• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. bobbyb

lad in the Lane meet On The Day

Can I also give my thanks for a very good meet and thanks to Chris Ian and Brian and Cath, my Bro and I enjoyed ourselves and glad the "Road Kill" went to a good home, I honestly thought it was a frozen one rather than a pre stuffed before I saw it, Thanks to everyone attending and making it a...
  2. bobbyb

Engineering Sayings

During my Apprenticeship I had all those along with a left handed spanner, do exist, but thought my leg was being pulled, Women are the worst ones to work with and I know as I once worked in a factory load and one can only guess the initiation I went through when starting there and were always...
  3. bobbyb

Centenary of the Great War - August 4 2014

I've sort of got mixed emotions on this, best thing I read is a commemoration, the ordinary Tommie needs to be remembered, as they had no choice in the matter of the 1914-18 War, trouble is except for Local memorials and on the Battlefields, they get no mention in the annuls of that war only the...
  4. bobbyb

The Mighty Maglev re-appears...

Saw it this morning and really is looking forlorn surrounded by all the building materials, I wonder if the new Hotel could incorporate it in the grounds, they are digging some big holes and I wondered if they are going to bury it:),
  5. bobbyb

BHF Xmas Bash (on the day)

Well Done all you brave souls who managed to attend and the Photo's are great, I t was Murder at Work as we had aircraft coming in from Heathrow, then they shut the runway at about 15-00 as the snow was constant and there was no way they could keep it clear, til it stopped, I was run wragged...
  6. bobbyb

Peter walker.

My Condolences to Peter's Family, I loved reading his contributions and the detail he gave. RIP Peter.
  7. bobbyb

The Mighty Maglev re-appears...

They could of cleaned it up and put into the car park of the new hotel they are building and made it a centre piece
  8. bobbyb

Hi all

You gave us a scare, so it wonderful to see you back again and really take care, thinking of you.
  9. bobbyb

Balsall Heath Park - The 'little Park'

In the 70's I used to be a Relief Park Patrol, complete with uniform, worked out of Billesley Depot, hardly went there though, and one of the Parks I did was Balsall Heath Park, got on famousley with the kids, they had a play centre and on School Holidays the place swarmed with kids, part of the...
  10. bobbyb

Found these in the Guardian. (might be interesting)

The second one interested me because I remember the M1 like this and opening the throttle on my "Goldie" to Watford Gap, the fasted I'd ever done and the last as it shook like hell, no helmet either.
  11. bobbyb

Found these in the Guardian. (might be interesting)

https://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2010/nov/03/archive-buses-break-a-speed-barrier-1959 https://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2010/nov/03/british-pathe-archive-m1-motorway-video second does not relate to Buses, just thought it might be of interest as well.
  12. bobbyb

Airport pub

The Hole in the Wall was situated at the back near where the Blues shop is now, tucked under the ramp, no idea if it is still there
  13. bobbyb

Airport pub

Under Trust-House Forte the Hotel was called the Excelsior and on the site were two Private Clubs, the Warwick, owned by the Warwick Aero Club, pulled down a few years ago, on the site of the new Hotel they are building and the BA club on the patch of ground between Commissary Road and the back...
  14. bobbyb

Where is This? Garages #20

the building looks familiar is it near Aston Uni tried to think of the name of the street, below Gosta Green opposite a motor factors, do not think its a garage as such now if its still standing, my memories really going ga ga.
  15. bobbyb

Morris Dancers

I also enjoyed the stick dancing, small as well as the staffs, the sword was also very good took loads of practice and co-ordination
  16. bobbyb

Morris Dancers

I know quite an insular mob as most of the older ones were the ones who started it and yes they are still going, meet at the Highcroft Social Club now, I was made quite welcome though, but changed jobs and shifts didn't fit, I think its www.greenmanmorris.org.uk
  17. bobbyb

Morris Dancers

Cannot name the group but I do recognise the Shakespears in post 4 and as was rightly said each team had its own uniform, mainly variations on the cross sash, the Green Man wore Green Tabards and if you had danced a solo jig you were awarded the right to wear the devils head on it, I never had...
  18. bobbyb

Where is This? Garages #12

I know I'm late but that's me all over, the place is still there, but is no longer a Petrol Station, but as the yank's say a Car Lot, just past Charle's which used to be a builders yard.
  19. bobbyb

Mike G

I am so sorry to hear about Mike, my thoughts are with you.
  20. bobbyb

Digbeth Music Hall London Museum Music Hall

I remember the Top was used as some sort of club, open to the public, lots of girls of easy virtue, is what I remember.
Back