• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brummie sayings & language

Status
Not open for further replies.
When it's cold and damp and the nights are drawing in, get the PIKELETS out and have a feast
Grandad would say let's ave some jam an' 'errings. Came off the motorway near Sandbach Baz, yesterday as a vehicle had overturned. We had been in Cumbria. It snowed on Friday on the tops and we had a gigantic hailstorm in the valley, so I wore 4 hairnets that day! Nico

Sandbach sometimes gets gridlocked when there's trouble on the motorway Nico. We had a nasty hail shower around that time, so it was YOU that caused it then !

Sandbach sometimes gets gridlocked when there's trouble on the motorway Nico. We had a nasty hail shower around that time, so it was YOU that caused it then !
We came off before Sandbach, the overturned vehicle was at Stoke. Had a tour of Newcastle ring road, nice countryside you have. Maybe we bore the brunt of the hail being higher up, felt sorry for the new born lambs but was glad of the hairnets.

The M6 is never fun. It only starts to get better traffic wise after the Blackpool turn. I remember what it was like trying to get up to the Lakes in the early 60s. It would take six hours from where we lived just south of Birmingham. Only Stafford, Preston and Lancaster were by passed by 1963. These days, if you have the time, it is often more enjoyable to come off the motorway and use the ordinary A roads.
Anyway I came onto this thread for Brummie words or phrases, here's a few:-
Thrape - To punish with violence.
"Do you want something to cry about?" - Said to a child crying about nothing
"Raking around" wandering aimlessly
To rile - To fidget with you whole body - Usually said of a child who won't sit still

We once decided to go back to the midlands via the dales and not use the motorway. Mistake! Took me hours. We get on the M6 going up at Newcastle normally having passed through or around Lichfield Stone and Rugeley. Nice countryside I like it when the building stone changes and I know we are up t'North. Then the hills and I burst in to Hills of the North Rejoyce and other ditties with hills and mountains in, and I wave to Baz.
I used to get, if I was mardy," I'll give you something to cry fo"
One of my great grans was to have said "type it ere" when her coal was delivered.
"I gid im a good ommerin, used for a good hiding.
St Vita's dance for a fidget or affected if you had a tick.
Ee cor knock a skin of a rice puddin' for a wimp,
I'm all right jack pull down the ladder for someone who thought only of themselves
and John Bull, ers John Bull, for a straight talking person.
I was never sure what pianner legs were though. Ers got pianner legs,
At a village dance, grandad was jiving with a flat bosomed lady and as he spun her round her threepenny bits (rhymed with what he said) ended up round the back. Had to laugh! Nico

I really don't like motorways and will always use A roads if I can. We used to go to Devon via the scenic route, went the same way a couple of years ago and dd swears they have put more bends in the roads than when he drove lol! Brings back memories of one of nans sayings if anyone was bending over ".... up the Warwicks" - I think I probably said this before, but no-one sems to know the origin of it!
Sue

Gt gran would lift her skirt hem up a bit and say whoops Diana Dors! Whoops Diana drawers!
Nan sang, Knees up mother Brown, knees up mother Brown, under the table I saw you, playing with the old man's 6ft 2, If I catch you bending I'll turn you upside down, Knees up knees up don't get the breeze up knees up Mother Brown! Oy! and
Underneath the spreading chest nut tree, (with actions) old Mother Riley said to me, would you like to see my ABC? (with actions) Neath the spreading chest nut tree. and
You've got a pimple on yer smeller sweet Marie, And I'm sure it hasn't come through drinkin' tea! and, the last one folks
In the shade of the old apple tree, (then my other gran's name's) fat legs I can see, she sat on a thistle and hurt her poor whistle, and got stung by a weak cup tea.
Nico

I really don't like motorways and will always use A roads if I can. We used to go to Devon via the scenic route, went the same way a couple of years ago and dd swears they have put more bends in the roads than when he drove lol! Brings back memories of one of nans sayings if anyone was bending over ".... up the Warwicks" - I think I probably said this before, but no-one sems to know the origin of it!
Sue
If it was cold out and grandad spotted a lady in the street, he would say, 'chapel hat pegs!'

