• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Air raid shelters

I expect then that there are still quite a few above ground brick/concrete shelters around even now but put to different uses. Did most people get rid of their Anderson's? Or did they usually re-construct them above ground for use as sheds? I do remember seeing a few of these as sheds, above ground. Viv.

I used to love going down that big hill in Nechells on the back of my Dad's coal lorry. Gas street lamps and all. Regards, David.

Have been informed that this is one in front of Pype Hayes Hall, also one like it down Aldridge rd

Nice clear example of an above ground shelter Dave. Would have accommodated a fair number of people. Doesn't enhance the appearance of the house behind it!! Surprised it's survived. Thanks for posting. Viv.

Sylvia l remember the brick shelter at the back of Burlington st snr girls school in the playground, l know it was there we l left in dec 1950....some of the girls would play in there but not me l was too scared of the dark....those shelters were really dark no light at all, some of the girls would dare each other to run through it and come out the other but as l said not me l was always skiddish about the dark and what could be in it...Brenda

View attachment 66332This is mom and her dad, my grandad, by the shelter in their back garden in Vincent Street, Balsall Heath in 1940. Mom was 3, they got bombed out of their house while they were in the shelter. Grandad died in 1944 of TB, he was a bus driver.
Sue

Have been informed that this is one in front of Pype Hayes Hall, also one like it down Aldridge rd
There was one similar to this in a yard in Angelina St Balsall Heath, until the area was demolished late 60s

My Dad and my Uncle Tom built a Anderson Shelter in the back yard. BUT many times we just went under the stairs in the pantry. Lot of good that would have done us, The Bombing up the street on Vera Rd and Patric Road was REAL close and we had gone into the Anderson in the back yard. That night I do remember shrapnel hitting the outside of the corregated steel,the vroom vroom of the bombers and the all clear siren. We also found incinderary bomb tails that I had quite a collection. John Crump OldBrit in Parker. Co USA

There were some underground shelters at the back of the laundry in Goosmore Lane Erdington, the site is now Cousins. They were quite close to what looked like some military style building that were demolished when they built Jarvis Road.

Hey John, all the kids in my class used to exchange shrapnal collections for marbles and gobstoppers. Regards David.
My Dad and my Uncle Tom built a Anderson Shelter in the back yard. BUT many times we just went under the stairs in the pantry. Lot of good that would have done us, The Bombing up the street on Vera Rd and Patric Road was REAL close and we had gone into the Anderson in the back yard. That night I do remember shrapnel hitting the outside of the corregated steel,the vroom vroom of the bombers and the all clear siren. We also found incinderary bomb tails that I had quite a collection. John Crump OldBrit in Parker. Co USA

Report of a Chinese Lady turning underground shelters into underground shopping mall`s in China and making a £1.06 BN fortune, ladys name Xiuli Hawken, she is married to an Englishman, from the Daily Mirror 08/05/ 2011. Len.

Thinking back I spent time in three types of shelters. First was 'next doors' Anderson but we got brave and started staying in the house with me and my sister under the pantry slab until a little incendary bomb came through the roof, Dad threw it out the bedroom Window, so it was back to the candle lit musty Anderson. At Perry Beeches school we were often rushed into Concrete shelters built into a hillside.
Finally we had our own a brick and concrete shelter built, walls 12" thick, roof 6" reinforced concrete, and I was in it's doorway when a large bomb dropped nearby and blew me over.
It took years for us to demolish after the war. Half an Anderson shelter could be used to sledge down Sandy Lane, usually about 10 of us on it with many of us receiving cuts from the sharp edges. Most neighbours used Andersons for sheds and many of our family old garden photos show them.

hi there
i think you will find the bulding in the other thread yesterday in alexander street was the air raid was demolished as i recall
as it came under the health authory act best wishes astonian

A somewhat amusing little anecdote ...... My father could not meet the physical requirements to serve in the forces during World War II but wanted to contribute to the overall effort so they recruited him into the ARP (Air Raid Patrol). His duties were to supervise the orderly movement into the air raid shelters in the event of an impending air raid. Apparently, according to my mother, as soon as the first sirens would start she, and all the other neighbours, would hustle their families as quick as possible into the shelters. Then the question ... Where's Fred (my father)? No one seemed to realize that my father failed his call up because he suffered from severe deafness. He often would sleep through the siren's and the bombing but he was usually there to help everyone out after the All Clear was sounded.

