• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hazelwell Pub - Spirits

cresser

master brummie
Hi all,
Strange one this, and I`m not sure anyone can help - but if you don`t ask .....
I partake of a pint or three at the Hazelwell pub between Kings Heath and Stirchley. Yesterday I was told a story by two different people that apparently, there have been some strange `goings on` by way of glasses seemingly falling from shelves on their own, and that a small girl has been seen riding a small bicycle upstairs in the function room. Now I realise that this may well be a wind-up of course, but I just wondered if anyone else has heard these stories or indeed, has first hand experience of anything funny going on. (By the way - I do know there are spirits there!!!!):), cheers, cresser.

Hi all,
Strange one this, and I`m not sure anyone can help - but if you don`t ask .....
I partake of a pint or three at the Hazelwell pub between Kings Heath and Stirchley. Yesterday I was told a story by two different people that apparently, there have been some strange `goings on` by way of glasses seemingly falling from shelves on their own, and that a small girl has been seen riding a small bicycle upstairs in the function room. Now I realise that this may well be a wind-up of course, but I just wondered if anyone else has heard these stories or indeed, has first hand experience of anything funny going on. (By the way - I do know there are spirits there!!!!):), cheers, cresser.
cresser,
I`ve spooken to many people about the subject of ghosts, & we all firmly believe that it is all a load of bull-droppings. Having said that, there are certain people who you may mistake as ghosts, & lot of them reside in the House of Lords. If there were ghosts & people who could comunnicate with them, surely there would be no unsolved murders?

Why are so few ghosts arrested?
A: It’s hard to pin anything on them!

A ghost goes into a pub and says to the barmaid, "can I have a glass of whisky please". The barmaid replies, "I'm sorry, we're not allowed to serve spirits". Dave.

A ghost goes into a pub and says to the barmaid, "can I have a glass of whisky please". The barmaid replies, "I'm sorry, we're not allowed to serve spirits". Dave.
A pub that doesn`t serve spirits? I shall phone the inn-spectre immediately!

Talk about coincidence - the assistant manager from The Hazelwell is working at my husband's local. He has just asked her and she certainly has heard of the girl on the bike. I gather she has not seen her but knows people who claim to have. She also thinks there are 2 other spirits - one in the cellar.

Janice

Hi everyone,
I guessed I`d get a couple ghostie & ghoulie jokes, and I`ve printed them off to take up there as and when. I did however go there yesterday and was speaking to a mate who I have known for a while, and he, many years ago, actually worked there and he agreed that there were indeed stories of apparitions and so forth. No-one as yet knows anything about why these things appear or happen, but on doing a little research it seems there was a building known as Hazelwell Hall on the very same site as the pub is now, so I wonder if that might have something to do with whatever might be happening. As the gang of workmen around a hole in the ground were doing ....I`m going to look into it. Janice, the chap I spoke to also mentioned the cellar, thanks to everyone who replied.:). cresser.

