• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kingstanding

I'm afraid Gary Thomas rings no bells......I always remember the Cabin being run by a married couple - a very little dark haired lady! I was amazed to discover the current post office owners have been there nearly thirty years!

Scamperoo, 160 was between the shops in the photo and the shops at the top of the road, a few doors down from the Post Office. I went to Hawthorn Road School in the 70's......
It is very sad as the shops now aren't like they were - lots of charity shops and £1 shops!!! Most seem empty most of the time.

Lynne I went to Hawthorn Rd School in 1948 when we left Newtown Row to live in The Ridgeway opposite Witton Cemetery, My mom did all her shopping at Hawthorn and always got the meat at Thompsons, first at Aston Cross then Hawthorn

dulwich road

my two brothers used to live in dulwich road i used to stay there sometimes at the corner used to go to the chip shop

I learned to swim many decades ago at the old Kingstanding bath. Not sure which road they were in though. They have a Leisure Centre for Kingstanding at Dulwich Road.

I learned to swim many decades ago at the old Kingstanding bath. Not sure which road they were in though. They have a Leisure Centre for Kingstanding at Dulwich Road.

The front was in Warren Farm Road and the back in Danesbury Crescent, there was a coal yard behind it where we queued for hours for a quarter cwt of coal when it was in short supply. E.

The Baths are no longer there.....they were pulled down around 20 years ago......

Do any of the members originating from the Kingstanding area have any knowledge of Birdbrook road in the Fifties.
My husbands grandfather lived there.

Eric,my husbands grandfather lived at 114,he died in March 1956.
his widow Agnes lived there for sometimes after I believe.

Joseph Taylor was 77 when he died,he was a tiny man known as Little Joe.He had a false leg after suffering a road accident but he still rode a bike

My sister in law remembers that the front gate of the house had the number made of metal bottle tops hammered into the wood.

Not someone I knew Alberta, I might have known some of the family by sight though, from 1960 to 65 I worked at Brooklyn Garage at the bottom of the road. E.

I lived in Twickenham road in the 60s and went to Twickenham rd school and then Warren Farm, we went to Kingstand baths, the shop just up the way used to sell sweets for 5p in a Triangle bag or you could buy 5 Fags for about 25p if i remember right, have not been that way now for about 25 years, has it changed much,

Alberta my Sister lived in Birdbrook Road early 60? 2nd house on the right coming from Dyas Road?

:)

What's in a name

Can any of you tell me what the road or cul de sac was called behind the Mayfair cinema Please..................Cat

Mayfair Pass by the side of the Cinema into Wimpole Grove into Plumstead Road, how's that Cat?:coolcheesy:

The Passage was on the right hand side of the cinema. The road on the left was called Sunnybank Avenue - probably still is.
Peter

Alberta

Alberta, Did your Husband's Grandfather live at 114 Twickenham rd, i lived at 115

Thank you chap's much appreciated.................Cat.....:wave:

Kingstanding.

:grin2: Listened to Les Ros today and he was asking if anyone remembered him from when he lived in Kingstanding. He is on radio WM in the afternoon and would love to talk about the times from 1948 onwards. I have told him to join this forum because he attended King Edwards Grammar school and has ties with Aston. Bye. Jean. :grin2:

Flagstones

Does any-one remember the flagstones across the road opposite the swimming baths they had markings on them as though they were Roman:D...Cat....:)

Forgot

The fields from Gypsey lane to College road belonged to the Wyrley and Birch families, as did a lot of the surrounding land My father had an allotment there until about 1964, then they started to develop the land to the monstrous state that it was in the last time i saw it........Cat:)

Hi Catkin`: Took that footpath from Gypsy Lane through to College Road many times before it was developed with houses. It was just allotments for many years and in the Spring there lots of wild lupins growing there. I haven`t been through there for a long long time either.

Oh those memories, how often did I go down the gulley to Witton Lakes from College Road? Used to go down sometimes during the 2-hour lunch break we had at Hawthorn Road Road Junior Boys almost opposite. Incidentally, I think Wyrley Birch was the name of one man who was an influential landowner. I've seen where his house was in the directories, but can't remember where it was now.
Peter

what a mess

Di:) its a mess now, I say now i have'nt seen it for years hundreds and hundreds of wild lupins all different colours, we, my brothers and sisters spent hours in there playing very happy days for me.

Wyrley and Birch are two different names joined in Marriage hence Wyrley Birch estate and Birchfields, It was Birch that owned most of the land .....I do believe that i am related through the Birch side but have yet to prove it..........Cat:)

Wyrley Birch

Hello Peter, :)
I have just found this site its very interesting and has many names that you find in and around Birmingham today, i hope you like it it's a good read, most informative.

GOOGLE

The early history of Handsworth
by
Handsworth historical society

...Cat

Cat we were lucky we had the good fortune to live overlooking the allotments and I was able to get up every morning and see the Witton Lakes, I put some photo's of the view on the Forum, don't know if they are still there. If not I'll put them up again.
You are right about the mess they made building on the Allotments, glad I moved on when I got out of the Army.:)

One of our Fellow Forum members gave us a link earlier to You Tube theres a walk around Witton Lakes.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=witton+lakes&search_type=

Peter I was at Hawthorn Juniors in 1947:)

Lucky

Yes Alf we were lucky,:) i have seen the lakes on (u tube) that chap has done a super job it's worth putting on a cd, it took me back into the park for a walk lovely..........Cat:)

I lived in Kingstanding with my parents up until I got married in 1964.
Dad came from Lennox street & Mother came from Wheeler street.
It did not seem to bad a place in those days, but , whenever we pass that way now, it certainly looks the worse for wear.

We moved to Kingstanding in 1938 from Vauxhall.We moved into a new house up Cooksey Lane on the corner of Esher Rd. I was 11yrs old, went to Kingsland Rd school and Peckham Rd school. When we moved in there the houses across the Street were still in various stages of construction. At that time it was a wonderful place to live even though the war had just started. I was able to walk to Sutton Park and Barr Beacon and I remember the family Sunday afternoon walks to the various pubs in the area, Deers Leap, Parson & clerk, and a few others. I grew up and went to work at W.Cannings in Birmingham, my youngest brother went to wok at Thompson's Butchers on Hawthorn Rd. I was drafted into the RAF in 1945 was released in 1948, married my childhood sweetheart who also lived up Cooksey Lane, and in 1953 we came to USA where we still reside in Sunny California.
Have a nice day,,, Wally.:wave::cool::wave:

Back