• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

King Edwards Girls Grammar School Rose Hill Road Handsworth 1911

jennyann

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
Edgbaston

Five Ways

Camp Hill

Aston

 Handsworth
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...mar-king-edward-boys-grammar-grove-lane.3642/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.kingedwardvi.bham.org.uk/school/history.html

This site is fascinating. An in depth look at the school and some of it's teachers over the years. Those who attended might recognize some
of the names. History of school in Aston and Handsworth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Jennyann, that is a good site, as are quite a few other school sites some of the Old Girls and Boys' Associations do a good one too.
I obviously never went to school there, but being at KEGS Aston, we collaborated once a year in a sixth-form play which was always staged at Rose Hill Road, because the Aston 'Big School' as they called the assembly hall, was so dingy.
We had our annual prize-giving days there for the same reason. I can't imagine what Aston offered Handsworth by way of compensation - it would be a bit much to always be on the taking side.
I was particularly interested in the bit about how the girls got to school. But I'm not quite convinced about the girls from Sutton going by train to Aston and then changing to get to Handsworth Wood, a mile from the school. If they did that at all, they would surely have got off at Soho Road station, barely 300 yards from the school. The school didn't open until 1911, and within three years there were frequent Midland Red motor buses from Sutton and Streetly to Birmingham via Perry Barr or Aston, and the No 5 tram ran from the school to Six Ways, Aston Station and Gravelly Hill.
I know most girls near us who went there walked to Kingstanding Road and got a 29 bus, then walking up the top of Villa Road.
One girl I knew lived at Harborne and took the Outer Circle to Soho Road and then a main road bus down. Another lived in Welford Road, so she only had Hall Road to cross on her short walk to school. She was very bright at school and would probably have done science at university, but her dad insisted she leave school at 16 and start work in the post office lkaboratoruies (where she also did well). It was all very well his son having gone to university, but women weren't meant that sort of thing in those days!
Peter

Peter I have a book, title Six King Edwards Schools 1883 - 1983 if at any time you would like information from it or borrow let me know some of the pages are loose but other than its in good condition.
index of all the pupils between these dates, and quite a few pictures
John H

I know this is an old thread but I was interested by the point made by the late Peter Walker about the girls who atteneded the school who travelled from Sutton. I am not sure how my late cousin got there but I know she walked every day past my grandfathers butchers shop in Rookery Road Handsworth. She told me how he would stand in the doorway and she would say good morning Mr Caldecott. I am so pleased she told me these things when we had our chats in later years. She was so clever, well she must have been to be head girl at King Edwards.

Thank you Maurice I bet Geraldine would have known him. She was a member of the Old Edwardians until ill health stopped her going.

Wendy,

I'll stick a picture up when I can, but they're with my son in the UK, who has just moved house, is still waiting for an internet connection, and has a wife about to give birth!

Maurice

Old Picture Postcards of the School.

Class Room with Art Display
KEGS Handsworth - Class Room with Art Display.jpg

Class Room
KEGS Handsworth - Front View.jpg

Entrance View
KEGS Handsworth - Class Room.jpg

Entrance View (2)
KEGS Handsworth - Entrance View.jpg

Front View
KEGS Handsworth - Entrance View2.jpg

Lovely set of postcards Two. What's striking about the interior is how spartan it all looks compared with schools today. Every bit of wall space is made use of in modern schools. Even the art room display has only a few 'select' pieces on the wall. Nice to see the images. Thanks. Viv.

Wonderful pictures Two - thank you so much. I was there 1947-1952 and these pictures have bought back so many memories.I'm a member of the Old Girls Association and went back to school to join in the Centenary Celebrations a few years ago but sadly didn't meet up with anyone else from my year.

Two - many thanks for more memories - I can still imagine Miss Bamforth the Headmistress sitting on that very ornate chair in the Hall every morning for assembly - the Gym and Domestic Science Room bring back memories too.
thank you so much.

Two - many thanks for more memories - I can still imagine Miss Bamforth the Headmistress sitting on that very ornate chair in the Hall every morning for assembly - the Gym and Domestic Science Room bring back memories too.
thank you so much.
Pat - when were you there? I was there between 1963 and 1970 and these pictures have brought back so many memories!

• Appreciate
Reactions: Two
hi skiddaw does the name colleen steadman ring any bells for you...she was a friend of and i think she may have attended this grammar school...she would have been there at the same time as you....

lyn

Great school.....remember taking my daughter Nicola there almost every day.....had to write and beg Miss Sargeant, the Head, to get her in, as she was on the reserve list after 11 plus...and she obliged....and she did very well, even got a 1st class Honours degree in History at Leeds University........here's her take on skool sports...Ronald Searle-like parody....

P1020843.jpeg

Nic first year Handsworth.jpg

Back