• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tilton Road School

I was at the jumior school, and looking back, the senior school seems a very mysterious place. The picture of the passageway (behind double doors?) between them is very interesting. Who would have gone between the schools? Not us, surely? The senior hall looks a very grand and impessive place. Thanks so much for the photos.

Mr Turner and Mr Wadsworth look very young, yet they seemed quite middle-aged at the time! (Early '60s).

maria

A bit of history from National Archives records. Viv.

"Tilton Road Girls County Secondary School originated as the Senior Girls Department of Tilton Road Council School. It became a separate school in 1945. The school closed in 1977 and the buildings were used as an annexe to Small Heath School".

I attended Tilton Road School from 1959 infants to 1971 Seniors. Dick Turner, Ken Wadworth, Miss Wood, Mr Enoch and Mr Wildgoose, were members of staff on the infants/juniors with Miss Bonner as school secretary. Seniors were Mrs Harding , Head teacher, Miss Turner PE, Mrs Craven RE, Mrs McCarthy Science, Mrs Williams and Miss Hyatt art, Miss Passy and Miss Elson and her little dog took English and Miss Spence needlework. Mrs Costigan took geography and slept a lot during lessons and Miss Varley who took us to Oxford for a weeks holiday. At the time seeming to me to be an arm barracks type complex which was called camp school and who was a good friend Miss Turner. Miss Bowden with a small hump taught us shorthand and typing. There were more. Can anyone remember the domestic science teachers and the music teacher. Carole Field was my name then my sister Sandra also attended the school two years below my class year. Lots of details coming back after looking through the old photos still on site. Hope someone remembers me. Searching grey matter for more details.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Carole. Lovely to hear your memories of the school. I hope other members who know the school will see your post. Enjoy the forum. Viv.

welcome carole and thans for your memories of your old school...hope you enjoy the forum

lyn

I attended Tilton Road School from 1959 infants to 1971 Seniors. Dick Turner, Ken Wadworth, Miss Wood, Mr Enoch and Mr Wildgoose, were members of staff on the infants/juniors with Miss Bonner as school secretary. Seniors were Mrs Harding , Head teacher, Miss Turner PE, Mrs Craven RE, Mrs McCarthy Science, Mrs Williams and Miss Hyatt art, Miss Passy and Miss Elson and her little dog took English and Miss Spence needlework. Mrs Costigan took geography and slept a lot during lessons and Miss Varley who took us to Oxford for a weeks holiday. At the time seeming to me to be an arm barracks type complex which was called camp school and who was a good friend Miss Turner. Miss Bowden with a small hump taught us shorthand and typing. There were more. Can anyone remember the domestic science teachers and the music teacher. Carole Field was my name then my sister Sandra also attended the school two years below my class year. Lots of details coming back after looking through the old photos still on site. Hope someone remembers me. Searching grey matter for more details.

Carole, I was in the Infants & Juniors at or around the same time. I can't remember the name of my first teacher, but I think she had fair hair in a French pleat. Then I think it was Miss Richards, with newts in the classroom! AT the end I was in Mr Turner's class. I can still remember the geography of the school. There's a class photo which I'll post if I can track it down - actually, it might be on here already.

maria

Hi I have just seen these pictures and they have brought back many memories . My name is Jackie Sadler, and went to Tilton road school 1962-67ish. I have lost contact with everyone due to traveling. it was great to see the pictures. I do not visit Birmingham often. I now live in Windsor. So great the you have all taken the trouble to post pictures for us to see.
All take great care Jackie

i was also in the same class as Eileen Short, I remembered her but I just could not think of her name. or what class it was (age is catching up) I have lots of memories but sadly lost track of everyone. Take care Jackie

Hi i was at Tilton road around the same time as you. I remember all those teachers. I was always B stream, so i do not
I can not recall your surnames but then you will have married. my name was and still is Jackie Sadler. I have not lived in Birmingham for many years. But it wonderful to see those blasts from the past again.
Take great care
Jackie

Carole, I was in the Infants & Juniors at or around the same time. I can't remember the name of my first teacher, but I think she had fair hair in a French pleat. Then I think it was Miss Richards, with newts in the classroom! AT the end I was in Mr Turner's class. I can still remember the geography of the school. There's a class photo which I'll post if I can track it down - actually, it might be on here already.

maria
Hi Maria
I see the photograph thank you. Was Magenta your surname at school Maria. Who else was in your class and would you remember my sister Sandra Field. I recognise several faces on the photograph. Rodrick Paul, Philip Teague, Cathy Wade, Stephen Foster Keith Tovey Margaret Taggart, Vivianne Driscoll. Where are you on this photo Maria.

Last edited:
Hi i was at Tilton road around the same time as you. I remember all those teachers. I was always B stream, so i do not
I can not recall your surnames but then you will have married. my name was and still is Jackie Sadler. I have not lived in Birmingham for many years. But it wonderful to see those blasts from the past again.
Take great care
Jackie

Hi Jackie. Good to see your post. My name was Carole Field. I had a sister also at the school Sandra. Are you on any of the photos posted. I have a few which I will try and post if I can find them. Who else was in your class. I was with Mary Glastonbury, Vivianne Driscoll, Stanley Crowton, Philip Teague,Sandra Grey, Sally Vale, Sonia Gallexy and many more. Any names ring a bell there. In senior school I knew the Dorau twin, Deborah Hickin, Pat Ralph and Barbara Thompson,Theresa Foley and a few more.

Back