• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

High Street Aston

if you look at the map it shows that the address of new england came under bordesley

lyn

Should that baptism year be 1878?

Would they have had trouble finding a church to do the baptism as they were not native to Bham maybe?
Yes, you are right about the Baptism date. It was 1878.
Also the parents were not native to Birmingham as you probably noticed from the 1881 census.
I had known for a long time where my great grandfather was baptized, but I had miss read his birth certificate to read it as High St, Aston, which would have been a fair distance from Holy Trinity Church
Dave

New England cropped up before

getting closer lynn...if you look at the map i posted you will see where it says HALL here is a photo of the hall so your moms house is just out of shot to the left of the hallView attachment 141599....would anyone know if it was hawkins jellied eel shop at no 88..i have a vague memory of it being on a corner somewhere around there...

lyn

Attachments

• 0A6D1906-ECFD-4A91-9441-C7C679B797CD.jpeg
    0A6D1906-ECFD-4A91-9441-C7C679B797CD.jpeg
    412.2 KB · Views: 39
I was quite surprised to see a picture of a jellied eel shop in Birmingham. Were there many such shops in the city? I have always imagined it was a peculiarly London delicacy with their Pie and Eel shops and have never come across one when I lived in B'ham.

I would agree. Looking at the Newspaper archive. Other than mentions of certain football players' peculiar liking for them and references to London, the main comments locally seem to refer to Bromford racecourse, where the stalls are mentioned several times

Birm Gazette. 4.6.1949.jpg

I was quite surprised to see a picture of a jellied eel shop in Birmingham. Were there many such shops in the city? I have always imagined it was a peculiarly London delicacy with their Pie and Eel shops and have never come across one when I lived in B'ham.
There was one just up from the Aston Hippodrome going towards 5 ways. The sold jellied eels, pea soup and wells.

It is true that jellied eels were more about London & the South of England. I was a regular diner at Hawkins in the High St. I didn't have eels as they didn't appeal to me but I did love whelks and peas, which were the marrowfat kind. They went great together...I also went to the Hawkins on Corporation St, next door to the Bingo (arcade).
Dave A

The Kings Hall Market sold jelled eels and the current market still does.
Yes I can recall seeing them in the Market Hall alongside plates of shellfish but as I said earlier never came across a shop or cafe offering them for sale.

One of the two owners of the shop I worked in on a Saturday in Handsworth used to buy a small tub of jellied eels sometimes, I guess he must have got them locally - maybe some fresh fish shops sold them?

In the early 60s I used to go to Hawkins shop in High St every saturday lunchtime for whelks & a bowl of peas (bread basket inc). Never had jellied eels though.

I had friends who would always eat the eels. I could never bring myself to do it, welks and peas yes. Then one day after about 5 pints of beer I built up the courage to taste and was hooked( no pun intended). :)

Eels were certainly a staple food. Readily available and a good source of protein. Most freshwater fish were not all that nice to eat, quite an earthy flavour.

I had friends who would always eat the eels. I could never bring myself to do it, welks and peas yes. Then one day after about 5 pints of beer I built up the courage to taste and was hooked( no pun intended). :)
i caught hundred of eels but never eat one:(. my jack russel loved them.

Eels were certainly a staple food. Readily available and a good source of protein. Most freshwater fish were not all that nice to eat, quite an earthy flavour.
Mort, I think you are correct! Fresh water is generally warmer than saltwater, the lower water temperature allows the fish to taste better. Having said that too much salt (high salination levels) can negatively affect the taste. We recently sold a home on the ocean and had a marine biology lab nearby that gave classes. It’s quite amazing how water temperature and salination levels (or lack thereof) can effect the taste of certain species.

Love seeing all these old photo's. Thank you for sharing them with us. I was actually drawn to the photo of the Barton's Arms. Iused to live in the street to the right of the Bartons Arms. (Next door to the chippy). This was in the 1960's. Really loved that old house. Neighbors were always warm & friendly. I used to go to the sweet shop just up from the pub on my way to school at Burlington street.

Hello. I've only just found this thread. In the early 1960s I did a Saturday job at the shop which sold baby clothes, wool and haberdashery. It was run by Miss Rose Martin and the shop may have been called Martins. I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure it was in Aston High Street. I'm sure it has long since disappeared, but I would love to see a photo of it. Best wishes

Hello. I've only just found this thread. In the early 1960s I did a Saturday job at the shop which sold baby clothes, wool and haberdashery. It was run by Miss Rose Martin and the shop may have been called Martins. I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure it was in Aston High Street. I'm sure it has long since disappeared, but I would love to see a photo of it. Best wishes
All of these pictures are tantalisingly close to the shop but I don't think it's actually on any of them, perhaps you will be able to tell.

Attachments

• high-st-aston-top-end.jpg
    high-st-aston-top-end.jpg
    534.1 KB · Views: 33
  • no1-high-st-aston.jpg
    no1-high-st-aston.jpg
    791.3 KB · Views: 34
  • six-ways-aston.jpg
    six-ways-aston.jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 33
Hello. I can't see it although the first picture is very close. Thank you so much for posting them. What lovely memories they bring back.
In the second picture Fawcett's were at No. 10 (Kelly's 1955), so no 12 is next to it but difficult to see the shop front with the belisha beacon in front of it.

Back