• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Pictures

thats i good idea astonite..i keep clicking from one to the other in case ive missed any of rays pics.....lol...

lyn

Robb my local pub the Groverner Arms was in Groverner Rd run by an ex Villa player, a Scotsman by the name of Jimmy Leach, buy him a drink and he would show you his FA Cup medal won sometime in the 20's. This was in the 1950's. Eric

Cant wait to see more of Rays Piccys ..... Can you ???
I hope he has`nt run out of them .
ragga ........

Oh thanks Pat you are so kind. I can see our house on one of them yours too and Denise's nans. I will copy them and send them to Albert. Thanks again me old mate from Holte road. Good idea what you've done Mike. TTFN. Jean. Pat I've just spotted Aunt Nell and Uncle Harry's house before it was demolished and the house where your Sandra lived. Jean.

Last edited:
Thanks Pat. I have some taken from aunt Floss's window somewhere and must sort them out. Did you see the photo of the Church Tavern further back on the thread with Derek Haines's dad van Perry Barr window cleaning services parked outside. Jean.

I did, and the one of the pub by the brewery and Diane Murrels house next to the pub, may have been her dads car outside to 2nd photo post 134

Last edited:
This has been on before, it's one of Phyllis Nicklins taken from the top of the flats near Salford park you can see Johnny Wrights in the distance and Sutherland st is on the far right , should bring back a few memories for those who havent seen it before.

good evening ray...as we are not allowed to swear i will just say blooming fantastic pics....that second one takes me right back...

Thank you so much....

Lyn

Last edited:
Welcome back Ray!
What memories you are bringing back for me! Aston Cross, Aston Road and Aston Brook. Great photos once again! I will gladly attempt to "brush up" the odd photo and re-post.
P.S. Bracebridge Street is only just up the road and getting warmer!!!!!!!

Thank you for sharing this wonderfull collection of photos with us, Ray. Thank you for the maps, Mike, one of which showed in greater detail than anything I have the roads where my Grandparents lived at the time of their marriage.

Raymond wonderful pics my favorite is Electric Av i lived i Tame road left fork by the G E C have filled up my car a few times at V I P garage thank you

Ray, once again I am speechless, they just get better and better! You have no idea how evocative those photos are, especially the one of the pet shop just by Aston station, also the ones of Aston cross, its like Christmas and your birthdays have come all at once. You need some kind of recognition for these wonderful photographs, as I, and many others have said, they are a very important piece of Birmingham history.
Once again Ray, a million thankyous, Astonite.

From one Ray of sunshine to another...thanks a million.
Now I am wondering,who had the foresight to capture all this before so much of it was swept away by "progress?"

hi astonite...like you i agree that ray should have some sort of recognition for all his efforts in putting on these splendid pics that why last week i start a thread under personel announcements thanking him..you may want to add your thanks on that...i cant get enough of them...lol

lyn...

hi ray b...i am sure ray g wont mind me telling you that the pics were taken by a good friend of his who lost his sight and wanted them to be seen by others.....

lyn

Great photo Ray, I was interested in the advert for Tabacco above the door & found (Mdland Red) this. I wonder if its the same company?
https://www.kchistory.org/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/Advert&CISOPTR=1800&
CISOBOX=1&REC=2

I think not. John Spencer Wills, of the Wills tobacco family, was a director of Midland Red bus company in the 1930s. The office block at Digbeth coach station was named 'Spencer House' after him.
Here's a Wills 'Midland Red' cigarette tin.

Ray, this is a fantastic set of photos. Thanks very much for posting them.
I hope you won't consider me too cheeky if I have a go at colour correcting some of the more faded (purpley) ones.

Ray. What more can I say??? Absolutely fantastic pictures of Aston Cross again. I really hope you appreciate just how much pics like these mean to the members on this forum. Fabulous stuff my friend, if you have more, then keep them coming. Im becoming a bit of an addict looking for whatever pictures you put up next. Cheers, Barry.

I know it's great, I keep looking on the Aston Cross one's to see if I am on it standing for the 39 bus. I love them and the Holte one's as I used to live in Hole rd and many a time I spent sitting on the Holte steps with a bag of crisps a pop while dad was having a pint. It was safe then

Back