• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

King Edward High School for Girls Edgbaston Park Road

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Hadn't realised this but the building was once King Edward's High School for Girls - Edmund Street. Postcard dated 1904. Viv.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
I understand that this was KE Girls for some eight years while the Hen & Chickens site New St was being developed (1888-1896). It had been the Liberal Club for a couple of years previously and then afterwards became an Insurance office.
I went to Mason college briefly in 1961 by which time it was being used for University extra mural courses and overflow from Matthew Boulton tech

Girls on a bumpy ride home from a Swiss skiing holiday.

Viv

Screenshot_20230807_124134_Chrome.jpg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Last edited:
Some background history from the King Edward High School site:

"Founded in 1883 on the New Street site, King Edward VI High School for Girls encouraged students to go from elementary school through grammar school and high school to university. The first Headmistress of KEHS was Miss Creak, who was chosen from over 30 applicants for her impressive academic record and bold ideas.

In 1911, the second Headmistress, Miss Major’s aim was to conserve tradition whilst modernising the curriculum and updating teaching methods. One of her first acts was to employ a PE Mistress, Miss Nichols, who came to the school on the condition that a playing field be created. By 1911, hockey and netball teams were well established and in 1912 KEHS competed in its first House Swimming Gala.

On 17th December 1919, the Musical Society gave their first joint KEHS/KES concert, creating a tradition, which continues, to provide a platform for outstanding musicians from both schools.

In 1931, it was decided that the two schools needed a new site and only the Calthorpe Estate could offer sufficient space within reach of the city centre. The Governors selected the Bristol Road site and the papers were signed in December 1933. An architect was selected from amongst a pool of Old Edwardians. The Foundation Stone was laid in the Autumn of 1938, but when war was declared, the girls were evacuated to Pates Grammar School in Cheltenham, returning to Birmingham during the Autumn of 1940"!

Photo Source: Birmingham Mail

Screenshot_20240108_095219_Google.jpg

Last edited:
Back