Yes I did/do and was told just that.
Nan would have a tiny sip of brandy for me 'oller tooth she would say.
There is one she said which escapes me but it was for when someone was greedy or quick to take an opportunity, if there was 'something' gooin about chaype eed be fost in the queue or eed be the fost with iz ond out. Or if she was not going to give in to something, Ah an' I am gooin to goo mad an give rock away!
Or at the end of a song she would add very loudly, Yer daddy's Muther!
To make someone feel at home she would say you are in yer grannies. I have heard that in Ireland and also you ar on yer grannies yacht. If a dress was old fashioned she would say I would look like Grandmother Grey in that.

I was just saying that about someone yesterday nico. Regards rick
I said it today about someone. They are as tight as a ducks xxxx and I was thinking back to the time I got some medicine from a garage shop for this person's partner as the MrTight had no brass, and when I paid he got the cashier to swipe his Supermarket card on my purchases. Nan would say he wants jam on it! Nico

Is diddle Brummie or Midlands slang? If we said the word middle, mum would say middle for diddle. If Nan was washing she would use the word diddle for hand washing. 'Diddle em up and down.'

We have been watching Love and Marriage starring Alison Steadman, Celia Imrie and Duncan Preston, set on Cov. I would have thought one of them would have had an attempt at a Coventry accent like my dad used to speak and what my school mates spoke or a more modern one even.
There's not too many non Brummies that can do the accent, Beryl Reid does spring to mind but after that i have to think..
[video=youtube;jr7M2NuqwIk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr7M2NuqwIk[/video]

If my dad was making something and we asked "what are you making Dad" he would reply "A drop latch for a chickens lip". If mom wanted us to do something for her, she would ask what she wanted us to do and then add "I'll give you a little sixpence when my ship comes in". When she said this to my husband after saying it to him over the years he said "I think your ship has sunk under the weight of all the little sixpences you owe me". We all had a good laugh as you can imagine.

My mum used to imitate Beryl Reid doing her 'me friend Marlene and dyo loike me eeeerings' sketches.
There was a BS advert with a mismatched couple. The actor who has since appeared as a felon in 1001 Dalmations and A Mr Evans in Why didn;t they ask Evans. He canned a phrase Oy loike bein in the gardin and wey wonta be tagether.
The Villa fans were assailed with these phrases before the fighting started after a match I am told.
I also recall Brum Uni being on University Challenge, at the end of the show they all said Tarra a bit. I had a Brummie colleague who always said bye a bit.

I remember one saying not specifically Brum but often said if you lost something, the reply was "I saw the cat dragging something out".

Mum used to say if someone was unkempt, "they look like summat the cat's brought in." Or if someone used a long fancy 'high ferlootin' word she would say, "we had one of them - but the wheels fell off it". Grandad would pretend to pick his nose and wipe his hand down the front of his shirt saying "see them stripes down my shirt"

Nan sang, Lord help a sailor on a night like this. or Ump tiddly batch cerk, brarn bread, this came after a song, followed by ever seen a donkey stand on is jyed. Or Horsie cock yer tail up (3 times) then, to keep the sun from art your eyes. And... the old grey meyer o she aint what she used to be. and... oh is old baggy trowsiz they want mendin before they send im to the Dardanelles. Are they real songs does any one know? she was in the NFS during the war, mum thought she may have got many of her sayings then. Lots I could not put on here. Nan was on the switch board all night.
My Dublin mate's mum always sang Fresh Fish after a song. I know they sing it at the end of Biddy Mulligan. Nan sang yer daddy's mothurrr!
My parents had a Cockney friend from Coppermill, he used to say cor lummy love a duck.

Our kid punched mi in the fizzog 'cause I 'it 'im in the back of the nut with a cobble. Our mom clipped 'is earole and med 'im clean out the cellar fer gein 'er a mouthfull. When dad came 'ome 'e made 'im clean up the 'orsemuck from the stable. I laughed fit ter bust. Regards, David.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back