• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brummie sayings & language

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yow day bost iz biler then bab? Dinner fret thee sen, goo an wash yer fizzog and dow ferget yer lug oles. An dow yowse the bowl with the crack as it's bosted.
This is probably Brummie Black Country and old Cov. I was brought up with all three.

Nan said her dad used to say he was gooin to the church where they 'ondles on theer prayer books. (the pub)

Yes my mum was always parched. Spittin feathers (Nan) also if someone looked rough, male or female - they look like they have been on the nest all night.
Nan's advice to me was..yow dow want want o' them dolly birds paintin theer nails and theer ferces, yow wont a nice plain girl who can cook an luke after yer. An mark mar words... yow dow look on the mantlepayce when yowm a stokin the fire!
If a lady was plain though she would say, er ferce ud stop a clock.
I loved her advice on family planning but I can't put it on here although there are no rude words - the innuendos make me blush.
If she swore I would say Nan, thats swearing! And she would say it's enough to make a saint swear.

My parents never really swore, in fact I never heard my father swear once and this was confirmed also by others. But, if I did play up my mom used to say 'you little blinder'.

We had a family friend who used to say " OOh it were lovely Mrs 'Ardcastle" does anyone know where it comes from? He was born in London but lived in Cov, Dad also said it along with "don't force it Phoebe!"

Carolina, l can honestly say l never heard my mom and dad say a swear word, dad always said he could swear at work but never in front of a lady, the nearest my mother ever came to it was "damn and blast"if she broke anything...and l always thought every ones family was like mine but growing up it was a culture shock to find out it was'nt so....when we are young an innocent we live in a bubble but it doe'nt take long before it bursts...Brenda

Carolina, l can honestly say l never heard my mom and dad say a swear word, dad always said he could swear at work but never in front of a lady,  the nearest my mother ever came to it was "damn and blast"if she broke anything...and l always thought every ones family was like mine but growing up it was a culture shock to find out it was'nt so....when we are young an innocent we live in a bubble but it doe'nt take long before it bursts...Brenda

Mum would say, "oh damson stones and custard!" Nan would say "well damn my hooray!" I think there was a shop floor sayings posting somewhere on here but my mate who was a compositor heard at work, "well buxxar my rag!" Nan used to say "well buxxar me" and dad when he came home from work would collapse in his chair and say, "i'm buxxered" Nan only came out with these when I was an adolescent. An Irish friend used to say, I nearly collopsed! I wish I was back in me little bubble. Nico

Do you have yellow roses over there Brenda like the song says? I had a friend called himself Texas Tom, he lived in Bolton!

Nan watched a panto from the stalls she said, "I ad to watch the whole shebang through the ruddy 'arp I thought I wuz in ruddy 'eaven." She said she would soon be pushin up the daisies. She had a friend who used to buy a cartoon of dripping and a plunket of raspberries. Her friend's son worked a long way away and had to compute to work. "The bloke that lives theer is an alko ollic.... and he's a communist!" If someone spat in the gutter she would turn round, glare at them and say, "cancer spreader!" I still laugh at it with my mate now.

Maybe Nick. I thought it was much older though. I did like the Clitheroe Kid. Any ideas on "don't force it Phoebe? " If I was trying to push something in to something which wouldn't go, dad always came out with that phrase. If I was tearing aroung Nan would say, "steady past yer grannies."
If a task was hard or mum's frock was too tight she would say "it's like getting a quart in to a pint pot". Nan had an expression, ''that looks like Venus on a rock cake" Thanks, Nico

We had a family friend who used to say " OOh it were lovely Mrs 'Ardcastle"

In Ted Ray's 'Rays a Laugh' Ivy (Ted Ray) was devoted to Dr Hardcastle, and used to say: "He's lovely, Mrs Hoskin, he's lovely!" Mrs Hoskin's pet phrase was "It was agony, Ivy!"

i bet that was it, maybe they got it mixed up, or I did. The chap who used to say it worked for Pargettors Funeral Directors and he told everyone he worked for Pargeritas. He watched Dynasity on TV and his wife, an Irish lady used to shop at Ooberry Allens butchers. My mate's mum liked casuality corner in MFI. Nan used to say as she suffered with her back, "it were agony Ivy." My Gran used to say if e.g. we wanted some sweets, and you dithered, "Do you want it in yer 'and Mrs Murphy, or do you want it lyin' down? Can anyone help me on this one?

I caught my nose on a bush in the garden on Saturday but didnt think anything about it until I looked in the mirror and thought, gosh I have got a scratch on my duke. The nose was nearly always called a duke.

'I won't be long I'll be two shakes of a lambs tail."
Dad used to say if I gave him smething, "Thanking you"
Nan said of a man who swore, "ee was akkin' and blewin' all night long"
'Ee looks like death warmed up.
Two French sayings, " if you sing when you eat (as I do sometimes) you will never be rich"
Of a stuck up person " he fxxts higher thn his axxxe!"
Nico

my dad use to say if we come in dirty dont worry its clean dirt just have a wash
could never understand how dirt was clean

If I dropped some food on the carpet nan would say "It's alright, I've 'ovvered (hoovered) this morning, you can eat a peck o' dirt before you die.
Grandad would say I had a tide mark round my neck.
Mum would say for a quick wash, a cat lick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back