:D:Dand before you say anything yes only the one:D:D

Mossy

Are there any old U.T.S. boy's who remember the school trip to Weston,c1948?.
It was an early start from Snow Hill,and a train to Bristol,we only had one causulty en route,one lad had to go to hospital,he put his arm through a train window.At Bristol we were met by charabangs to take us first to Chedder Gorge,for lunch and a tour of the caves.We didn't do too much damage,and then the walking wounded,continued onward to Weston.For most of us it would be our first glimpse of the sea.However that was not to be,the tide was out,so we were allowed to run wild in the glorious blue mud.Well,we were as mess when we started out,but now, also covered in mud,we where then reassembled,and taken to the Winter Gardens for tea,whilst a posh tea dance was in progress,I leave it to your imagination,what happend next,suffice to say it was both noisy and messy.The return journey must have been a nightmare for the teachers,by this time we were all on different charabangs,to were we started.I have often wondered if we left anyone behind.:rolleyes:

We used to go on school trips from Yew Tree Road juniors and I remember Patty falling over on the station platform and had loads of splinters in her legs and I went home covered in mud trying to reach the sea. Jean.

Hey Mossy, just had a another look at Lovely Linda & Mod Mossy, did anyone ask which part of the States you came from:D

Back