• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Where did you live

I was born in White Road, Sparkbrook, but we had to move out as the houses were knocked down and rebuilt, if anyone has any pictures of the original houses I would love to see them

HI C SMITH
I hope you do not mind me asking but are you related to robert whom i knew way back in the late 1950,s
He had a brother whom i just cannot recall his name he lived close to the bottom of thaty road and i recalll
visting him there at his parents house i beleive his brother had a job at some ware house where they
disributed pop records to record shops around the midlands and birmingham
his dad a bioigish black car and he went to the schooldown by the old T A Barracks on Golenhillock road
I Was A FRIEND TO ROBB SO I WAS WONDERING AS YOU ARE FROM THE SAME STREET
nd with the same surname you must be related i presume
should you not be his brother i do oologise for asking but if you are i would dearly love to meet up with him after all
these years even thou we are all old guys now
once again many thanks for reading my reqest by the way i left birminmgham many yearts ago
and i live in worcestershire now Astonian,,,, Alan

Hi csmith,
This was taken in 1935. I believe it to be White Rd, as that's where the family were living at that time.
6 May 1935 White Road, King George V Silver Jubilee.jpg

Thank you so much for the picture of white road, I am having difficulty finding any pictures of original houses. My uncle lived in the corner house of a little group of houses which had a shared courtyard which was up the next entry to ours. Cold damp draffty houses loo out the back, metal bath hung upon a nail outside, but lots of warm memories. Thanks,
Chris

Hi Alan, my brother-in-law's name is Robert Smith. Lived in Gladstone Road, the eldest of three lads. Robert and his brother Michael did attend Golden Hillock Road School, but the youngest brother went to a different school when they moved to Moseley. I think you may have asked me before if there is any connection, but I am only too willing to provide any more information. I hope this will help you in your search, My very best wishes - good luck,
Chris

HI Chris
Iknow in my heart and soul that robert is the lad and it had to be Gladstone road an not the road i though originly
because i was thinking very hard of a road that was just off the rail way bridge that meets you from belgrave road and crosses over the moseley road and i thought to myself the name of that road i walked down but it works clearly it was not
and it as to be Gladstone Road no mistaking of it
because robb did Attend that school i do know and it was after he left that school is when i met him
and he told me himself that he had been and left the school of Golden hillock school
his dad was a thin guy as i recall him in those days and his mom was on the small size i vistit there house afew times back
the last time we spoke was way back in 1961 and met
chris i am genuine and i aint no one after him for the wrong reason if you can mention to him about my reqeust
in looking for him and if you can contact him and asked him to recall 1959 to 1960 OF HIS LIFE AND MENTION
where was he then and think of any one by the name of Alan i am not allowed to mention my surname on the forum
for security reasons i am sure he may just recallme if you or him can contact me on our P M servies on this forum i can say more is dad drove us around at week ends occasionaly look foreward from hearing from you soon
By the wauy i lived in LADYWOOD at that period best wishes ALAN,,, Astonian,,

Hi Alan, I have just tried to phone my brother in law, but he must be off in his camper - he is an addicted fisherman, and in the summer hard to get hold of. I do not know how to private message, so I thought if you can just send me a private message, just type Rob, or Bob or something I will know it is you, and when I can get hold of him I can click on it on my emails and let you know - it would be nice if it works out.
Best wishes, Chris

Hi Chris
I have sent you my email this morning just moments ago I hope you receive it and I hope you can confirm it to me
By the system of on here there e,mail service just put yes but do not type any think else
But come through firstly on my other one to confirm as its private and confidential between us
On the subject of the photo its an old one and I would say that is the bottom end of the street with the coronation
Party or slightly half way way up Dobbs house was almost at the top and there front of the house
Was slightly diffent only by the front door it was one or two steps up into the front door
And his house was at the top end of the street trying to think back all those years possible about 6 or 10 house from the
Corner of the street , I hope you have received my email please ,et me know one way or another
Best wishes Astonian,,,,,Alan,,,,,,

Hi Chris
Hope you have received my message I sent today tell rob I am Alan I used to come with him
And his brother and mom and dad on Sunday day trips in 1958/9 I am sure he will recall me
And yes it was Gladstone road and not white road as I orinionaly said as I said the last time we met up
At his parents house in 1960 I lived on the number eight bus route best wishes Astonian,,, Alan,,,

I also born Dudley Road hospital, 1940 lived frankforg street hockley, then browning street till 1953, moved to acocks green greenwood avenue, now living in Rugeley staffs

I also born Dudley Road hospital, 1940 lived frankforg street hockley, then browning street till 1953, moved to acocks green greenwood avenue, now living in Rugeley staffs

I was also born down the road from Dudley road hospital, in Roseberry passage which was between Roseberry street and George street west moved to kings Norton 1955, then back in time to park road, hockley, then northfield, then I moved to Darlaston, Willenhall, great Wyrley Cannock, now in Cumbria phew! Been a busy life so far. I'm looking for people from springhill area around 1925-1955

