• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham on Sea

As winter sets in here is another reminder the much loved pier we lost back in the summer. Something else that quietly disappeared during the last few years but postcards have recorded it, is the old mock Tudor information office. Replaced, after a while without it (card 2), by the less attractive flat roof job seen in the third card.

Glad to hear it was as good as ever John, just wish it wasn't on a Monday though, as it's not so easy to be there on a week night.
Mike
Hi. Mike. I realise its awkward in the week to get down here, with work etc. you will make it one year I am sure. All the best. John.

Hello Mike,the sea on that postcard its just like that really:D...and the pier is all clear now the debris has all gone.....:)Mossy

Nice photos Mike and Dave,in to-days paper it was reported that a tipper lorry drove under neath the pier with the back up and damaged one of the pillars...you could not make it up:DMossy

And what about Brighton?
Just over 60 years ago to this very day I was staying with my great aunt in Saltdean, I was on a 12 bus, and who got on but my mate Terry Birch (probably no relation to you-know-who), three doors away and his parents. And my old flame Jean, from down the road, and her family always stayed every year with Aunty in Cannon Street.
Last Thursday I was down there, partly for the beer, but more important, to meet John Knight, aka Signman, who sends this site, a lot to think about. I didn't know he had previously run the pub we met in, the Waggon and Horses in Church Street. It was still a lovely place, with superbly kept beer, actually brewed in - ahem - London.
Since before I can remember, there have been Brummies there to make me feel at home.
Pity about the West Pier though. And there was the Chain Pier long before that. I rather think the rough seas could be worse there than in WSM. Even so Weston has plenty of nice sand for the non-drinkers - as for Brighton beach, "I have nothing to say" - to quote Stan Laurel.
Peter

And it was very nice to meet you Peter, and many thanks for the maps.
I enjoyed our chat and the drinks, glad you liked the beer.
Like you I feel so incensed about the West Pier, but it's gone now and that's it.
Kind Regards John.

Thanks for all the lovelty photos of Weston. Really brought back happy memories. Had many a holidy there as a child. When we arrived I can remember how excited I felt as we passed the floral clock which meant we had arrived. Also spent a lot of time in the Winter gardens and of course on the sands and the marina. Thanks a lot
Rustie:cool:

A view I saw from a bab until I was 16 or 17. We had our summer holidays every year in Great Yarmouth and stayed at a Guest House just down the road and almost opposite Wellington Pier.

Forgot to say that as my Dad worked at Fort Dunlop we always had the traditional Birmingham (motor?) fortnight, last week July and first week August. (Hope I remember right!) We overlapped with the Scottish holidays and there were always a load of them there for 1 of the weeks.

A view I saw from a bab until I was 16 or 17. We had our summer holidays every year in Great Yarmouth and stayed at a Guest House just down the road and almost opposite Wellington Pier.

Smashing card, what a great line up of period cars too. Thanks for that one David.

Yes Mike, Ford Pop and is that a Morris behind it? The motor bike and sidecar was just like the one my Uncle and Aunt came down to Yarmouth on.

Maurice, the 1903 damage to the prom was down to a bad storm that also caused considerable damage to the Old (Birnbeck) Pier.
Mike

Fast forward to 1934 and nothing to do with storms is WSM tram No.2 off the rails in Locking Road.

(In case she is watching, am being sensible now for the lady connected with horses!)

The big wheel has come to Weston and been erected on the beach lawns, it starts tomorrow and runs till November, its the same as was in Broad Street a few years ago.

DoesAny-body Still Go There As You Say TheSea Is Never In
The Only Thing I Can Ever Say About Weston, ItsGotPlenty Of Cafes And Its Got A Cracking Shopping Town ,Oh And Plenty Of Pubs And I Shall Be Going Down To Bream In The Next Couple Of Weeks Because We Have Got A Caravan On UnityFarm And The
Town Will Come Alive With The Annual Country And Western Festival And We Pop Into Western To Do Our Shopping Hopefuly I Might Spot Our Friend Mossy Out Side One Of
The Boozers Down There And Remonmiss Of A Couple Of Old Friends And Ladywood
But Getting Back To The Sea Side We Don,nt Bother - No Sand -No Sea

The tide was always out

Hi Astonian.
It was the same every year. The tide was always out, and if it was in, it always the wrong time.

ladywood

Thanks for those Ragga, that's shown em. No sand - No sea? Sometimes maybe, but if only you could bottle the ozone for your bronckials - fresh sea air with a hint of fish and chips - Magic! Ask Mossy.

You are perfectly right Mike that's what Weston is renowned for an thats why i live here:D

Mossy

Seen the sea loads of times but never that lovely shade of blue, to me it looks like Brown Windsor soup. Similar consistency as well. Weston is easy to reach and flat for the mrs wheelchair. We stayed at the Old Colonial but Mrs can't manage the stairs now . Still use the bar though.Shearings Grand Hotel serves us well. We visit Clevedon and Portishead. Nice old fashioned resorts. Yes Weston does us fine.

Arkrite have you been to Portishead to have a look at the new marina its brill,we go on the coast road and the views are great,i has some expensive shops there.

And you are right about Weston being suitable for wheelchairs that why they call the front the flat.

Living down here is very handy to get any where we have family in Weymouth and in Barnstable so we visit them from time to time ad always enjoy stopping in Weymouth at my late brothers wife,we used to go on holiday to weymouth for the past 20 years that was when my late brother lived on Portland Bill he used to have a pet shop in the old market,which has gone now
happy days

Mossy:)

On the local news last night they said there were queues all day to go on the wheel, its open from 10am to 10pm every day, the view on a clear day will be great, with the Millenium dome at Cardiff, Exmoor, The Mendips all easily seen, I know the sea is not allways in and it might be a muddy colour, but theres a hell of of a lot of sand, more than you can say for a lot of places where its only pebbles, and as Mossy says, living here is very close to a lot of places, we went to Torbay yesterday, only takes about 75 mins.

Back