Hi cresser and smudger
I have read your thread on this topic about people believing or not beleiving
In ghostly Haunting either you believe or not believe in these ghostly figures, its up to the individual
To believe or not believe and question is mind at the time he is seeing the Appresion of
Some think but as the saying goes guys,seeing is beleiveing,
And until that day comes the doubters are out there will await until that day comes for themselves
I can assure you they are out there I myself along with people by my side have witnessed it
I was not alone ,I have to say the ghosties are in short supply now,
I think its because the new world of moderen structure as moved them on
But there is plenty around in the older parts of the city but also in moderen parts
My brother lived in Ladywood many years ago on those what was one time new estate
Along side the monument cannal l and more sheepcote end of light thorne Avenue
He had the haunting of a young lady whom was murdered in the area across the wood yard siding
Of the railway he had to bring in the vicar from st johns Ladywood to drive her away
It taken him several visits before going away,also my friends and myself visited
Ickneild street one night with teams,es as well in those days they had big solid benches
Around the cemetery with nice chipping paths ways and that's when the old chapel
Was still standing years before the demolished it it looked like a roman temple
With stain glasses doors and very high steps to go into it
We was sitting there late night awaiting for these things to happened and by golly
It did there was a well reserved built grave encased in marble and chipping I still recall
The grave and the family name but I am not allowed to mention the family name on here
Owing to the fact there will be family members of this family whom I know
That they are or was member of this forum but any way we got up and ran to the main gates to get out of there
We told everybody about it for weeks also I have witnessed at my mothers address at the time which was 47 Victoria road Aston, late one Sunday night walking in from the kitchen on the left hand aside of me
And stood for a couple of seconds in front of a coal fire then just disappeared and months later
My younger brothers friend Dave stayed the night he was sleeping on the counch at this 47.
And in the middle of the night he came running up the stairs to the attic shouting
Quickly I have seen thast ghost ,then another person whom was a friend of mine and the frisby
Family house he was a tough lad stayed in spring hill passage Ladywood
Sleeping on the couch he seen two tea towels swing and the figure he bolted home
We have ran the old ye red lion acocks green many moons ago at night
You could hear the barralls rolling around the cellar and rattling of chains we was told this would happened by a previous gaffer there and sure as god made apples we used to get it we would wake up to it
For those whom do not know the old ye red lion acocks green there was on the old site
Prior to the pub used to be a convent with sisterhoodscomenly known as Nunn's
And apparently she was attacked and murdered , I am just trying to think of one oif our forum member whom may have been around years before we moved in and he knows the history of this pub I believe
It was the same as the city centre pub within the bull ring ghostly
In my seventy years I have seen many a ghostly figures and I believe in them
I experience Aston parish church in the old days of the forty a,long with other people at one time there was graves going back centuries got to a stage in that cemetery there was no foot paths to walk around to find a
Persons grave until many years later when they started to Finn it out
My daughter is a well known medium she went to Warwick castle I think it was and with a camera
And it was a night time tour she took a picture of a going down steps part
And she never seen a genuine life picture of any person , or child at the precice time
When she went home and took the pictures of the section of the castle going down steps she captures
On film a little boy dressed in old fashion clothes of the day he was. Crunching down
She was amazed and she rang the castle organisers and told them what she had captured
On film they asked her to come back and show them the picture they was totally shocked by it
So yes there are afew knocking about even today and that brings us back to the saying
Seeing is beleiveing and I truly believe only certain people can experience seeing these things
Best wishes to you and one and all. , Astonian,,,,,,,

My b-i-law was fond of telling stories of ghosts` that he thought he`d seen, but he was rather fond of his whisky! On the other hand, my sister who is quite sensible swears blind that she`s seen the ghost of a young girl when she lived in Lozells.ghost lady.jpg ghost-and-deer.jpg irish ghost.jpg [/ATTACH] spooky.jpg

Last edited:
Hi All,
I have a good friend whose wife was diagnosed with a terminal cancer. Together they joined a spiritulist church in the hope that they may be able to communicate with each other after she had passd on.
Sadly after Teresa died my friend was disappointed that he had no message from his loved wife. However he did meet a widow there who was hoping to hear from her departed husband but she had no message either. Gradually he and the widow fell in love and married and they are still living happily together after many years. Alls well that ends well.
Old Boy

Referring to the original post / query on this thread: I must admit that I've never heard of any reported activity at the pub concerned previously, Cresser. (I guess I should have said there: 'despite having been collecting such stories associated with the West Midlands area for many years now', etc).

I find the key problem with pub related tales is the simple fact that such establishments are particularly conducive to such legends..... and these accounts often differ greatly, with time, from manager to manager, etc. I've often heard it said that 'every pub has a ghost!' and this does seem to be the literal truth!? I guess, more accurately, that statement should run: 'every pub seems to have some ghost stories attached to it....' probably!?

Some years ago, we investigated some alleged, 'ghostly-goings-on' at the 'Court Oak' in Harborne and was told by the then manager that they occasionally found the odd bottle of wine smashed on the cellar floor. (Certainly not an uncommon motif in pub lore, of course). The manager had 'jokingly' complained at the time that she wished the 'ghost' could have been a little more careful in which bottles it was breaking, as a lot were, apparently, the more expensive bottles in stock!! Laugh!! As par for the course in such matters at the time, an account of the details involved were written up and posted on our website, etc.

Anyhow - some years later, I was generally surfing the net and happened to come across an article relating how the 'Court Oak' apparently had the phantom of a 'wine connoisseur' haunting the cellars who specifically smashed certain bottles of wine that he didn't like, etc, etc. I honestly can't recall if they'd gone as far as giving this ghost a name or not, but I have the feeling that this might well have been the case!? Rolls eyes!! Chuckle!!

Back