• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham on Sea

Bet you are right Patty, I can just see 'em Mossy and Alf with the driftwood fires cooking the bangers and surfing the blue Weston sea to the sounds of the Beach Boys:1106: :1106:
Mike

Patty i cant stand crowded places no more the tickets for the party are sold out as soon as they go on sale,i like to see the kids enjoy themselves

Mossy:)

Peter that would be a certificate saying you had swam the said distance. It has coppied very well indeed. I used to take children for their free passes. The free pass as it was then consisted of jumping in the deep end treading water for 30 seconds swimming the length of the pool the pass was to be used at then climbing out at the other end without the use of the bar. The test became more difficult as you became older. It is more or less the same now only it is called the schollars award. [No free swimming any more]. Was your swim done at Erdington baths?. Bye. Jean.

Last edited:
Jean its also called elf & safety:D

Didn't think youwere allowed now adays to jump off tye top board in any swimming baths lots have been taken down

Back in 1979 I moved down to Weston with my job. I worked for IMI Witton at the time and they had a subsidiary in Weston.

When I started the factory was full of Brummies as the company had relocated from Birmingham in the 60's.

We bought a house on Bleadon Hill and when we had unpacked one neighbour came around with a pot of tea - she and her husband were from Walsall.
And then we sat in the back garden to drink it and heard the other neighbours - from West Brom.

No escape, but it was a great place to live.

In the summer on more than one occasion I would pop into the town centre to have a lunchtime stroll and get a prawn sarnie from M&S. I often met people I knew from Brum - me in my suit and they in t shirt and shorts.

I live in France now but if I moved back Weston would be high on the list of places to live.

Hi - I grew up in Weston (born in Sparkbrook) and I can confirm that the sea at Weston really is blue and that they didn't recolour the postcards, but I suspect they took the pictures on bright sunny winter morning or very very early on summer mornings - I've seen the sea looking bright blue but usually when I was doing my paper round on the prom.
I enjoyed looking at the photos of Weston on the posts - Yvonne

Is the fort still there at the end of Brean Down and can you still go round it? They tried blowing it up in the late 1970s and gave up because it was so solid.

Excellent :) many happy memories of exploring the old fort (then someone decided it wasn't safe, which is why they tried to blow it up) strange to think that something built as a Napoleonic fortification (& I think it was WW2 reinforcements as well) didn't really have a scratch on it until the 1970s - great way to treat the local heritage! will try to have a look at it next time I go to Weston - thanks again :)

Going back a bit now. The first (the Bovril tram) is a view from a postcard posted in 1908 and the second is at the same spot posted 1911. They must have been actually taken on the same day cos there's young Mossy in his boater hat still asleep on the bench, either that or he was really tired and slept for 3 years!:D

Ugh!!! flippin' awful place!!!
I'd rather see Brummies spend a couple of hours more on the motorway, and come and visit me in Cornwall. We don't get enough Brummies coming down to where I live, and I miss hearing the accent.

Yes I remember it well Dave, I have an advantage I used to work in Bristol for Vernons the office was in St Pauls I believe its changed a bit St Pauls.:)

Last edited:
Was Gracelands that big house on the top of Bleadon Hill - built by a Greek Takeawy owner?

There is big scooter convention in Weston the week end they are having a ride out at 1-30 to day i am going to it being a mod myself and love scooters, i will put some photos on later

Modmossy:D

There is big scooter convention in Weston the week end they are having a ride out at 1-30 to day i am going to it being a mod myself and love scooters, i will put some photos on later

Modmossy:D

Mossy you old prairie dog, I wish I was there this weekend being an old mod myself. Mine was a Lambretta TV 175, it would be worth a fortune now..... Shootin-Tootin Mabz :)

There is also a motor bike rally so hope they don't meet up. Mind you I think those days are over. Jean.

Believe it or not, I was sorting some early photos out for my eldest Son William's girlfriend and at the bottom of the box I found this,
badge I picked up somewhere.

View attachment 35393

Thanks Mabz, I really don't know where I got it and I never had a Scooter:)

Bits had a habit of dropping off scooters and cars way back. Its the way they were built back then which is not meant to be critical of the workmanship. Badge and trim fixings set up a chemical reaction which caused the fixings to fail and the fancy bits to fall off.
You probably picked it up in the road or a car park. As a kid I had a good collection of badges and assorted trim.....arkrite.

Afraid not Arkrite I use to collect badges years ago and I bought it just can't remember where, but I see your point:)

I had Bits of string marbles etc:D

lovely pics dave...hope its that nice when i go down to see mossy in a couple of weeks time...:):):)

More great photos Dave. The one on the end taken at dusk. until you enlarge it, looks like a cargo ship on the horizon. (The SS Knightstone?)

Back