• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kingstanding

Hello Rozipoz, Yes i knew all of them, The Willets lived just up the road and the Proctors on the road that runs down from the pub and library David or Teddy went out with a friend of mine. Bobby Lett was my first love, We met in a cafe on College road on a Saturday where my friends and i would go for a coffee and some fun with the boys continually played La Bamba on the juke box...Cat

Langy knows the Proctors.
I remember the caff (cafe) on College Road well,Bobby was the one with the glasses? not sure but seem to remember someone telling me he had passed on a few years ago.David and Teddy,well all the family had lovely curly hair.

OMG that bloody horse, that could be me watching my brothers!!
Ditto Carol
I remember wearing a pair of welligogs (wellington boots for the un-initiated) like that and having sore red rings around my calf where the top of the wellies rubbed my legs.Ouch!

PMC1947
Is that the billiard hall just up from the mayfair flicks,all the "teds" used it all those years ago,if so,it is now a large Aldi store.

I have no idea, the times I have been in Kingstanding, you could count on one hand.

Phil.

Hi Gladi, sorry I'm late with the reply just got back off holiday.
I am afraid I do not know the house number in Lennox Street where Dad lived
but I used to go there frequently, from a map previously posted I can identify
the house from a possible 3 houses and they are all approximately opposite
Jubilee avenue, hope that helps Goffy

PMC1947
Is that the billiard hall just up from the mayfair flicks,all the "teds" used it all those years ago,if so,it is now a large Aldi store.

The billiard hall was on the Kingstanding Road just above the Circle, next to the police station. Catkin was probably having his photo taken outside after being released from the cells. E.

Does anyone have any photos of the drill hall kingstanding rd from the late 50 early 60's my husband jeff was in the army cadets there and then the t.a we spent many a sat /sun night there having a drink and dancing sadly we have lost touch with so many of the chaps and girls who went there.

hi all. thought you may like to see this picture of the corornation celebrations in 53 taken in sidcup road..kindstanding.

nice one this.

wales.

Hi Wales, Wonderful picture, I remember that day very well, The weather was dreadful it poured with rain most of the day, but we still had a great day. I was not to far away from where that picture was taken , In the the next road. ( Binstead Road ).
Mike

Hi Mike where did you live in Kingstanding as a child?. Used to be posh when i was a kid from Aston. Jean. [and Pete].

Hi Jean Yes I Lived in Binstead road up till I got married in 1966 then moved to Great Barr ( By the Cat and Fiddle ), Then came to Aldridge in 1973.Yes Kingstanding was great for us as Kids, on the doorstep to Sutton Park , Barr Beacon Etc . Mike

I know Binsted road Mike an old friend lived there years ago. We Astonit kids had Aston park or the Serpentine ground [the tip] or hide and seek in the churchyard. Jean.

Hi Wales, Wonderful picture, I remember that day very well, The weather was dreadful it poured with rain most of the day, but we still had a great day. I was not to far away from where that picture was taken , In the the next road. ( Binstead Road ).
Mike

I had school friends from Binstead Road, Pat Latham and Alan Bruton are a couple of names that come to mind.

Pat went off to the grammar school, she was brainier than me.

I also delivered papers up there from Ryans shop, post office, on the Kingstanding Road. E.

lovely photo "Wales" bet I knew a few of those faces
Lived in Kingstanding from 1930/1965,remember "Stones"the news agent and that lovely fish & Chip shop,bet you would not remember the fairs that used to be held by the Beggars Bush before the houses were built/ and of course the King charles pub has now given way to housing

Hi Eric , I Remember both the Latham and Bruton families, I still see Lesly Bruton from time to time. we where in the middle of Binstead Rd ,so we had families either side of us up and down the road.

Hi Dennis ,
I also remember Stone's newsagent in Kings Rd but you have got me on the fair at the Beggers Bush !!! The only fairs I recall was at Perry Barr park ,Sutton Park and Cooksy Lane.

Mike

That was to far for me Cat . My mom said I wasn't allowed there it was to dangerous , mind you I did manage to fall in the water at Finchley rd park , or was I pushed ?

Hi Mike but tell your older brother to get in touch please. Pete would love to hear from him. Jean. May get told orf again but who cares. Jean.

I remember the fair at the bush.
I remember the Lathams
Went to witton lakes a lot to the fair.

Forgot to say...I went to the King Charles 'The Charlie' every Friday night for the disco. Used to have chips or a curry on the way home.

Hi mike,
There were also a fair in Homerton Rd parl by the swings etc, also one up by the K'standing barracks
I guess they were all before your time in the 40s

Hi Carol, Please put me out of my misery and tell were the fair was up the beggers bush,That one has got me . P.S. any relation to Jack Watts from Perry common. Mike

Carol do you remember the night Billy Fury was at the Charli. Going back a few years. He died not long after. JEAN.

Hi Jean, I saw Russ Abbott at the Hunters moon before he became the black Abbott's, That was a great pub for live entertainment. Mike

Hi MSGK
the fair at the beggars Bush was actually in Kings road, if you are in Kings rd and look towards the pub,then the fair was on the right hand side,of course they have built houses where the fair was,hope this is some use to you

Thanks Dennis, I know were you are now but still had no idea about the fair up there. Mike

Cat we were lucky we had the good fortune to live overlooking the allotments and I was able to get up every morning and see the Witton Lakes, I put some photo's of the view on the Forum, don't know if they are still there. If not I'll put them up again.
You are right about the mess they made building on the Allotments, glad I moved on when I got out of the Army.:)

One of our Fellow Forum members gave us a link earlier to You Tube theres a walk around Witton Lakes.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=witton+lakes&search_type=

Peter I was at Hawthorn Juniors in 1947:)
What a pity the walk didn't go as far as the brook that led to Brookvale park,it was all exactly as I remember,except that the big old boat house was gone and the quarry on the opposite side of the lake to the flats,appears to have been developed.
I was at Warren Farm school in the late 50's and often walked the lane to the lakes which had allottments to the left.Prior to them building those horrible flats the allottments were abandoned and the field became filled with beautiful lupins.Oh,happy days.

The fair used to be in the orphanage, Princess Alice drive, yes I am related to Jack Wattts, pa-in-law. I don't remember the fair in Homerton rd.

Back