• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

King Edward VI School, Five Ways 1883 - 1958

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
New Street

Edgbaston

Camp Hill

Handsworth
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...dwards-girls-grammar-school-handsworth.16714/

Aston

Didn't know there was once a KE school at Five Ways. Photo c1895. Viv.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
It was where Five Ways Island is now.

Plaque in the middle.

The school is currently located in Bartley Green.

My own father was educated there, roughly between 1912 and 1915, before being promoted, for reasons unknown, to KES which was then located in an even more magnificent building in New Street (prior to its move to Edgbaston in 1936). Amongst my friends are at least two who were educated in the old Five Ways building.

When you look at Viv's image, the subsequent "improvements" to the Five Ways area, including the demolition of the School, are enough to make you weep. I wasn't interested enough to note what was going on at the time, but when it was finished and new, did it all look as ghastly as it did in later years?

Chris

The school at Five Ways. This image gives a good idea of the ornate style of the building. Viv.

image.jpeg

The boys must have been collecting for the Mafeking Relief Fund. From the Arts Council Study #25 :

image.jpeg

For info, from British History Online ;

"KING EDWARD'S FIVE WAYS GRAMMAR SCHOOL FOR BOYS, Hagley Road (1883–1958); Scotland Lane, Bartley Green (1958). Opened in buildings of former Edgbaston Proprietary Sch. which had been enlarged to accom. 300. Nearly half original pupils came from Middle Sch. in New St. Also took all pupils from Bath Row Sch. (see p. 554 and below; Hutton, King Edw.'s Sch. 189, 193). Moved to new premises in Scotland Lane 1958. 350 B c. 1908 (V.C.H. Warws. ii. 355), 550 1952 (Hutton, K.E.'s Sch. 191). N.o.b. 1961: 668."

Last edited:
My own father was educated there, roughly between 1912 and 1915, before being promoted, for reasons unknown, to KES which was then located in an even more magnificent building in New Street (prior to its move to Edgbaston in 1936). Amongst my friends are at least two who were educated in the old Five Ways building.

When you look at Viv's image, the subsequent "improvements" to the Five Ways area, including the demolition of the School, are enough to make you weep. I wasn't interested enough to note what was going on at the time, but when it was finished and new, did it all look as ghastly as it did in later years?

Chris
KES promote "bright" pupils from the Grammar Schools to the high school at Edgbaston. A couple of my class mates were similarly treated.

Back