Hi. The simple answer to "How many surviverd ?" is Hundreds !

As a Paramedic in B'ham I've covered the greater B'ham area from Marston Green to Solihull to Woodgate to Handsworth to Sutton to Castrle Brom, and can tell you that many Anderson Shelters are still in use as Sheds, and even Garages ! Many Municipal ones remain, some hidden, others there but sealed off. Some, like the one near me, (Its still Top Secret), were modified in the 50's & 70's to house Local Gov't in the event of a Nuclear Strike by the Eastern Bloc countries.
My Grandfather, a Driveway & Small Builders business owner, was barred from Service in WW II as he was deaf, but used his Lorry and staff for Heavy Rescue in the Sutton/Erdington areas after Bombing Raids. He also had a number of Anderson Shelter Corrugated Sheets in his back garden up until his death in the late 70's. These were the remaining stock from his 'Phoney War' period of constructing these for people. My Uncle in Walmley has a brick built Shelter in the rear garden, now a shed.
Also, dotted across the margins of the Urban fringe are the Pillar Boxes to guard Road Junctions and Manufacturing areas.
The old City Shelters had mixed fortunes. Some became Underground shops in the City, others were demolished. One, in Handsworth I think, and another in Lee Bank, were destroyed in Air Raids, (surely someone will know about these ?)

The photo below has been posted before on the forum. I can find the photo in the list of forum images, but can't find the actual post it was attached to. From my memory of Anderson shelters they were quite heavy but the man in what appears to be a suit and bowler hat, seems to hold it as if it was made of aluminium !
Looking at the style of the houses, the lady might have to take it through her house. There are other photos on the forum showing wrecked and battered shelters.
oldmohawk...:)
Image~8.jpg

Original forum pic is in https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8850&p=428007#post428007

Last edited:
From, what I can remember of playing with the curved sections of corrugated iron, they were heavy for an 8 year old, but a man could easily carry one. This photo looks posed, with LNER Railway lorries delivering to houses. The lady in the foreground is dressed exactly like my Grandmother did until she died in 1978 !

I tried to post a Google Street View but it did not work. I shall have to find out how to do that. If you put Connells, Birmingham Street, Oldbury into Google maps and then go to street view. Unfortunately the camera car did not go all the way past the shop concerned but Connells is a white building with a red shop sign. On the pavement outside you will see a metal plate. On that plate it says Public Air Raid Shelter.

Last edited:
so they recruited him into the ARP (Air Raid Patrol).
Hi DaveG,

Only a minor point but ARP stood for Air Raid Precautions.

Old Boy

Calling all sleuths

A close female relative of mine has recently told me of a strong family link that was to me previously unknown.

If this link is correct It could open up a whole legion of information and relatives that until now I never knew existed.

To start I would very much like to ask all members if they recall a former Greengrocers shop called Griffins on Newton Row Birmingham, nr the junction of Burlington Street.

The person who I seek is a gentleman known as Mr Sparrow. I cannot at this stage confirm his first name but we are going back in time to the late 1920's.

I would very much appreciate any information, images or stories anyone has of this long gone property and the identity of Mr Sparrow.

My thanks in advanced anticipation.

Marc

quite amazing that this air raid shelter was still around when this pic was taken....albion st/tenby st dated 1992

img906.jpg

How many people would have used a shelter this size Lyn? It looks quite small, but I am guessing that it would have been designed for a lot more people than I think!
Sue

There used to be one on the road from Yardley Wood, the one that goes up to Millpool Hill, and one in our school playground, but I think it may have been smaller than this. Entrances half bricked up if I remember rightly, but used to scare the hell out of me. Did they have lighting inside does anyone know? I'm glad I was born just after the war, I don't think I could ever have gone into one of these, being claustrophobic.

I too am glad I was born after the war. My mum told me about shelters receiving a direct hit by bombs, not something you'd want to see. Viv.

There used to be one on the road from Yardley Wood, the one that goes up to Millpool Hill, and one in our school playground, but I think it may have been smaller than this. Entrances half bricked up if I remember rightly, but used to scare the hell out of me. Did they have lighting inside does anyone know? I'm glad I was born just after the war, I don't think I could ever have gone into one of these, being claustrophobic.

You must be thinking of those near Highters Heath school Shortie.
I remember there were at least two enormous one there and I'm pretty sure there was a brick built water reservoir there too.
Now you mention it I don't suppose they did have any lighting in them, you'd have had to take your own I imagine.

Back