• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where did you live

I have a friend here 82 years old never moved from the village, still lives within 200 yards of where she was born.
Furthest she's ever been from home was a day trip to Amsterdam, thinks the Isle of Wight is 'abroad' :)
I have a cousin who lives in the house where she was born and where her Mom and Dad lived after the War on the Beeches estate

Born Clarendon St, Aston 1951
Coleraine Road, Great Barr
Cliveden Ave, Perry Barr
Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Wendy.....I was born in Clarendon Street as well...1953, number 27 lived there until October 1969....can I ask what house number ...

LIved at 21 Wavell Road washwood heath when growing up then Oxford House turves green in 1979 after that 34 Hrpers Road Norhfield

1936 ... born 394 Green Lane, Small Heath
1942 ... went to Earby, Yorkshire
1945-1947 ... 130 Bankes Road, Small Heath and
Bournemouth
1947-1964 ... 128 Bankes Road
Ever since Hertfordshire. Those 1940s dates are approximate only, it was a confused period.

Born in Harborne B17 on a new estate before the district border changed over to Quinton B32., (a long time ago!!) then to Hall Green and then moved to Devon.

Hi Wendy.....I was born in Clarendon Street as well...1953, number 27 lived there until October 1969....can I ask what house number ...
you must know of the Mc Hugh family. My aunts Cissie had the corner shop. It was my nans shop before Cissie had it. Even though we moved I used to visit my nan and my aunties.

A small extract from my mother's memoirs:
We managed to get a house in Clarendon Street. A small house but it was like heaven to us. A few weeks later war was declared.Everything seemed quiet for a few months. Tom was sent to a glass factory which made lenses for search lights so for quite some time he was in a reserved occupation. Then came the bombing.

Hi Wendy.....I cannot recall a McHugh family which is a shame, the only corner shops in Clarendon Street in my time was on the corner of Clarendon and Wilkinson Street, and on the corner of Clarendon Street and Upper Webster Street which when I lived there was owned by a Indian family.....

Hi Wendy.....I cannot recall a McHugh family which is a shame, the only corner shops in Clarendon Street in my time was on the corner of Clarendon and Wilkinson Street, and on the corner of Clarendon Street and Upper Webster Street which when I lived there was owned by a Indian family.....
I think my aunt Cissie sold that shop to them.

In Long Street, down an "entry" called Winterdyne Place until I was 13, then on to Tavistock Road, Acocks Green. I remember playing in Long Street, throwing up home-made parachutes and "bombs" with caps in them that banged on hitting the ground. It's all modernised there now, of course.

Hi everyone, just on the off chance that anyone else was born where I was... 120, Calshot Road, which is just off the Old Walsall Road, at the Scott Arms, Great Barr. Next door at 118, lived Frank Scott, and the other side, at 121, was Kathleen Harrison. Cheers!

Born Staffs moorlands 1942
1949-1961 Marsh Lane Erdington
1961-1967 Washwood Heath
67-68 Kingshurst
68-70 Marlene croft Chelmsley
70-98 Conway road Chelmsley
98 to present Bacons End (part of Chelmsley)

(AMJ my parents moved to Dare Road in 1970 and my first husband lived in Milverton 1950 -1961 his best friend Ted Massey lived in Ilsley he went to Australia.
My best friend Marjorie Vaughan lived at the shoe repair shop in south Road.)
My Family lived in Dare Road (Dick & Beattie Maker[Douglas & Pat]) and lived there from before 1939 at no17 My parents (Pat Maker & Joe Sutton) moved out of 17 and moved all the way across the road to no 10 in 1959 till 1969. The McCanns lived on the street at the time.

Were moving in September from Westgate on Sea ,to a lovely village called ST Nicholas at Wade 3 and a half miles away.

Back