• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

King Edward VI School Edgbaston 1936

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Links to other King Edwards Schools in the Birmingham area are below

New Street

Five Ways

Camp Hill

Handsworth
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...dwards-girls-grammar-school-handsworth.16714/

Aston

Edgbaston

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monty inspecting KEGS cadets.

Screenshot_20231231_112352_Chrome.jpg

Source : British Newspaper Archive

Last edited:
This is confusing Janice. I thought KE was at Five Ways until 1958, then from 1958 moved to Bartley Green, Scotland Lane (and still there today).

Yes but there is also a King Edwards at Edgbaston (the ne which moved from New Street) which I assume is the one Devonjim referred to in post #10. The Edgbaston one shares the site with the girls school.
See here

Thanks Janice. I've now set up this KE Edgbaston thread and shall give links to all those in the (Birmingham) KE foundation on other appropruate threads.

Some interesting history about the school move from New Street to Edgbaston in 1936

"1936 the old building on New Street had become a fire risk, and soot from the nearby train station was also an issue. The school also did not have any nearby space for sports, and had to travel to the playing fields near the present-day school. As a result, plans were made by the Governors and the then Headmaster, Edwin Thirlwall England, to move to a new site at Edgbaston Park Road/Bristol Road, in Edgbaston, along with the girls' school. At the time this new site was in the countryside, along with the nearby university.

Ironically, the temporary buildings erected on South Field of the new site in 1936 burnt down. The school was forced to move for a time to the University of Birmingham's Great Hall and surrounding buildings until new temporary buildings could be erected. The move was complicated by the outbreak of the Second World War, and the subsequent evacuation of the pupils to Repton School for a short period.

October 1939 saw the requisition by the War Office of the temporary buildings and surrounding playing fields, and they were used by the British and US armies for the remainder of the war. This use included, from February 1945, the basing of the 6888th Central Postal Directory Battalion: the only all-female, multi-ethnic US Army unit to be deployed overseas during the war. The 855 women, predominately African-American, were sent to Birmingham to sort and redirect a huge backlog of mail for US service personnel in Europe. The women of '6888' (Six Triple Eight) lived and worked at King Edward's for 3 months to sort and despatch over 17 million items of mail, processing approximately 65,000 pieces of mail per shift at a rate of 3 shifts per day. In May 2019, US Ambassador Woody Johnson presented a blue plaque to the school to commemorate the 6888th's achievement; the plaque now features on the route of guided tours organised by the Black Heritage Walks Network. The temporary buildings were later converted into classrooms before being demolished in 1958".

After being in temporary accommodation, students start to attend the new school building.

Screenshot_20240107_175118_Chrome.jpg

Former masters. I've come across references to 'Big School' a few times. Can someone explain what this was at KEGS please? Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240109_184634_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240109_184634_Chrome.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 3
Back