• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Where did you live

I had an uncle lived in Francis st, had a builders yard. Name of Knowles. Anyone remember?

Tony

Do you know the number, because the only builders yard I remember in Francis St was opposite our house and was Middleton's but that was really the rear entrance and the postal address and main entrance was on Ashted Row. Though looking in Kelly's I see there was a builders yard at 136 which was down near the junction with Heneage Street by the name G Perkins & Sons but I would imagine they were gone by the mid to late 50's as that end of the street was the first to go.

I was born in Sorrento Hospital (as were all my children) then came home to Hall Green.
Moved to Lyndon Rd Stechford
12years later moved back to Blythsford Road, Hall Green
After 12years spent a couple of years in Moseley then back to Hall Green where I have lived since, although I have moved four times within this area. Guess I am a bit of a home bird, Brummie born, bred and never leaving by the looks of it!
In the last 30years I have travelled world wide but the base has always been this house.

This is a very interesting thread. I didn't realise there were so many members from Hall Green area.

Lived at 126 Moat Lane. Yardley, Brum 26 . John Crump OldBrit. Parker. Co USA
Nothing worth watching on TV, so just worked through "Where did you live" thread, and yours was the only one that rang bells. Travelled on 15b/17 bus along Moat Lane 1948-68 certainly remember the smoke laden upper level. My wife and her sister both went to Church Road school. Pre fab from Moat Lane to be found in Avoncroft Museum in Bromsgrove. Remember a bus crashing in fog near the junction with Vera Road. Oh I was in the "Life Boys" for a short while at Digbeth in the Field.

I was born and lived at 81 Rowheath Rd, Cotteridge then I got married and emigrated to Great Barr on the north side, but still a southsider at heart because those of my family that survive live there

I was born at Heathfield Road Maternity Hospital in 1955, lived in Longford Road Kingstanding for the first year and then moved to Overgreen Drive, Kingshurst where I lived until 1962. Moved to Tamworth and now live on a narrowboat in Barton under Needwood.

Born Sorrento Hospital 1957, livedAshbrook road for my first 6 months until mydad Got job at Pressed Steel Fisher Castle BROM LIVED IN CAS BROM mILLINGHTON rOAD

Hi Devon Jim, I wondered if it was the same accident. The sister of my sister in law was killed by a bus, just by Vera Road.

Hi cast alla
Funny you have mentionioned the Sorrento hospital I came down wake green road. Today and I remember it very well and Astbrook road
Many years ago I done a lot of work along that road but getting back to the Sorrento hospital
As I was passing I came to the part where the old hospital used to be its all gone as we all know new houses and flats are there now
But one big house on the pillars of the house on entry it said Sorrento court obvisiosly be the old hospital its named after
And emediatele as I am driving along I said to myself ah yes I will put that on the forum tonight because its been ten years since that was last mentioniond on here
All people have been going on about dudley red and other hospitals but never mention ion the Sorrento hospital so I thought I would also mention it now
And may be some one else as member was born there or have memorises of it I can recall when it closed down and was sold off in time gone bye best wishes Astonian,,,,,,,,,,,

I'm not sure of the number. My Aunty Cissie had a corner shop. Corner of Upper Webster St & Parliament St. My Aunty Connie lived a couple of doors away. My Nan lived across the road. My Aunty Nora & uncle Bill lived in a HPSauce owned house because they both worked there. All my mothers family lived in Aston. 5 sisters & 1 brother, Frank). They were the McHugh's. My mum loved Aston but my Dad hated it so we moved. Didn't stop till we reached Australia! I only have good memories of old Aston. Love this site.

WendyB I remember your Aunt Cissie McHugh, sometimes used the shop running errands for my mother, was her husband George? and son Peter?

I do remember the crash. I also remember driving over to my Grans in Smethwick and haveing to walk in front of Dads Rover to finnd the way back to Moat Lane in the DENSE FOG (SMOG?) Also feeling my way down Moat along the walls in the fog to get home. John

Yes, that's right. Cissie & George are both dead now. Peter (my cousin) is still alive. There was another son called Roger. He died quite young. Cissie sold that shop and bought a dress shop in Aldridge. I have loads of stories about Aston. My mum wrote them all down for me before she died.

