• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The original Red Lion Kings Heath ?

cresser

master brummie
Hi all,

I took this photo a few days ago, because I thought that if the building was refurbed, I would like to show the new owners/occupants, what it was like beforehand. It stands on Vicarage Road in Kings Heath, about a hundred yards or so from the existing pub.
There is a rumour, that I have heard on more than one ocassion, and from different people, that this building was the original Red Lion pub, but I have not seen anything to back this up. I wonder if any forum goers, could prove or disprove this. Cheers, cresser.2013_0521fieldsnpark0085.jpg The existing pub is >>>>> that way from this building.

cresser, prior to 1905 when the now Red Lion was built the old pub was situated at 219 Vicarage Rd and as the address of the house in the photograph is 219 your assumption must be correct.

Hmmm... 'twould seem to me then that the newer was replaced by a much older building!

I was told about this cottage a couple of years ago, the "new" Ye Old Red Lion was built in 1904 to a design by C.E.Bateman who designed a number of the house in the area, prior to that, the location of The Red Lion is given as number 219 Vicarage Road, with the adjoining block of cottages known as Red Lion Cottages. I could find no trace of it earlier than 1900.

Colin

Red Lion, 229 Vicarage Rd / Grove Rd Opened 11th August 1904 at a cost of £5,381 18 shillings and 5 pence. The Architect was C.E.Bateman and the front of the building was finished in Wildon Stone. It was the first of a new type of reformed large separate public house which later came into their own in the 1920's and 30's. This "religious building" style was a deliberate attempt to make drinking in pubs a respectable pastime. It features carvings of monks quaffing brimming tankards of ale. taken from Andrew Maxam's book Time Please

I'm just surprised how much newer the older building looks compared to the newer. It's not much different to houses being built today!

Hi all,

Well, thats answered my post and no messing. Thankyou to everyone who replied, and for the history of the, `newer`, Red Lion, I am going to print it all and keep it for future `arguments`!. I have a friend who lives very near to the older `Lion`, and he likes a drink or three - I know he would LOVE to have a pub so near to home !!!!. Once again, Thanky you everyone. Cheers, cresser.:encouragement:
Oh by the way, Oisin, I have walked passed the old building many times, and although the gable end wall has been renovated, if not rebuilt, and the extension to the back added, the brick work to the front is in a poor state, with quite large cracks appearing now, but blimey, it is an old building, but I do see what you mean though. Cheers.

Hi ellbrown,
I`ve just had a look through some of your shots on flickr - I`m only guessing, but do you have a fondness for the Bulls Head!!!!:biggrin:, cresser.

HI CRESSER ;
To bE honest in my mind i am not entirely the answer is correct on the subject of the red lion ;unfortuneately i have lost the records
and as you know or should be aware some- one some how hi jacked the forum and its pictures i have been on here a number of years now and i am convinced that when i first enroloed this subject came up about the red lion ;now i was involved with the brewery along time ago i do keep records of yesteryear
and i am in tpouch with brewery people and of familys whom have run the old red lion many years ago so i will see some one from the brewery of the subject on this the number of the old house may not be correct but the little house was as i beleive operating before moving to the corner as we now all know it
and at that particular time i was amazed to hear about it as i always thought it was the orinional pub ;but i am sure we had on picture and dated but our postie would not have it now to research for it ;so for now i will see my neibour and friend whom as done alot and is stillinvolved with the kings heath society
for many years and asked him he can throw light on it i am not disputing the dezigner bates but the year when the old little house was the orinional pub before the one tanding today ; bet wishes ASTONIAN;

There were two pubs close together (or at least a pub and a beer seller) circa 1904 there were at 219 Vicarage road there was Red Lion P H Mrs Mary Ann Evans and at 229 Vicarage Road there was a Evans Dan Henry beer Retailer and Grocer,

In the 1899 directory there are Red Lion P H James Woolley a few doors down there is Bailey Frank beer retailer and grocer,
and a few more doors down there is a Davis Mrs Mercie beer retailer no number given

Hi all,
Alan & Horsencart, Thanks for you thoughts on this, I welcome any info` about the area I have grown up in and still live in. Alan, you should get those certs` tomorrow, hope you can make them out, the writing is a bit dodgy. Cheers all, cresser.

Hi ellbrown,
I`ve just had a look through some of your shots on flickr - I`m only guessing, but do you have a fondness for the Bulls Head!!!!:biggrin:, cresser.

If I see an old pub on my travels, I take photos of them. No particular favourite. Just so happens that some have the same name (White Swan, The Crown etc).

pub Birmingham search on my Flickr photostream

Dan Henry Evans was the son of Mary Ann Evans (219) and he died in 1910.
By 1911 Mary Ann Evans had retired and was living in Showell Green Lane with daughter Flora.

Back