• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brummie sayings & language

Status
Not open for further replies.
If my Mum thought someone was trying to be a bit "posh" she would say "Ooh touch me not, I'm chocolate"!
I've heard the one about pigs pudding, no idea what it means!
I don't think this is a Brummie one; at bedtime Mum would say "Shut your eyes, Sandman's coming" -I was terrified "he" would put sand in my eyes!!
rosie.

I think never in the reign of pigs pudding probably meant it would never happen, because pig's pudding will never reign. Get the baby a new dress or new shoes I have heard too.

I still say "never in the reign of Pig's Pudding" to this day. I'm OK with it's meaning but
I don't know what it's origin could be.

If I asked my Mom where she was going - she would always say "There and back to see how far it is". She also used the saying about not getting baby a new bonnet.

Judy, when I have jobs to do and can't get on for some reason, I always say 'Well this won't get the baby a new bonnet'. Which is what your mom used to say, for the same reason I would imagine.

You've got a face as long as Livery Street! is one I remember quite well.

And another one I remember, "get off the 'orse road"

Just thought of another one, "This 'll never get the bab a new dress", meaning lets get on with it, we're not making progress.

i also remember and i still use it today...this will never get the baby a new hat...

lyn

Hi Rosie,
I've heard of entranklements, not sure of its origin but have heard lots of older Brummies refer to their ornaments as these. I suppose it gets changed as time goes by. Anne

When it was time for bed dad used to carry me on his back up the stairs saying "Up The Wooden Hill To Bedfordshire".

"Bostin" has a number of meanings :- great big : smashing : just the job. I think it was originally a Black Country word.

When my father thought I was telling a lie or winding him up, he used to say :- " You must think that I came up on the down train "

I never heard the word Bostin used in Brum, but when I had a Black Country friend, I heard it for the first time. I didn't like the word much.

I wonder if your dad was Irish jukebox ? (#795)
I heard that expression when I was over in Ireland but it wasn't "lagging" that was said then but "Lagan", (the river).

My Husband calls ornaments "trinklaments". I suppose it's from trinkets and ornaments.
rosie.
Nan called them nick nacks, dad called his pants nick nacks, nick nacks (incorrect spelling)in French mean nibbles like peanuts and the like.

I was combing my hair the other day, and as I had been our in strong winds I remarked to my husband that my hair was 'luggy'. He said 'What on earth does that mean'. I am left suspecting that this is a Brummie word for tangled hair.

My step mother also called ornaments knick knacks.

My mum also used to say 'lugs' - I always thought it was gross, sounds too much like 'slugs' to me so I always refer/ed to them as 'knots'. I think it might be a brummie word, I have never heard anyone else using it.

My mother used the word lugs often when brushing my sisters hair, and i used it when brushing my daughters hair. yes i think it's a brummie word.

Nan said wash yer lug holes out if I misheard her, or if I was eaves dropping she would say here comes cloth ears

Drifting away from "lugs" for a bit !
In all my time away from the Second City, I don't think I ever met anybody, apart from Brummies who called a cigarette end a "Nub".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back