• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham on Sea

We looked at bungalows around Worle three years ago but eventually moved to Burnham on Sea and are pleased we did as its quieter here, you can find out about the Worle area by reading the Weston Mercury weekly newspaper.

Yes Dave the boating pools have gone,there is only one left and it is up by the miniature railway:)Mossy

In my posting #170 we saw the old Beach Bus Station selling Regent petrol. Here is a prewar view of the Sea Lawns and what a line up of petrol pumps at the bus station. Plenty of choice on offer, Cleveland, Esso, Pratts, National Benzole and Shell and others.

Taken from the same spot as the last view (The Grand Atlantic Hotel) but after the war, the petrol pumps at the Beach Bus Station have been removed. The driver of the car on the forecourt was perhaps expecting to fill his tank here. "Well, they were here last time we came"

It's a Post Card from a parallel dimension I think John, where the bus is going to LLIHPU (looks Welsh to me). Seriously, how did this mirror image not get noticed when it was printed. Be interesting if anyone out there can put it right with computer wizardry. It's a 1970's view that could be predicting how things will look if the EU decide we must drive on the right, although I doubt if they will alter the Old Pier as well.
Mike

Last edited:
Dave,
Many thanks, but the title is wrong this time!
About 20 years ago an expensive coffee-table book of aerial views of London reputedly penned by the late Alastair Cook was produced, in which four or five images were reversed - unfortunately, one was the cover picture. As it was probably destined more for the American market, I suppose they would be happier with the traffic in these photos.
Mistakes happen so easily.
Peter

Fraid not Lloyd, it's a left hand drive nepo pot sub and they also have a sub that fires seodeeprot at passing elddap sremaets. I think I will go for a lie down now and hopefully afterwards I will find normal postings have been resumed!

Last edited:
Aha I hear you say, he's completely cracked up now, poor soul, this is card shows Birmingham not Birmingham on Sea. True but where was it sent to? Thats right WSM and from Sheldon with a 1956 Yardley postmark so there is the link. No disrespects to the writer but to me their writing has the look of a prescription about it (take to a chemist and you could get it made up, as the old joke goes).

Thank you Dave M for giving us the chance to see and compare these designs. For myself I like No.6 as a nice compromise between the pier we knew and what will replace it. I daresay many will disagree but I wouldn't give tuppence for the rest of them and No.2 to me looks like recycled girders salvaged from the fire (or is that the intention). Be interesting to see which if any are chosen. Please keep us posted.

How's this for a charming Birthday card from W-S-M to Brum. Probably sent in an envelope as there is no postage stamp on it. The address is interesting too, an unusual surname at would that be 51 back of 3? Cato Street.

On the local news tonight they said No. 6 has been chosen, and it should be up and running by June 2010.

Yes Mike it is still pink but a different shade of pink,and at week ends you do get some Pink ladies........and a few pink men:D:DMau-reece

Re the 'birthday' card, perhaps you are not used to bad writing (like mine!) but I read the 'unusual' name as 'Webster', and sure enough in the 1901 census there is an 11 year old Amy Webster living at 53 Cato Street with her builder father George (47), mother Anne (49) sisters Frances (21), Anne (19), Bertha (19) and Emma (13).
There isn't a no.51, so the address must be 51 & 53 Cato Street - George's business perhaps, as he is listed as an 'Employer'.

Checking further, both Anne and Bertha are registered 3rd quarter 1881 in Aston, vol 6d page 339, so they must be twins!

Last edited:
Mau-reeece, is that where the saying in IN THE PINK comes from:D
Alf,
There used to be a bloke outside on a Saturday night selling the "PINK UN" with all the football results. I remember supping the local brew down there when I was but a youngster and the Brummies trying to figure out why the BARMan looked a bit blank when they asked for a pint of mild! We adn't got none o that in Wesson in them days mister, cos Georges' never done it - Cheers!:taste
Mike

Cracking photo Ragga, and all the better for being a local bus. The one in my pic was with the Crosville company in North Wales before working at WSM.
Mike

In 2007 I met and kidnapped my bloke from WSM and dragged him to Lincoln where he now lives with me!
WSM is the mobility scooter capital of the world!
We were on the pier just a few weeks after the fire, it was so sad.
We still go down there fairly regularly to visit friends and family. If you want somewhere to stay that's really good value and serves top notch breakfast, The Owl's Crest in Kewstoke is hard to beat. We've had some ropey overnight hotels stops around Weston and paid much more than London prices in the past year before finding this one!

Hello i cant put your name on its to long The Owl Crest is not far from The New Inn where we used to drink with Jack Dando many years ago,my brother lived in sand bay:)Mossy

Sorry I won't stay anywhere at the prices they charge today and most charge for Breakfast extra.:)

Just looked at the Owl's Crest their prices are pretty steep.

The New Inn is right next door to The Owl's Crest!
Alf, we have tried and tried in Weston. The Owl's Crest is breakfast included, and it's a good breakfast, unlike some around Weston. We found it much better value than any others we stayed in. The travel in was the same price without Breakfast and the Arosfa was £75 per night and absolutely diabolical. As for the Royal Pier - beyond the pale. They still go on about the Beatles staying there in the 60s, which is when they last showed the walls a paintbrush, I think, and last had a customer service training day.

Mossy the Arboretum lights are good, but for a different age, for size and effect Weston comes out on top :) Dave

Have been to see the carnival in Burnham to-night, was fantastic as usual, its in Weston next Monday, the 17th, at 7 30 if anyone can make it.

Glad to hear it was as good as ever John, just wish it wasn't on a Monday though, as it's not so easy to be there on a week night.
Mike

Nice photo Mike i did not know that it used to be a hotel,and that clock is still there,still telling the wrong time:)Mossy

Back