• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Church escape route?

cresser

master brummie
Loxley Church-10.jpgLoxley Church-1.jpgHi all,
I`ve just got back from taking pictures of St Nicholas` Church, Loxley, Warwickshire - as part of my family came from that village - and I came across this `trench`, which ran along outside of the main body of the church, and appeared to go underground. The drop was about, 4-foot, but I could`nt see where it came from/went to. The only thing I could think of, was that it was some kind of `escape` exit, but it seemed a bit too obvious really for that. Any idea`s?. It`s a lovely old, old church, and if it could talk, it would have some stories to tell I bet!
There is also a small childs grave I think, just outside the main doors, which has two `headstones`, one at either end of the grave. Between these are metal bars rather like a cage, (I thought they were boot scrapes!!), I was told once that these bars were to stop grave robbers - I don`t know if this is true, but I can believe it.
Cheers, cresser.

Yes cresser the cage is called a mortsafe, to stop grave-robbers as you said, but I don't know what the trench could be for....can't wait to find out!!
rosie.

Hi Rosie,
Thanks for replying, and for the info` about the Mortsafes. I`ve just looked on Wikipedia, and there, it says the Mortsafe was invented about 1816, and that in some cases, they were left in place over a grave for 6 weeks, when the body inside would be, "sufficiently decayed", and then moved for further use!!. Apparently, they were very much in evidence in Scotland.
Thanks again for that, I`ve learned something new.:fat: cresser.

Thank you for posting that really interesting photograph; it is in fact a wreath rack; on which such items as immortelles (wreaths of either porcelain or dried flowers) would be placed throughout the year.

There are a number (thought not many) of these items around; they were not 'standard stock' items and were invariably made to order by local blacksmiths.

This is now the fourth one of these churchyard objects I now know about, the one thing they seem to have in common is they tend to be the graves of relatively youngpeople.

Here is one situated in a disused churchyard near Bewdley.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/morturn/7859582348/

Hi morturn,
Thanks for your comments, I have to admit I`d never thought of it being a wreath rack, but yes, it does make sense, perhaps those bars were never strong enough to have stopped a determined robber, even when original. I`ve had a quick look through some of your shots on flickr, and I`m impressed, hope I can attain your quality. Thanks again, cresser.:friendly_wink:

Thank you too for posting the picture and asking questions. I would like to know more about wreath racks, they are a graveyard monument to a deceased person, but who?

These monuments mark the final resting place of a living person, but also leave so many questions unanswered; who was this person, why did this persons loved ones choose to commemorate their passing in this way, what story is this gravestone telling?

I have written a short article about churchyards here; https://publichistoryblog.wordpress...anguage-that-can-help-us-understand-our-past/

Hi again morturn,
Very interesting reading, giving plenty of food for thought. I`ve attched a larger shot of the rack, to give a slightly better perspective to it`s location.Cheers, cresser.Loxley Church-3.jpg

Hi there Cresser

Thank you for that, churchyards are fascinating aren’t they.

Hi there Cresser<br><br>Thank you for that, churchyards are fascinating aren’t they. <br>

Thank you for posting that really interesting photograph; it is in fact a wreath rack; on which such items as immortelles (wreaths of either porcelain or dried flowers) would be placed throughout the year.

There are a number (thought not many) of these items around; they were not 'standard stock' items and were invariably made to order by local blacksmiths.

This is now the fourth one of these churchyard objects I now know about, the one thing they seem to have in common is they tend to be the graves of relatively youngpeople.

Here is one situated in a disused churchyard near Bewdley.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/morturn/7859582348/

Fascinating reading Morturn..you should write a book.

Hi Morturn
I enjoyed reading your graveyard piece, as i have said before you have a way with words.

Thanks Stars

Well thank you both for that, I am glad you found it interesting.

I am working on a book at the moment, It's about history as seen thought the eyes of ordinary people.

In recent years, there has been a terrific growth in the quest to know one’s self, this therefore has subsequently fuelled a prolific growth in people interested in their own history, as a way of answering this question of self. Understanding our self brings together people’s relationship with the past. By uncovering the past, we reveal a wealth of stories and histories of everyday family life. These stories are both engaging people withthe past, and by opening dialogs with them, we help people to connect with their self and propagate a historical desire to understand more of this ‘how things were’.

I find this type of history far more interesting than the stuff I was taught at school (in fact I was kicked off the CSE history course), its what makes the contributions on this forum so interesting. People can bring and discuss their memories, recollections and photographs and talk about the past as seen thought their eyes.

