• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. cresser

Initials-what Do They Mean?

Hi all, Yesterday I downloaded a copy of a`Graves Registration Report Form`, from the CWGC. In one column there is typed; "All Crosses Erected or `G.R.U`d", what does the G.R.U`d mean??. Many thanks in advance. cresser.
  2. cresser

Barmy Dog.......!

Hi all, I am looking after a friends 3 year old German Shepherd dog (Shep), he is a wonderful dog, friendly, playful (VERY playful!), and has not been aggressive to any other animal, or person. I have had G.S myself before and know how good they can be, anyway, today I have seen something I...
  3. cresser

Hazelwell Pub - Spirits

Hi all, Strange one this, and I`m not sure anyone can help - but if you don`t ask ..... I partake of a pint or three at the Hazelwell pub between Kings Heath and Stirchley. Yesterday I was told a story by two different people that apparently, there have been some strange `goings on` by way of...
  4. cresser

Keeps appearing - what is it?

Hi all, for some time now, every time I boot up (or whatever its called to start the thing!), my pc, a box appears which says "RUN DLL, Error Loading. The specified module could not be found". This appears everytime, and I have no idea what it means or if it could harm my system or just slow it...
  5. cresser

A puppy & WW2

Hi All, Just finished a book from the Library about a Czech airman, shot down in France during WW2, and discovers a German Shepherd puppy. It goes on to be a really emotional and heartwarming book, and the bond that builds up between the dog, the airman and his friends that is stronger than...
  6. cresser

Kings Heath Fire Men.

Hi all, I came across this image on my pc, that Iknow is of men from Kings Heath Fire Station, because I had the priginal picture but gave it to the Fire Service Archive collection some time ago. I also know there is a year given on the plaque fixed to the front of the `engine` on the left, I...
  7. cresser

The original Red Lion Kings Heath ?

Hi all, I took this photo a few days ago, because I thought that if the building was refurbed, I would like to show the new owners/occupants, what it was like beforehand. It stands on Vicarage Road in Kings Heath, about a hundred yards or so from the existing pub. There is a rumour, that I have...
  8. cresser

Bert Smith - Kings Heath

Hi all, I wonder if anyone from the Kings Heath area, (Silver Street), would remember my uncle, Bert Smith (you could`nt get a more common name could you?). Bert lived at 85 Silver Street and worked at a grocers, I think in Moseley, and he used to deliver the groceries on a bicycle. Bert was...
  9. cresser

email formats

Hi all, Now I know nothing about pc`s, so any advice is very likely to go right over my head! ..... but here goes. I am unemployed, and virtually every job application is done via internet/email. My problem is, I do not have Word, on my pc, only Open Office. I have recently tried to apply for a...
  10. cresser

Who might this man be??

Hi all, I think this is now a lost cause, but I would love to find out who this man is/was. The picture was found in my Fathers effects, so I`m assuming he might be a `Cresswell`, otherwise, why would my Dad keep it?. The picture was taken in India, year unkown, but judging by the uniform I`m...
  11. cresser

Cemetery Plans/diagram

Hi all, I know this is not strictly to do with Birmingham, but I have tried on a couple of the local forums and had no response. I am after a map or diagram, of Redditch Cemetery, Bordesley Road. I have been to the cemetery and asked for one, but they did`nt have any, and there are a couple of...
  12. cresser

The Mountaineer, Kings Heath

Hi all, I used to use the `Mount` for years, but like a lot of pubs now, the drugs got into them and they don`t seem to last long then, but it WAS a really good pub once. There was a character who was always in there, who was nicknamed, `Vic the Viking`, he used to give everyone a nickname, ( I...
  13. cresser

Church escape route?

Hi all, I`ve just got back from taking pictures of St Nicholas` Church, Loxley, Warwickshire - as part of my family came from that village - and I came across this `trench`, which ran along outside of the main body of the church, and appeared to go underground. The drop was about, 4-foot, but I...
  14. cresser

Matelots pals

I found this picture among my Fathers belongings, he was R.N. too, so I assume these were some of his mates. I was wondering if anyone recognises any of them, there is no indication on the back. If anyone does know any of them, I would be very happy to forward a copy f.o.c. cheers, cresser.
  15. cresser

Cresswell Dorothy , nee, Smith

I am trying to find out where Dorothy Smith was born. On her death certificate, it records her birth as, 10th June, 1926, but it then just says, `England`. On 23rd November 1946, Dorothy married Leslie Cresswell, my uncle, at Wallasey Register Office, and her address at the time being 151...
  16. cresser

Kings Heath Football Team-1939

(I have reinstated my picture, hacked by some twerp) - Would anyone recognise any of these lads. I only know one of them, the lad at the extreme right, back row - he`s my Dad, John Cresswell. He lived in Silver Street, Kings Heath. On the back is written the year, `1939`, and the name, `Alan...
  17. cresser

Cresswell Dorothy nee, Smith

I wonder if anyone can help at all. I am trying to find the birthplace of my Aunt, Dorothy Cresswell, maiden-name, Smith, ( had to be one did`nt there! ). She was born in 1926, and married my Uncle, Leslie Alec Cresswell in 1946 at Wallasey Register Office. She died in 2003 at Redditch...
  18. cresser

Ex-Boxer

Hi all, I wonder if anyone can help at al. I have just found out that my Uncles Father was a Boxer from some years ago, all I do know is that the mans name was Thomas, `Tommy` Wilson, that is really all I have, I don`t know what weight he fought at, or how far he got in the sport. My uncle was...
  19. cresser

WW2 Bombings

I wonder if anyone could help me at all. I have just received a death certificate for my Grandfathers brother. His death is recorded on the CWGC site as `Civilian War Dead`, and the cause of his death on the cert` say`s; `Due to War Operations`, on 12 December 1940. At the time he lived in...
  20. cresser

Cresswell Arthur of Kings Heath

Hi, I am trying to find anything at all concerning my G/Father, who lived in Kings Heath. His name was Arthur Cresswell, and he lived at 85 Silver Street, K/H. In 1923, Arthur married Lily May Barrett, who lived next door at number 83. After Lily died in 1924, Arthur re-married, to Martha...
Back