• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Pictures

Hello Ray,
Many thanks for posting all your wonderful photos in your Aston and Lozells threads. I've really enjoyed looking at them. Hope there's a few more to come !
Phil

More great photos Ray - thank you. Can I just correct a couple of captions. On post 34 the Outdoor is not on Barton Street, but Park Lane
almost opposite Barton Street.

Post 35 looks more like Park ROAD, Aston, than Park Lane, the shops shown were in the stretch between Victoria Road, and Sycamore Road.

Ray have you got Holte road Yew tree road Witton lane and Station road please. Not asking much am I ????????. Keep them conming Ray they are a treasure. Jean.

Ray, Im sitting here speechless, just when you think you cant be suprised!
That photo of Aston hall rd; and Waterworks st; holds so many memories, I actually used to buy my sweets and beano fom Mrs Duffils the shop being demolished in the picture, I also got knocked over by a telegraph boy on a motor cycle on the crossing just out of the picture, as I was running out of Aston hall rd school to go into Duffils shop, I was knocked out and woke up in the headmasters study wondering where I was!

Ray have you got Holte road Yew tree road Witton lane and Station road please. Not asking much am I ????????. Keep them conming Ray they are a treasure. Jean.

They don't come to order they are snap shots of the moment Jean

Ray. I have said this before, and I will say it again. Fabulous pictures. Especially No.34. The one of Aston Station. That one certainly brings back memories. Barry.

hi barry...i have said thanks to ray that many times ive lost count...lol...the pics are brillient though...

lyn

looking at your pics Ray it was a sin that they were allowed to devistate Aston to a point that we are lost walking around aston now!!!!!!
robb128

#44 re The Church Tavern. I am sure that is our old window cleaners van Perry Barr window cleaners owned by the Haines family. Their son was Derek. Well I never. Oh Derek had very blond hair I remember. They lived just off Aston Lane in a grove. Jean.

hi robb..you will be starting me off again...but i agree with you 100%
im taking a trip down the lovers walk area later this week to take some pics..my bro reckons there are one or two old factories left standing...

lyn

Ray, surely that is the Queens pub in Queens Rd, and not the Church Tavern ??. I was born in Queens Rd in 1930 in one of Atkinsons Brewery's houses, at ?/87 Queens Rd, and the Queens was my Dads local ( next door to the brewery), also my Gran who lived at 84 Queens Rd was a regular in the "snug". I think the Church Tavern was in Aston Hall Rd by my Doctors house. There was the Church, the Dr's house, entrance to the"tip" then the Church Tavern nearly opposite the alms houses. I am 79 now but can still remember it as it all was. Eric

Last edited:
Thanks Ray.

Do you or folks have pictures of Lozells Congregational Church, top of Wheeler St (As the picture showing white building in Wheeler St on the first post)

Regards from another Ray.

Cookie come to think of it you are correct. My Dr was a Dr. Freshwater and the Church Tavern was the other side of the entrance to the Serpentine ground. Jean.

Cookie come to think of it you are correct. My Dr was a Dr. Freshwater and the Church Tavern was the other side of the entrance to the Serpentine ground. Jean.

Good job it wasn't Dr.STALEwater! What an advertisement for a dodgy hygeine practice that would have been!

Hello Jean, glad you confirm about Queens Pub. Later on in 1943 when my mum died I went to live with my Gran in Queens Rd and I had Dr Freshwater also a Dr Morgan, forgot whether he was before or after Dr Freshwater. Attached pic shows pub and brewery, I was born just below brewery. One of Rays other pics shows the Church Tavern and where the lovely old vicarage stood. Eric

Last edited:
Ray, here l am again giving more praises of your pictures on Aston...some of the views would be lost forever if it was'nt for these picture....that latest picture you have of church road is surely church lane as l remember those high steps in front of the houses..correct me if l'm wrong....Brenda

Ray, your 4th pic shows the Church Tavern and the ruins and lone tree in front was where the lovely old Vicarage stood. Happy days !!! I can also see the old GEC works where I had my first job in the drawing office in 1944 in Electric Avenue (an apt name) . Eric

Last edited:
Eric Dr Morgan came after Dr Freshwater then there was a Dr Helmi and after that it closed down. I have a photo of myself in that pub and attended many party's and weddings there as lots of us locals booked the upstairs room. Bye. Jean.

ok robb....i will be on foot anyway....even though the aston pics are just a tad off my neck o the woods im finding these pics fascinating...and we never know whats coming next...lol....

lyn

hi ya RAY ANOTHER REQUEST would you have a pic of Grosvenor Rd Aston off the Litchfield rd a Boydell Walter Houghton lived at 25 my Great GRANDAD
ROBB

Ray Thanks used to go to the Christmas kids party at Yew Tree school, as Grandparents lived on Witton Lane, back in the 50s Dave

Back