• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Pictures

If my memory serves me well, there was a pet shop opposite the Villa Cross pub between Barker Street and George Street? Mabz

morning mabz..yes your memory does serve you correctly...my bro pete used to buy his rabbits from there when we lived in villa st...im sure ive got a pic of the shope somewhere...will try and find it....

lyn

morning mabz..yes your memory does serve you correctly...my bro pete used to buy his rabbits from there when we lived in villa st...im sure ive got a pic of the shope somewhere...will try and find it....

lyn

And a good morning to you too Lyn. If you could find the photograph it would be great? Mabz

If my memory serves me well, there was a pet shop opposite the Villa Cross pub between Barker Street and George Street? Mabz

Yes there was a pet shop there. Spent many a happy 5 minutes with my nose pressed up against the glass looking at all the animals. My mom used to shop up Villa Road every Saturday. Used to say we were going up "the village". Can't remember what it was called though.

Also the shop shown on the corner of Barker Street may not have been Cowdrills but Crowder and Brown at some point.

Yes there was a pet shop there. Spent many a happy 5 minutes with my nose pressed up against the glass looking at all the animals. My mom used to shop up Villa Road every Saturday. Used to say we were going up "the village". Can't remember what it was called though.

Also the shop shown on the corner of Barker Street may not have been Cowdrills but Crowder and Brown at some point.

Jules, wasn't Crowder and Brown's a car sales room?

Morning Jules - yes I agree. The name of Crowder and Brown sticks in my mind but I cant for the life of me remember what shop it was? Mabz

Was it a cycle shop? This is maddening! That could have been the shop called Cowdrills! I have a vague memory of there being a bike shop on the corner of Barker St and Villa Rd.

lol jules...ive just gone back on some old posts...and in august last year you thought it was a cycle shop.....

lyn

Keith there was a pet shop there. I went to a pet show at Bingley hall and a man had axalotles and I fell in love with them. He sent me to that pet shop who used to sell them. Jean. [axalotles not sure of the spelling?].

jules im pretty sure crowder and brown was a car dealership and cowrills a cycle shop...hey id rather you be consistant we all know where we stand then....lol..still trying to find that pic i have of the pet shop....

lyn

I'm sure you are probably right Lyn. Where was Crowder and Brown's then? Its a name that is very familiar - perhaps my dad had dealings with them.

Also anyone remember Supreme Taxi's. I think they were based at the top end of Villa Road or could have been on Soho Road?

lol jules ive no idea where crowders was....or the taxi place....we need a kellys look up me thinks...im anoyed now as i have a feeling i have lost the pet shop pic and i cant remember where i got it from.....im just off to cut the grass now so i will have a think....

lyn

Crowder & Brown were the Vauxhall dealership - they were located on the right hand side of Lozells Rd looking toward the Villa Cross - just a couple of hundred yards from the pub if I remember right.
here's a good shot showing them, this is one of the cracking photos posted by Ray yesterday - THANKS Ray !!!!

thanks mike...and col i missed that pic...god i must be slipping..lol..its all coming back to me now.must have walked past crowders 100s of times....

Lyn

I didn't realise Crowder & Brown had another garage premises in Lozells Road. When I grew up in Handsworth (1940's/1950's), Crowder & Brown were situated in South Road, just a short walk from us. Les Crowder was one of my Dad's friends, and Dad always used that garage. I think he might have also lived in South Road at that time as I remember going to a party of some kind there as a child, but not absolutely sure.

Judy

hi judy...arnt these pics of rays an ablsolute gem...they are stirring up memories for me that have long since been forgotton....

lyn

Yes Lyn, the photos that Ray is putting on are great. So thanks for that Ray, I am really enjoying seeing them.

Judy

thanks mike...and col i missed that pic...god i must be slipping..lol..its all coming back to me now.must have walked past crowders 100s of times....

Lyn

So that's where it was!! Like you Lyn must have walked past it 100s of times - lol.

Ray took a good look at your very first photo of Thompsons on this thread and I can still taste the chitterlins and hodge that I used to eat in my pushchair on the way home. Jean.

afternoon ray...brillient....i love the park lane pet shop pic...look at the old bike leaning on the lampost....

thank you....

lyn

The sausage meat was the best we used to roll it a ball and then flatten it and drop it into a pan of hot fat lovely and don't forget the fried black pudding with a piece of fried bread.

i have go it's meking feel hungry.

Speak Ray

Ray took a good look at your very first photo of Thompsons on this thread and I can still taste the chitterlins and hodge that I used to eat in my pushchair on the way home. Jean.

Hi Ray,

Fantastic pictures, do you have any of Church Road Aston? I believe it ran off Lichfield Rd, next to Pugh Road. I have searched high and low for a pic with no luck.

Regards Macca

Yes

Possible to-morrow Just Keep Viewing it's better than T/V

Ray

Hi Ray,

Fantastic pictures, do you have any of Church Road Aston? I believe it ran off Lichfield Rd, next to Pugh Road. I have searched high and low for a pic with no luck.

Regards Macca

Back