• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brummie sayings & language

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claribel

master brummie
When my father wanted too go to the toilet he always said "I'm going to have a look at my TAY & SUGAR" he meant tea and sugar, he came from Smethwick. Any ideas where it came from. I have heard it since in the north, Manchester on the radio in a series called "The Bradshaws" on Century FM.
Happy New Year Clive

LOOK WELL TO THIS DAY -------IT IS ONE OF A KIND
AND WILL NEVER COME AGAIN .

THE WORLD GOES UP ,AND THE WORLD GOES DOWN ,
AND THE SUN SHINE FOLLOWS THE RAIN ;;
AND YESTERDAY,S SNEER,AND YESTERDAY,S FROWN ;
CAN NEVER COME AGAIN ,,
BEST WISHES ASTONIAN ,;;;

HAS SOME MISFORTUNE FALLEN TO YOUR LOT ? .
THIS, TOO, WILL PASS AWAY ;
ABSORB THE THOUGHT,
AND WAIT-- YOUR WAITING WILL NOT BE IN VAIN,
TIME GILDS WITH GOLD THE IRON
LINKS OF PAIN ,
THE DARK TODAY LEADS INTO LIGHT TOMORROW ;
THERE IS NO ENDLESS JOY , NO ENDLESS SORROW ,

ONE SHOULD KEEP OLD ROADS AND OLD FRIENDS .

My mother said she was going to have pikelets for tea. We use to sit in front of my nans fire toasting them on a fork. The packet in which they were bought the other day pronounced crumpets. So a round flatish thing with lots of holes in the top to me is a pikelet so what do the rest of you Brummies call them.

Pikelets must be a midland saying, l have friends from Wales , Coventry, who use the term pikelets, but friends from the south London etc, call them crumpets, when l educated them on the proper name, l was told they had never heard the word pikelets.

I had the same problem when i moved north from Brum, no one knew what i was talking about , had the same problem with Faggots they are Savoury Ducks up here :crazy2:

WHEN A BRUMMIE MAN SPEAKS OR REFERS ABOUT HIS DAUGHTER
HE CALLS HER HIS WHENCE , COME HERE MY WHENCE ,

My father always referred to his sister as "Our Wench".

If one looks up the definition of the word you would find that it is not a particularly 'enticing' word to use of one's own kith and kin on a whole.

I used to crunch sweets - especially spangles - and was told not to chumble them

Besty

When I Was Small, I Heard My Mother Say To People On Greeting Them "hows Your Belly Where The Pig Bit You"? (if It Has A Rude Meaning I Apologise But I've Asked People Before And No-one Knows What It Meant)

The pronunication of people's names -
Pamela and Patricia ( spoken Pa-trishaa !)

Hi Astonian: Google the Pig bit Ya thingy. Looks like it's popular in Australia and Eastern Canada as a Greeting.

Thankyou, My Mom Used This Phrase In The Late 40s Early 50s. I Wonder If It Was Brought Over By Troops During The War?

As far as i know the pig thing is a Black Country saying,is aswell as

Sit the pig on the wall to watch the band go by....i have no idea what this means

Another on for ya is that royt ya muthers bougt a pig,, ahh ye ooooh what about the smell in thee ouse, oooh the pig will have to get youst to it
Moss

I love to hear the local accents, the so-called 'Brummie' accent is usually from one of the Black Country districts though.

A Brummie goes for a job interview with long hair, dressed in a brightly coloured , wide collared shirt, a pair of flared jeans and a huge pair of platform shoes. The interviewer turns to him and says, "Good heavens, all you need now is a Kipper Tie!"
The Brummie replies, "Yes please mate, two sugars"

My Old Mother Used To Say To Me, If I Was Coming Down Stairs ,
And She Was Coming Up .go Back Up Whilst I,m Coming Up
Because It,s Bad Luck To Cross On The Stairs, And Now ,even Today
I Find Myself Saying It When Ever That Situation Arises When I,m Walking Up Stairs , Does Any-body Else Used That Expression Today -i Wonder .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back