• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tilton Road School

Kathy try typing "Garrason Lane " into the search box top r/hand corner there maybe photos on there. There are more Tilton Rd photos on the forum not sure where they are.maybe Bordesly, or Tilton Rd Girls School Dek

I've really enjoyed this thread - so much nostalgia for me, it's just great. Kathy47 - I'm also from Tilton Rd., though the other end, going by what you say. I lived opposite T Williams Drop Forgings and the Blues ground. I remember the shops and places though I'd forgotten a lot of the names till they were mentioned on here. I do remember the names of Gardiner's the grocer shop about the middle of Tilton Rd. and Grubb's towards the school end, just before the 'bomb site' opposite the Royal George. I had to go to Gardiner's every Saturday to get my mom's groceries and it always took aaaaaages - the women in there used to yak yak yak for hours it seemed - and me, being just a kid, had to stand there and wait ! till eventually the lady who ran the shop took pity on me and started serving.

Fatfingers - loved the photo of Garrison Lane as well. My mom was born there and I think her house might have been about where the lorry is in the picture. I wonder if you have a photo that shows both sides of the road, as her house was about opposite where the South Holm was, which was a bit further down from the Royal George.

How about these Millie ?

If I have the holmes right, south holme should be just visible top right in the aerial photo, and at the top of the hill in the other one.

I've really enjoyed this thread - so much nostalgia for me, it's just great. Kathy47 - I'm also from Tilton Rd., though the other end, going by what you say. I lived opposite T Williams Drop Forgings and the Blues ground. I remember the shops and places though I'd forgotten a lot of the names till they were mentioned on here. I do remember the names of Gardiner's the grocer shop about the middle of Tilton Rd. and Grubb's towards the school end, just before the 'bomb site' opposite the Royal George. I had to go to Gardiner's every Saturday to get my mom's groceries and it always took aaaaaages - the women in there used to yak yak yak for hours it seemed - and me, being just a kid, had to stand there and wait ! till eventually the lady who ran the shop took pity on me and started serving.

Fatfingers - loved the photo of Garrison Lane as well. My mom was born there and I think her house might have been about where the lorry is in the picture. I wonder if you have a photo that shows both sides of the road, as her house was about opposite where the South Holm was, which was a bit further down from the Royal George.

The shop Gardiners was it run by two sisters? Also I think there was another shop quite near called McHails selling groceries. Am I right? Kathy M.

How about these Millie ?

If I have the holmes right, south holme should be just visible top right in the aerial photo, and at the top of the hill in the other one.
Col h Looking at the pictures brings back lots of memories. Also my brother used to work at T. Williams in Tilton road. Kathy M.

I too lived in Tilton Rd and lived just a few doors away from minnie Gardiners shop at number 45.I remember being sat down on the counter whilst mom and Minnie had a chat.I also recall the boards outside her shop that the kids used to play on and use as a stage.My nan also worked at T.Williams.

The shop Gardiners was it run by two sisters? Also I think there was another shop quite near called McHails selling groceries. Am I right? Kathy M.
Not sure about two sisters but I do remember Minnie Gardiner quite well.You are also Correct about McHails,Kathy I think her name was ?

Sounds like Manny's. couple of doors away from Tilton towards Temlefield St.

Used to sell Park Drive tipped in 5 packets, so popular with the older kids... Before No.6 came out.

Or you could mean Musgroves, on the opposite side.

BTW, Noticed that theres some pics from tilton rd school on the front of Carl Chinns magazine, taken in 1958.

I remember Mannys, I used to do a paper round for her.Musgroves too,I was at school and at scouts with the owners son Robert.I think they called the shop"The Superette"
Do you remember the offlicense on the corner of Templefield St,pretty much opposite Musgroves ?The owners were a family called Norgrove.Again I palled around with their son Martin who attended the same school and cub /scout group.Allways loved the smell of that offlicense,should have known it was the start of a slippery slope!!!

Not sure about two sisters but I do remember Minnie Gardiner quite well.You are also Correct about McHails,Kathy I think her name was ?
I can't remember her name all I know is she had a young son, I remember him for his striking black hair and blue eyes. As you lived in Tilton road do you remember EVANS paper shop. Kathy M.

