• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

High Street Aston

Hi.Please. has anyone got any pics of the shops on high st opposite side of the rd to aston brook st and Phillips st. the shop was a market hall,(a bit of a shed like building)with small stalls and a litle cafe. many thanks in advance.

Hi. I remember the market hall as I used to go in there with my mother in the 50's and early 60's, but I thought it was slightly farther up High St more opposite the House that Jack Built. I seem to remember a Home and Colonial grocers opposite Philips St.

Hi. I remember the market hall as I used to go in there with my mother in the 50's and early 60's, but I thought it was slightly farther up High St more opposite the House that Jack Built. I seem to remember a Home and Colonial grocers opposite Philips St.
it was at the top of aston brook st i am sure op the slPL1.jpgaughter house

Last edited:
The butchers shop was the first on the right in the market. My brother worked part time for an Indian guy in the market, they called him "Momma".
Dave A

great maps...so it is high st deritend not high st aston..not heard of new england so i have learned something today..

looking at street view i think that new england or as rob said court no 31 would have been about here..all gone now..that is the rainbow pub on the opposite corner

lyn

I didn't realise Fawcett's were No. 10. Thank you.

Attachments

• 3B6D42BC-443E-4F17-8018-013F626BB4ED.jpeg
    3B6D42BC-443E-4F17-8018-013F626BB4ED.jpeg
    220.5 KB · Views: 17
Hello. I've only just found this thread. In the early 1960s I did a Saturday job at the shop which sold baby clothes, wool and haberdashery. It was run by Miss Rose Martin and the shop may have been called Martins. I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure it was in Aston High Street. I'm sure it has long since disappeared, but I would love to see a photo of it. Best wishes
I remember going into Martins! It was a lovely old fashioned shop with those window-fronted drawers. I can remember Mum buying me a gorgeous fluffy, pale blue dressing gown there.

Back