• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tilton Road School

Hi Jackie. It's Carole and yes I was head girl. It's was a joint position I shared with Barbara Thompson. I was well into my art at the time so spent a lot of time painting backdrops for school productions and creating art work for all the corridors and wall space around the school. You may remember me constantly covered in paint standing poised up a small ladder. Mary Glastonbury and Susan Bates would normally also be joining in.

It was all girls when i was there 62-66 aprox. i dont think i am in the photo but recall all those teachers names for various reasons, names gets mixed up because i do sometimes think was that Tilton road or Alma street.
I think I recall Maria being head girl but might be wrong. I recall Janet Hanson well. I think age is getting the better of me now(never mind) Take care thanks for your reply would be lovely see any more photos you have

I was only at the junior school but knew a lot of the people Carole mentions. Marcus Paul was also in my class, and Lewis (can't remember his second name) who was American and was a twin. I think there was a pair of girl twins with red hair, and one was Katrina. Was the other one Karen??
My real name is Christine, and my surname was Maylin- I like giving myself silly names on forums! :)

Hi Maria
I see the photograph thank you. Was Magenta your surname at school Maria. Who else was in your class and would you remember my sister Sandra Field. I recognise several faces on the photograph. Rodrick Paul, Philip Teague, Cathy Wade, Stephen Foster Keith Tovey Margaret Taggart, Vivianne Driscoll. Where are you on this photo Maria.
Hi Carol
I was in a class with your sister Sandra. My name was Denise Holloway. Our teacher in 4 th year was Miss Taylor. Please remember me to Sandra. I know you were in a higher year. Lots of names I remember I was there from 67-72. Sylvia Layton, Jackie Rowley, Julie Stanley amongst others

I attended Tilton Road School from 1959 infants to 1971 Seniors. Dick Turner, Ken Wadworth, Miss Wood, Mr Enoch and Mr Wildgoose, were members of staff on the infants/juniors with Miss Bonner as school secretary. Seniors were Mrs Harding , Head teacher, Miss Turner PE, Mrs Craven RE, Mrs McCarthy Science, Mrs Williams and Miss Hyatt art, Miss Passy and Miss Elson and her little dog took English and Miss Spence needlework. Mrs Costigan took geography and slept a lot during lessons and Miss Varley who took us to Oxford for a weeks holiday. At the time seeming to me to be an arm barracks type complex which was called camp school and who was a good friend Miss Turner. Miss Bowden with a small hump taught us shorthand and typing. There were more. Can anyone remember the domestic science teachers and the music teacher. Carole Field was my name then my sister Sandra also attended the school two years below my class year. Lots of details coming back after looking through the old photos still on site. Hope someone remembers me. Searching grey matter for more details.
Hi Carol. I remember you I was in the same class as Sandra. How is she? Our form teacher was Miss Taylor. I remember the music teacher. will try to think of her name

Last edited:
Miss Anscombe was the music teacher lol she had glasses and short curly hair. I liked Miss Elson and her Hillman Imp car. I remember the camp at Oxford:( everyone tried to escape

Miss Anscombe was the music teacher lol she had glasses and short curly hair. I liked Miss Elson and her Hillman Imp car. I remember the camp at Oxford:( everyone tried to escape
Wow yes. I recall her very well. She occupied the small room to the right of the stage. My friend Deborah Hickin took violin lessons with her for ages and when she finally preformed at an assembly I was shocked as she only managed to pluck a few strings no bow involved at all. I really loved Miss Elson. She was such a kind person always helpful and understanding. Do you remember her little dog. I think his name was sooty. Such fond memories. Speaking with Sandra later will tell her you have asked after her. Are you still in Living in Brum.

Oh yes forgot to mention the camp. What a dreadful place that was. San went there too. We were very worried about her after receiving a post card saying she was so very hungry and wanted to come home. I remember cooking sausages on a camp fire for tea and going off into the woods to look at wildlife. I think this was the systems way of getting inner city kids out of Brum and into the country as a treat although I don't think many of us will remember it that way at all. Quite a strange choice for those in my class anyway who could not afford to take the other more upmarket break option which was skiing in Switzerland. No contest I would say.
Julie Stanley was Sandra's best friend I remember her well. They remained friends after school too although they lost contact later unfortunately. Also recall Jackie Rowley. Have you any photos at all. I have some of the school itself will dig them out and try and get them posted.

