• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Handsworth Grammar King Edward Boys' Grammar Grove Lane

2dogs

Here are other links to King Edward's Schools in the Birmingham area:

Edgbaston

Five Ways

Camp Hill

Aston

Handsworth

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have seen a couple of references to Handsworth technical School in these pages but no mention of Handsworth Grammar. I spent a year (1963?) wearing the bumble bee uniforms, black blazers with gold trim of what I thought was Handsworth Grammar. Can someone confirm this please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Handsworth Grammar School Badge and they have a great stained glass window in the school hall in memory of the old boys kiled in the Great War

I think I still have my old school cap somewhere in storage in Oz :)

I was there in the early 50s. I still have my cap badge bought from that shop at the corner of Ninevah Road and Soho Road. Anyone remember the name of the shop?

Thanks John. I remeber now it was Southan Bros. I remember my mom taking me there to get my cap, badges and name tags when I was eleven. We got my blazer and short grey flannels from Foster Bros in Newtown Row

Wasn't there a Handsworth Grammar School for for girls too

Handsworth Grammar School for Boys, on Grove Lane, was opened on 05.08.1862 as the Bridge Trust School, with one big room and two smaller ones, and a total of 59 boys. It was renamed Handsworth Grammar School in 1890, by which time it was much bigger,
King Edwards Grammar School for Girls, in Rose Hill Road was opened in 1911.
Peter

Here is a report showing when my father attended Handsworth Grammar.

Nice piece of history there, Kate. O0
I wasn't clever enough to go to either Handsworth Grammar or Handsworth Tech. :uglystupid2: I went to Handsworth New Road Secondary Modern, and the best I could do there was receive a leaving certificate stating my academic achievements as "... he played for the first rugby XV". ::) For some reason it wasn't much good to me in getting a job so I think I've lost it. :-\

Shame Oisin same has myself :( and I've lived on Bread & Dripping since, but nice one Kate O0

I went to Handsworth Tech. and had school dinners. It was down hill from there though. On leaving there I had to eat at the Magnet Club. I think school dinners were better by a small margin.

my Nan and Granddad owned the fish shop at 113 Newcombe road and my mom and some of her brothers and sisters went to Rookery road school small world aint it

Rupert, I will post a pic of the Electrical Engineering Lab at Aston Tec. tomorrow

cromwell, would that be the Elec Lab in Berners st Lozells?
That were I did my Day release as a GEC Apprentice.back in the 50s.
ASTON

Yes, we had to do torque test on them and speed control calcs.
The best part of Berners ST was the Lab was on the first floor with a large gas fire for heating in the winter we used to buy ring donuts from the tuck shop and toast them on this fire they were scrumptious.
ASTON

John - you may remember from my previous postings my dad lived at 134 Newcombe Road and attended Rookery Road school - indeed a small world. We visited both Handsworth Grammar (who tolerated our colonial presence) and Rookery Road who were very welcoming when we were in UK in 2000. :)

John we used to go to that fish and chip shop in the 1950's and 60's.  O0

Kate and John did any of your family belong to the Uplands Bowling Club, as I have a photo from around the 1950's of all the members at that time. I thought you might recognise them if they are on it.  :)

I will post it if you had someone involved then.

Sakura I never knew much about the Jones social life they were money people and we were not not that it bothered us at the time but I would like to see the photograph and if possible put it on our Handsworth site if you would not mind, I all ways like looking at old photographs John

https://www.handsworthhistory.co.uk/

Great window!
Sakura - my dad left UK in 1925 and I don't know if I have any living relatives over there unfortunately. It would be wonderful to find some, but I don't think I've got much hope as every search has ended in a dead end. But I feel a part of the community of Brum that's for sure, with the kind acceptance of members of this forum. :)

:) Michael. My brother went there about the same time as you. Albert Lyndon. He was captain of the football team and still has a photo of the team. Bye for now. Jean.:)

Photo rescued from the bin, shows boys who are in the OTC Corp at Handsworth Grammar School, probably pre WW2, at an unknown camp, no names of the boys. Len.

Had to remind the headmaster last year that one of Birmingham's greatest industrialists attended Handsworth Grammar, --Sir Edmund Crane

Photo rescued from the bin, shows boys who are in the OTC Corp at Handsworth Grammar School, probably pre WW2, at an unknown camp, no names of the boys. Len.

Dear Len

Bless you for the photo - only just seen. I have been on the look out for this evidence for some time.

HGS OTC was formed in 1907 at a time when Handsworth was still in Staffordshire. The OTC and its successors (JTC and CCF) continued to wear Staffordshire cap badges after Handsworth's absorption into Birmingham in 1911. The cap badge in the photo was normally that of the Staffordshire Yeomanry but, at a date I have yet to discover, was succeeded by that of the South Staffords. That was what we wore when I was in the CCF 1952-6 and what I wore during National Service with 1 S Staffords and subsequently with 5 S Staffords (TA). The school's CCF came to an end sometime, I believe, in the 1960s, by which time it had, belatedly, taken to the Warwicks hatbadge.

Do you, please, know of any other, similar images?

Regards,

Bob 3880

Note images from this post have been lost.

A couple more. ~The first is Handsworth Grammar school and my brother is first left bottom row. The second is another of Yew Tree road school and my brother is in the middle first row with the ball. Jean.

Last edited:
I am not sure Carolina. My brother is seventy three now and I am not sure of his age but I do know one of the lads went on to represent GB in the olympic games at athletics.

Back