• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

High Street Aston

Dave A is correct, Baines was on one corner of Philips St and High St, and Timothy Whites and Taylor's was on the other. I suspect that is the chemists shop shown in the photo. On it's way down to Aston Rd, Aston brook ran open between the ends of the gardens of houses in Philips St and the back of H. Millers polishing shop.

Just found out on my Great Grandads death certificate that he died in 130 High Street I always come on this forum straight away to read through all the posts about the roads I research to get a feel for them.
Love this forum.

This shows No. 159 in 1950, I don't think the numbering changed from 1920s/30s to 1950.
Thank you so much . I'm pretty sure this isn't where it was because I know it was opposite the Hippodrome? Bartons Arms and next door to the Park Tavern, which I believe was opposite Burlington Street.

Thank you so much . I'm pretty sure this isn't where it was because I know it was opposite the Hippodrome? Bartons Arms and next door to the Park Tavern, which I believe was opposite Burlington Street.
cant say as ive heard of the park tavern...if we can find a photo of that it may show the house

lyn

Hi, yes you are right and Janice has posted the correct location. This is the shop in the 1940s when it was a butchers.

Attachments

• newtownrow68.jpg
    newtownrow68.jpg
    439.3 KB · Views: 39
I have watched this thread with interest as I thought that my Great Grandfather had been was born in High Street Aston in 1878, But on re-checking his birth certificate it states that he was born in New England High Street in the district of Aston, Sub district of Deritend. I have searched for such a place with no luck. His name is Henry Albert Ware, born on 19th February 1878. Does anybody have any clues please?

Is there a baptism for him, does that give an address?

I see his sister (next eldest) is registered Bham, so that would seem to be no help and they are in Duddeston Row in 1881 which is also no help.

Just seen a reference to 5, New England Bordesley in an 1878 newspaper article, so it seems it is a place.

Brilliant work MWS & RobT. Great finds. I was just checking and wondered why he was Baptised in Holy Trinity Church, Bordesley on 13 March 1878.

Last edited:
Ambrose Durrant Wimbush left nearly £150,000 in 1935. His sons are named on the probate and listed as company directors. So, more than likely.

great maps...so it is high st deritend not high st aston..not heard of new england so i have learned something today..

looking at street view i think that new england or as rob said court no 31 would have been about here..all gone now..that is the rainbow pub on the opposite corner

lyn

Last edited:
great maps...so it is high st deritend not high st aston..not heard of new england so i have learned something today..

looking at street view i think that new england or as rob said court no 31 would have been about here..all gone now..that is the rainbow pub on the opposite corner

lyn

I assume that the area of New England is the Tesla Building now.
I used Google streetview to see how far they had to travel to Holy Trinity Church for the baptism (its a journey I have made by bus hundreds of times when I was younger) and its seems strange that there is no flyover there now!! Even missed the 'Dolls Club' .........................that enough for now!

Brilliant work MWS & RobT. Great finds. I was just checking and wondered why he was Baptised in Holy Trinity Church, Bordesley on 13 March 1895.

Should that baptism year be 1878?

Would they have had trouble finding a church to do the baptism as they were not native to Bham maybe?

Back