• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kingstanding

The Billiard Hall 1984

The lighting in there was rubbish, great when you was playing but as soon as you walked away from the table it was like the black hole of Calcutta, well, so i have been told LOL

Its called Maximums now, a sort of night club. It is like the black hole of Calcutta!!! I went in there on Friday for the first time and walked straight back out again!

Dave M in one of your photo's I noticed Rochells the butchers. The mom and dad used to live up our road and the daughter opposite them. They used to sell cows udder by the lb and it sold like hot cakes. They had another family shop on the Kingstandin road just down from Dyas road and my neice Helen [sky blue] worked there for a while. I think she left after a compulsary visit to the abotoir. The butchers is now a Greggs bread and cake shop. TTFN..Jean.

Rochells the butchers kingstanding rd:
John Rochell had this shop, he took over from his father, the meat was fabulous. On his retirement he 'shut up shop' and retired!!! Its now a Indian takeaway.

That's right Carol. When John retire through ill health his son took over. My daughter in law bought her meat from there and was also fed up when they left. Have some photo's of John the dad at my nieces 21st fancy dress party. TTFN.. Jean.

Our dog used to have a bone from John. One day I took her to the hairdressers a few doors down, I had to pull her away from the the empty Rochells shop, she was scratching the glass door and whining for her bone!!

Rochells the butchers kingstanding rd:
John Rochell had this shop, he took over from his father, the meat was fabulous. On his retirement he 'shut up shop' and retired!!! Its now a Indian takeaway.

I went to school with Freddie Rochelle, Cranbourne Road infants and juniors. I wonder if he's still around. E.

Could some kind soul tell me how to get to Sutton Park from Kingstanding?

Could some kind soul tell me how to get to Sutton Park from Kingstanding?

Walk or Ride.

Walk Kingstanding Circle walk up rough roadand down to Sutton Park Banners Gate.

451 Bus to Sutton walk through Gracechurch and out the back entrancecross and walk down Park Road to Town Gate,

Or get off 451 at , Jockey Road and walk down Stonehouse Road to Boldmere Gate

Harborne go to the side where the neighbourhood office is carry on up and over the hill and Sutton park is at the bottom of the hill. That is the Boldmere gate. Can't bring to mind the name of the road but if I do will IM you. Jean.

Ray it only takes ten minutes to the Boldmere gate to walk but yours is the best bus route. Depends which gate you want. Jean.

My late cousin Sheila & her Mom used to live in Kingstanding & I've been looking through old photos today. I really must scan & post some of them in case there's anyone out there who might know some of the names of residents on pictures I have. Will go & search them out now. My aunt Molly was Hilda Violet Gray (her nickname was Molly, everyone knew her as that). My cousin was Sheila Gray but wed while in Kingstanding so was also 'Schuler' too........I think they lived in the area for quite a long time. From the look of the photos they may well have backed onto school grounds.......must go & search.

Hope I'm ok posting these pics here.
One is the view from Sheila & Mollys house at 173 Kingstanding Road. there are 2 from Kingstanding Congregational Church Panto (no date for def but maybe around the 1940's??)
The bride is a Mary Hindle nee Wiltshire who lived at 169 Kingstanding Road & the 'grown up' couple are Nora & Bery Hearnshaw from 165 Kingstanding Road.

I've just looked & it seemed that my relatives were in Kingstanding Road from about the early 1930's onwards.

My fathers mother lived at number 1 Hurlingham Road from the thirties until her death in the late sixties. The house was on the corner with a large Monkey Tree in the front garden.

After posting the photos I had this sudden thought......I dont even know if Kingstanding Road is in Kingstanding!!! I just assumed it was......eek.

The one side where my friend lives is Gt Barr and the other Kingstanding. I was on the local forum and that point came up. I will try and get a copy of the police sector map. We live in Dunedin one end of the Kingstanding road and my son lives at the Hawthorn end in Dyas road. We both have a B44 post code but the other side is the start of Kingstanding. When it comes to the elections we are Oscott ward [local] but the general comes under Perry Barr. Barmy isn't it. Jean.

Thanks for your help folks, I'm going to take myself off there regularly now for a walk through Sutton Park as I know Kingstanding but none of the other entrances.

Maybe see you there (hint, hint, if we had badges...)

Thanks Dave but I'm going on the bus and wouldn't know where to get off or what bus to catch, I'd go and get in a tizzy and miss the stop knowing me. I know I can get a bus to Kingstanding but does it stop at the Streetly entrance, do you know?

Dave, on your picture titled "Circle 2" There is a gentleman riding a early invalid carraige, I remember someone riding one of those vehicles around Kingstanding when I was a younger, It could well be him. they were strange vehicles, propelled by hand operated levers which were pushed and pulled forward and backward, I imagine they were steered with the feet.
I used to have something similar when I was a lad. Goffy

Dolphie when we get back next week I will take photo's of those houses for you. Have made a note of the three numbers. Jean.

Hi Folks , thanks for al the wonderful stories and picture's of Kingstanding , bought back many happy thoughts of my childhood there.

Back