Hi kimmi54
I was around in 55 we lived across the way up spring hill passage in the small end of kingedwards road
By Alibones of spring hill whom had a couple of shops on spring hill its self and one at the top of the springhill
Passage in kingedwards road and they had a house at the bottom of rosemary passage
On George street west facing st peters church with the gardens on the front of there houses
I am trying to tninkof a couple of family's I knew up that passage especially the girls
We used to play in that wreck of a park on the corner of Camden street and facing them houses
I used to walk up through there regular as clock work either to friends up by the canal at the top
Of rosemary street and clissold street we also used to nip into the bus garage and press the stop buttons
On the platforms or they was lined up awaiting to be brought into ypthe garage for cleaning
Often we would be chased by some one from the garage to get off the buses,
And I would come down through there weigh the hand carts of coal from new spring street wharf
I have lots of memories from the area of growing up in and weren't to steward street school
Before embarking to ickneild street school most of my friends either went to st Patrick's
Barford road I had to go there mom said my two cousin attend there they was from ford street
Barry and Bryan Phelps I used to go out with a girl named carol Paget from George street west
They moved up to the corner of clissold street and crab tree road as it was then
But they stretch western road down to there and its now completely western road
I grew up as we all do and used all the pubs within the area from spring hill
Library and both directions to the sand Pitts and the city
And towards dudley road right through to the red cow Smethwick my brother worked at Bulpitts
As a spinner and polisher best wishes Astonian,,,,,Alan,,,,

I was born in Clarendon Street, 1951.

Hi Wendy,
I'm getting in touch on behalf of my dad Bob Kidd, he is Connie' s son & was really pleased when he heard about this forum & that you'd been on it. We're training him on how to use the internet it would be great if we could get him back in touch with you.
Hope to hear from you
Thanks
Sam

Dunvegan Road Erdington, Russell Bank Road Four Oaks, Cowley and Headington in Oxford, Beech Road Erdington, Blackberry Lane and now Streetly Crescent in Four Oaks .

Last edited:
Born 60 Porchester Street, Aston moved 1966/67.
21 Turnhouse Road, Castle Vale until 1967 - 1970
1970 - 9 Markford Walk, Newtown 1970 - 1980.
1980 - moved to Kingsbury Road, Erdington,
1996 - moved to the other side of Erdington to present day.

I lived in Handsworth Wood - Greenridge Road, and know Acfold Road and Camplin Crescent very well...what years did you live there?
Just finding my way around this great site - thanks to everyone for posting the photos.
Was born at Chantry Crescent on Pheasey Estate and moved to Grestone Avenue, Handsworth Wood for the 50's & 60's - so had pals in Greenridge, Acfold and Camplin Cres. - (also to Stash - knew guys who lived in Davey Road, Broadway and Normandy Road).
Much time spent at Nan's in Wattville Road - schools at HKPS in Park Avenue off Soho Road & Handsworth Grammar at Grove Lane.

IMG_1982.JPG Hi everyone...I was born in Marston Green Hospital, then lived in Lawden Road, Small Heath, last flat on the left before the bridge, until 1960, then family moved to Lichfield where we are to this day!

Just bumped into site, always finding something new on this forum ,which is great.
Born 1938 at 7 Tillingham St Sparkbrook and lived there until I came to Oz in 1961.
The house and the area have since gone and maybe for the best as it was all going a bit downhill.
Cheers Tim

Born Nursing Home - Five Ways
1936 - 369 Court Lane Sutton Coldfield
1939 - 396 Court Lane Erdington . B23
1959 - Park Avenue Handsworth
1962 - Seaton Cornwall
1963 - Plymouth then to Plympton
1970 - Braunton
1993 - Barnstaple

As Tim says always finding something new on this site

Bob

Last edited:
Hi..I also lived in Sparkbrook..I was born in Main street in 1947 .There were a few pictures of the circus on Main Street a while ago .It would be interesting to see some more of the Street.Can anyone help Thank you.

We lived on Charlbury cres Yardley that has been demolished then moved to a Dare house on Moat Lane Yardley

I was born near Warley Woods. I have moved away three times but still keep coming back so I now live within three miles of where I was born

I was born in Hednesford but came to Birmingham when I was 6yrs in 1952.
1952-3 New Spring St Hockley
1954 69 Leamington Rd Sparkbrook
1955 Berners St Lozells
1955-6 69 Leamington Rd Sparkbrook
1957 Woodfield Rd Balsall Heath
1958 70 Langdale Rd Hamstead
1958 Manor Tavern Pub Aston
1959 136 Victoria Rd Aston
1959 100 Victoria Rd Aston
1959 Park Lane Aston
1959 28a Birchfield Rd Aston
1960 80 Victoria Rd Aston

I was there until I got married in 1967. Needless to say, I had an unstable childhood (but I'm alright now).

Me, myself & I were born in the front bedroom of 80 Holcombe Road, Tyseley.
I lived there until the mid to late 70's.
Then short spells at;
Moors Lane, Frankley(?)
Tynedale Road, Tyseley.
Richmond Road, Stechford.
A few years at Church Road, Yardley.
Another few years at Vera Road, Yardley.
Perton near Wolverhampton.
And now happy to be back in Brum :D

Dates are not my thing, sorry. ;)

Born 1949 in Dartmouth St Aston. Moved within a year to a Prefab in Umberslade Rd Selly Oak. Aged 10 yrs moved to the Woodcock lane area of Northfield. 1969 got married then lived in Stirchley,Cotteridge, Kings Norton and now Ludlow.

Back