• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kingstanding

Aw thank you Jean, that's so kind of you. I'm hoping someone on here knows of the Hearnshaws & Wiltshires as the photos could do with going to a good home really. I dont know the people but it woud be great to pass them on to family etc who knew them wouldnt it??

Dolphie will go through our local phone book. Were free calls so don't worry. Does anyone remember Helen from Rochells she had different colour hair every time you went to the shop. She is skye blue on the forum and is posting tonight [if she can get a look in] 3 children at home. BYE. jEAN.

Do any of you kinstandingites remember Mrs Phillips from No 100 Sidcup Road, she used to sell sweets and pop from her back kitchen ?

I remember her, athough we didn't know her name at the time, we used to just call her 'the old lady'.

She had a basket trolley with the sweets in and she always wanted you to bring your own bottle for the pop.

If the bottle wasn't full when she'd poured it from her bottle she'd top it up under the kitchen tap. E.

Thats correct Eric , she filled you pop bottle with a funnel , and the sweets were in the big brown trolley , but could not have any if you did not have your sweet coupon . Mike

Goffey
My Husband was born in Kingstanding Kings Rd, and I was born in Lennox Street, what no did yor dad live in Lennox St?

Mostly I remember buying the drinks made up and served in a small bottle
from our local Post Office on Marsh Hill, Erdington in the l950's. My Aunty lived in Kingstanding and we used to buy the same thing from a shop in the Kingstanding Circle. The drinks were called Vantas. I did a little checking around because I remember my Father saying that he remembers them from
at least l917. He was correct because the Vantas style drinks came on the market in 1903. Some shops didn't have the oxygen cylinder but used bottled soda water to give the Vantas drink it's sparkle.

https://www.waitrose.com/drink/softdrinks/softdrinksarticles/0208093.aspx

Jennyanne I remember the 1p vantas from Vicarage road opposite my school. I loved the green ones best and the home made toffees on a stick. Maybe that's why I havent got a sweat tooth anymore. Jean.

Hi Jean: I liked the blue Vantas. I think it had a spearmint flavour. I am not sure when the Vantas system disappeared from the sweet shops, etc. I
imagine some shopkeepers made them better than others. Before Health and Safety there was quite a bit of home made sweet stuff in those shops. Not these days.

DaveM
How sad,I remember the finchley park paddling pool well,it was neat,had a well clipped privet hedge around it and a patrolling park keeper.
Close by were the swings,the pancake and the witches hat rides.They would be considered extremely dangerous for children today.
There was also a roundabout and a large rocking horse,we always left the park feeling sick from the rides and the big lads used to pump the pump until we thought it would break off and fly through the air.OMG those were the days.We were poor but didn't know it as everyone was the same.

Hello Rozipoz, did you know the Lett family...Cat
I used to know a Letts family,in Dulwich Grove,bobby,David and patty.
Remember the Willetts and the Proctors,are these the same Letts?

Thanks for your help folks, I'm going to take myself off there regularly now for a walk through Sutton Park as I know Kingstanding but none of the other entrances.

Maybe see you there (hint, hint, if we had badges...)
Tee hee Harborne,see you at Banners gate,i'll be wearing a white sportscoat and a pink carnation........and er,silly grin.

Apologize if I repeat any photo`s, or been posted before,

The Circle
I was there just yesterday afternoon,this picture looks so neat,tidy and barren compared to now.
How I wish Kingstanding were as it used to be,Ho,hum.

There used to be an old lady in Chingford road,she sold us toffee apples,I will always remember her flowered cross-over apron and she used to take snuff.
Has anyone got photos of the Mayfair cinema(the flea-pit)?
Used to go there every saturday to the matinee to see Hopalong Cassidy and Buster Crabbe with Emperor Ming.
We would cheer and boo at the hero's and villains,buy our sweets from Edwards sweet shop next door and play up Bert the poor doorman who seemed ancient to us.
Happy days.

Hello Rozipoz, Yes i knew all of them, The Willets lived just up the road and the Proctors on the road that runs down from the pub and library David or Teddy went out with a friend of mine. Bobby Lett was my first love, We met in a cafe on College road on a Saturday where my friends and i would go for a coffee and some fun with the boys continually played La Bamba on the juke box...Cat

Langy knows the Proctors.

We used to go on the roundabout and witches hat, my big brothers used to crucify us on them. They'd run off and leave us feeling dizzy and sick. Remember the brook than ran through the park? My brothers used get old bits of scrap from them and build their own go-carts, I remember running under College road ain the tunnel and coming up through Hurstwood rd. Happy days?

I was just about to post the same photo of the Mayfair Cinema, but Dave M beat me to it, so I will post the other one I have although it is of poorer quality. I'm also posting one of The Circle and two of Kingstanding Rec.

Phil

KingstandingCollegeRdMayfairCinema.jpg

KingstandingCircle1984.jpg

KingstandingRec2.jpg

KingstandingRecreationGroundspaddlingpool1930.jpg

OMG that bloody horse, that could be me watching my brothers!!

OMG that bloody horse, that could be me watching my brothers!!

I'm interested why in the horse photo, why the young girl first left is holding a noose. Is it a lynching party.

Phil

As you liked the other ones here are some more.

An even better one of the Mayfair.
One of the Odeon.
One of The Snooker Hall
Another one of the Circle.
and one of Hurlingham Rd is looks nice and clean.

Phil

KingstandingMayfairCollegeRd.jpg

KinstandingOdeonOpening220735.jpg

KingstandingKingstandingRdBilliardHall1984.jpg

KingstandingCirclepc.jpg

KingstandingHurlinghamRd2.jpg

Thank you again PMC, The billiards hall looks somewhat different i have a photograph of myself taken outside the hall, (don't know why there ) but my sister has claimed it and want let me have it. The Mayfair looks huge and yes everything does look cleaner litter was not dropped in those days...Cat

I am sure that you know that that noose was a girls trusty skipping rope.

I was thinking about remembering peoples surnames and it was the way we where brought up, because we called our neighbours by their surnames Mr Jones or Mrs Smith children had good manners in those days.

Last edited by a moderator:
As you liked the other ones here are some more.

An even better one of the Mayfair.
One of the Odeon.
One of The Snooker Hall
Another one of the Circle.
and one of Hurlingham Rd is looks nice and clean.

Phil
PMC1947
Is that the billiard hall just up from the mayfair flicks,all the "teds" used it all those years ago,if so,it is now a large Aldi store.

Back