This is a very brief introduction to it here; https://riversevern.wordpress.com/about/

I have yet to see a mortsafe and I have visited a lot of churchyards in this part of the world, I wonder if they are a "regional thing ? Originally looking for military memorials, I haven't been able to avoid seeing items of historical interest too. The oldest thing I've seen was erected at the time of the Civil War but there have been people who were killed on the fledgeling railways, mothers and babies who died in mill fires and much more. I agree with Morturn, history is right under our feet and, thanks to Google search it's there to be found.

Hi there Maypolebaz

Yes indeed, they tended to be a regional thing; you can find them close to the schools of anatomy in Scotland.

There were other methods of deterring body snatchers; churchyards built watch towers, high iron railing and gates like at Brompton Cemetery. Some of the very heavy table top tombs were there to prevent disturbance of graves.

Very interesting thread I have never seen a mortsafe. I have seen many wreath racks and porcelain flowers in glass domes these often have metal grills over the top I presume this was to protect the glass. There is a grave yard in Wales that has several it also has CCTV they are so lucky. I have loved this thread as many of you know my husband says I bother the dead and irritate the living. So glad I am among st friends with similar interests.

Very interesting thread I have never seen a mortsafe. I have seen many wreath racks and porcelain flowers in glass domes these often have metal grills over the top I presume this was to protect the glass. There is a grave yard in Wales that has several it also has CCTV they are so lucky. I have loved this thread as many of you know my husband says I bother the dead and irritate the living. So glad I am among st friends with similar interests.

Wendy

Very wise words indeed.

Our fascination is not anything to do with death, quite the opposite, it is to do with life; the lives of those that had gone before us.

I stand corrected Morturn! Thank you, I've never seen a wreath rack so I presumed it was a Mortsafe, and that's how history gets corrupted. I'm glad we have your knowledge!
I have seen some of the glass domes in Wales but it was many years ago.
rosie.

Hi rosie

Well I only found out about wreath racks last year by accident when I came across a disused churchyard near to Bewdley. The Victorians were very symbolic of death, and commemorative memorials.

What we see is particular designs croping up repeatedly; angels holding on to crosses, the draped urn, the down turned torch, the broken column, and the weeping cherub, all symbols of the Victorian way of death.

Of course as with all symbols they are almost a code, which if you do not know the code, can and sometimes does, become misinterpreted.

If this is any help to anyone, here are some of the more common Victorian symbols of churchyard memorabilia;

Anchor. Hope or at rest, an early Christian symbol.
Angel. The agent of God often pointing heavenwards also guardian of the dead.
Bed. A deathbed sometimes only illustrated by a pillow.
Book. Symbolises faith.
Chair. Commonly known as a vacant chair left by the deceased.
Column. A broken column signifies mortality, the support of life being broken.
Dove. The Holy Spirit or peace.
Gates. The entrance way into heaven.
Hands. When clasped this is a symbol of farewell.
Horse. Strength, courage or the swiftness of the passage of time.
Hourglass. The traditional symbol of Father Time who also carries a scythe.
Human foot. Humility and service since it consistently touches the earth.
Lamp. Immortality, knowledge of God.
Laurel. Fame, often of a literary or artistic figure.
Lion. Courage, strength and the resurrection.
Obelisk. Eternal life from the Egyptian sun-worshipping symbol.
Phoenix. Christ’s resurrection.
Rocks. The church or Christen steadfastness.
Rose. Associated with the Virgin Mary or paradise.
Scythe. Passage of time and death.
Sheaf of wheat. Denotes someone who has lived a long and fruitful life
Ship. The Christian church symbolically carrying the faithful through the world.
Skull. Mortality.
Snake. With its tail in its mouth means eternity.
Water. A hand pouring water from a flagon may occur on Jewish tombs of the Levites whose duty in the synagogue is to pour water upon the hands of the priests.
Torch. Immortality, upturned means a life extinguished.
Urn. Draped and empty symbolises death.
Wheat. Fruitfulness harvested
Willow. Grief and mourning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi morturn, I only knew a few of those, aren't they lovely?!
I wouldn't have realised what a foot meant, but I like the empty chair one.
rosie.

Thanks Morturn for the list of grave symbols.
Here is a lovely example of flower domes on and early photo of Key Hill cemetery.

Key_Hill_Cemetery_with_flower_domes.jpg

Thanks for the picture Wendy, I have it somewhere but I didn't know if it was OK to post it. Not only glass domes, but my Grandad's sister was in that public grave S17. (Moved for the Metro!)
rosie.

Fantastic photo Wendy, I have seen flower domes in old secondhand shop, not realising what they were; we learn something new every day.

Knowing the meaning of the symbols gives us another way tolook; I find churchyards and cemeteries much more interesting now.

Back