I can't remember her name all I know is she had a young son, I remember him for his striking black hair and blue eyes. As you lived in Tilton road do you remember EVANS paper shop. Kathy M.

Indeed I do,fetched many a sports argus for my grandad.

Kathy try typing "Garrason Lane " into the search box top r/hand corner there maybe photos on there. There are more Tilton Rd photos on the forum not sure where they are.maybe Bordesly, or Tilton Rd Girls School Dek
Thanks for the suggestion. I did look through and found a lot of photo's I had not seen before. A lot of interesting pictures there. Many thanks to you. Kathy M.

Millie do you have any pictures of the street you lived in? I lived the other end of Tilton road just by the school. Thanks Kathy M.

Haven't been able to get back to the site for a few days - great to catch up on the memories. I don't know how to do the quote/multiple quote thing, so hope I can answer all the questions.

Fatfingers - the holm photo is grand - , sorry it doesn't show both sides of the road, but it brings back so many memories. My mom had a friend who lived there, & I remember playing around those places with her children, playing hide & seek in and out of the passages & tunnels - great fun.

I do remember Manny's sweet shop, used to go there all the time with our weekend pocket money - when we didn't go into town with mom, or up the 'Cov' (Coventry Road) to spend it - till mom told us we couldn't go there anymore. Then we used to go across the road, to what must have been Musgroves, though i didn't remember that name till it was mentioned here. Seems she had a set-to with Manny one day (that I won't go into here).

Sad to say, I don't have any photos of the old Tilton Road; it wasn't something we did, except for a few holiday snaps of Margate or Southend - such a pity. That's one of the reasons that I find this site so fascinating - and helpful.

Hello Millie,
Yes we didn't take pictures back then either. Infact we didn't own a camera. Just thankful for the people that have posted their pictures of the past. Maybe one day pictures will turn up actually of the Tilton road we lived in. Kathy M.

Haven't been able to get back to the site for a few days - great to catch up on the memories. I don't know how to do the quote/multiple quote thing, so hope I can answer all the questions.

Fatfingers - the holm photo is grand - , sorry it doesn't show both sides of the road, but it brings back so many memories. My mom had a friend who lived there, & I remember playing around those places with her children, playing hide & seek in and out of the passages & tunnels - great fun.

I do remember Manny's sweet shop, used to go there all the time with our weekend pocket money - when we didn't go into town with mom, or up the 'Cov' (Coventry Road) to spend it - till mom told us we couldn't go there anymore. Then we used to go across the road, to what must have been Musgroves, though i didn't remember that name till it was mentioned here. Seems she had a set-to with Manny one day (that I won't go into here).

Sad to say, I don't have any photos of the old Tilton Road; it wasn't something we did, except for a few holiday snaps of Margate or Southend - such a pity. That's one of the reasons that I find this site so fascinating - and helpful.

Other side of the road - or did you mean other side of South Holme ?

i whent to st andrews school in ada road best day of my life and dixon road school back in the days i used to drink in the the old loge dolfin greenway wrexham cottage horse jocker plum and feather the jocker was on bordesley park rd and the plume was on miles st

Great photo of the Senior Hall at Tilton Road. I went to the Junior School, and the Senior School (behind those double doors?) seemed very mysterious. Always wondered what it was like inside. A very interesting building.

There are photos of Tilton Road Juniors on Friends Reunited.

I think Susan Maughan's sister was Irene we used to play together at my house in Glover St.My aunt Frances (Patrick) used to bring her down.

Your thinking of Irene or maybe Eileen Short, I think she left Tilton Rd while still in the juniors

Re: tilton road girls school

Hello there,

I was wondering if you could repost the pics of the teachers/class rooms from Tilton Rd school as most of the images on the site are no longer displaying (in particular someone mentioned seeing one with Mr Wadsworth). If you have the time that would be great.
Thanks a lot

Thanks a lot, for re-posting the pictures!!... I had no idea Mr Wadsworth was there for so long, it would have been the late 60's early 70's when I knew him. He was my favourite teacher.

Back