Oh yes forgot to mention the camp. What a dreadful place that was. San went there too. We were very worried about her after receiving a post card saying she was so very hungry and wanted to come home. I remember cooking sausages on a camp fire for tea and going off into the woods to look at wildlife. I think this was the systems way of getting inner city kids out of Brum and into the country as a treat although I don't think many of us will remember it that way at all. Quite a strange choice for those in my class anyway who could not afford to take the other more upmarket break option which was skiing in Switzerland. No contest I would say.
Julie Stanley was Sandra's best friend I remember her well. They remained friends after school too although they lost contact later unfortunately. Also recall Jackie Rowley. Have you any photos at all. I have some of the school itself will dig them out and try and get them posted.

I lost touch with everyone. We moved back to Devon where I was born but now I live in Wolverhampton . Got 5 kids and 6 grandchildren :) no school photos unfortunately. Miss Elson was my favourite teacher. She had long hair and glasses. We all loved the dog :)

there were some good times but I was the shy one probably nobody remembers me. Lol
The camp was like a prison camp definitely. The matron and her husband were very strange. at breakfast they called us up one by one to collect post . I remember midnight feasts in the dorm. Elaine Griffin sleepwalked and started hitting at me in the night lol. The best part was the hot cocoa at night and watch an hour telly before lights out. We had an hour school lesson and then 'fun'. Yeah right lol

Last edited:
Carol, does Sandra remember me? I remember being jealous of her lovely straight brown shiny hair lol and I think you had blonder hair. You were both quite tall, (well everyone was taller than me) I had thin hair and always envied Sandra's haha. I remember that

Re: tilton road girls school

Thank you so much i cant tell you the feelings that brought back ..me on stage doing the reading for assembly setting up the dinner table and my class room on the upper left of hall our teacher was Miss Saunders and Mrs watts our elecution teacher who was 1 lovely lady the phrase we had to practise was ..help do come quickly theres a bee buzzing round my head ..haha ???? Looking for Beryl Worrall. Faye Kennedy, Gillian Rawlings and anyone else.

Jean Haines
I am Beryls daughter. Sadly mum died in 2013. Mum spoke many times of her school days and from what I remember she was a real live wire ha ha. Would you happen to have any photos of my mum from her childhood? Many thanks Sharon

Tilton road was my first infant school, I was there from 1971 to 72, when the school was closing? We lived at 3 back of 69 Tilton Road, which was the first court after the 'bomb peck' and was moved out up to Stechford in 72 so they could do the 'slum clearance' on Tilton Road. Miss Osborne was my first teacher (who somehow became my godmother) , then I moved to Miss Hughes' class the following year. there was a teacher in the next classroom called Miss Friend, and the head at that time was Mr Hinchcliffe? My mom worked as a dinner lady there for a while too.

how lovely to have a teacher as your godmother..she must have really taken a shine to you :) if you have any old photos we would love to see them please..thank you for posting

lyn

Hi Lyn, Sadly I have nothing from that time, apart from a school photo of around that time... not sure it was from Tilton Road though (as it was dated December 72), and lost touch with Miss Osborne (i'm sure she was called Wendy) after we moved away, I have seen the various photos on the forum, especially the one looking down Tilton Road towards the school, and they're bringing back a few memories.

i have the same problem...went to 3 schools and not one class photo..never mind we have our memories

lyn

Re: tilton road girls school

I went to Tilton Road between 66/67 until 1971. The headmistress was Mrs Harding, also one of the teachers was called Miss Passey I think she taught english.

Does anyone remember the gym teacher Miss Turner and the history teacher I can't think of her name though.

Eileen Griffiths (nee Priddey)
I went to Tilton Rd secondary modern Girls school 1960-1964. I remember Mrs Harding (Headmistress) Mrs watts, Miss/Mrs? Frankish Miss Morgan, Miss Turner, Miss Blower think there was also a Miss Marshall? to name but a few. I remember going youth hosteling had a good time - teachers were so different out of school environment. We had a laugh!
Denise Davis (neeThomas)

I remember the playing ground on the roof of the school and as you went past you got snowballs etc on your head:grinning:. ch pugh lawnmower factory was by a huge tip, on a sunday when i went to see me aunt we would mooch on it for anything any good, always went home with paint on me

Back