Hi

Suggest you all read confessions of an aging transporter. Its online just google. It.
Absolutely brilliant.

Mike jenks

I was born in Foxwell Road, Bordesley Green East. Moved to Caldwell Rd, Alum Rock. Married and lived in Castle Bromwhich. Moved to North Wales and we are still here 60 years later. GEFF

I was born in Hednesford Staffordshire but my Dad brought me to Birmingham in 1953. First was Iknield St (opposite Warstone Lane) Then the first move was round the corner to Hingeston St. Then to all these places. 69 Leamington Road Sparkbrook, Berners St Lozells, back to Leamington Road, Melrose Ave (off Woodfield Road) Balsall Heath, 70 Langdale Road Hamstead, Manor Tavern Pub in Portland St Aston, back to Langdale Rd, 136 Victoria Road Aston, 100 Victoria Rd, Park Lane Aston, Birchfield Road (opposite Mansfield Rd) and finally I lived at 80 Victoria until I married in 1967. All this was between 1953 & 1960 when I was 7yrs to 14yrs old.

crikey banjo itchy feet or what lol...not sure if i posted where i have lived if i did it was ages back...

born 4/12 paddington st (just off summer lane) moved to villa st aged 5 in 1958 left there in 1972 to move into one of the new houses in uxbridge st newtown...berners st was not far from villa st was it...also our dad was bought up for a while at the rose and crown 126 hingeston st...what number did you live at..

lyn

Last edited:
You certainly got around in a short time Bango. What school did you attend when you lived on Icknield St., I assume you were 7 yrs old at the time?

Lyn, Berners St was at one end of Gerrard st/Nursery Rd and Villa St was at the other. Thats where the No8 turned the corner, I seem to remember a Post Office?
Incidently, my Aunt Betty & Frank Middleham ran a pub (can't remember the name) in Villa St sometime around the 60s.
I don't know the No of the house in Hingeston St. It was about 50yards down from Icknield St on the left and it was one of those houses up an entry in a courtyard.
Maggs, I went to Ellen St School and the classroom was alongside Ellen St itself.
All those addresses weren't a case of moving house in the normal sense, I stayed with different people (sometimes my Aunt Bett) in their houses. It was just me & my Dad.

yes thats right i think flights coaches was in berners st...the post office was on the corner of villa st and nursery road..from memory there were only 4 pubs your aunt and uncle could have run in the 60s...the white swan corner or farm st/villa st...the crown corner of villa st/nursery road..the vine inn villa st (i lived more or less opposite) and the villa tavern villa st...there should be photos of all of these on the villa st thread..

lyn

Last edited:
Yes, I remember Flights who were opposite Gower St. They also had a place in Victoria Rd opposite Potters Hill .My Aunt's pub:I remember walking up Villa St from Nursery Rd and it was on the left (not on a corner). Sorry, couldn't find any photos they may have been hacked.

hi barry well it could only have been the vine or the villa tavern...go to post 75 on the thread below there is a pic of the vine there and also some inside shots and here is a pic of the villa tavern that was just a few doors up on the same side..i believe this was demolished in the very early 60s but my memories of the vine are vivid as that was still there in 72 when we left the street...last orders was in 1978

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=15564&page=5&p=501012#post501012

Attachments

• villa tavern 2.jpg
    villa tavern 2.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Hi Graham, I'm fairly new to the Forum and I just noticed your post (Nov 3rd 2009 - post#6 Where Did You Live). I lived at 69 Leamington Road 1954-55 but, I believe the photos were all hacked at that time. Could you possibly re-post them. Barry

I was born in Atlantic Road, Kingstanding, but soon shifted to Court Lane (near the Chester Road) living there through the '60's, then out to Sutton Coldfield by about the age of 9. Briefly we lived at the top of Mill Street opposite Holy Trinity Church in Sutton, then settled in Butler's Lane.

Back