• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Mighty Maglev re-appears...

Tyseley Rail Museum are worth a try. But they might think the Maglev car is too "new-fangled" (which would be a shame). The Airport might be willing to donate it to them: they're not getting any value out of it. Then it's "just" a matter of transporting it.

I wish I wasn't so far away, so I could be more helpful.

Just a thought, I don't suppose the Airport itself could be shamed into looking after this important relic of Birmingham technological history. That way it doesn't have to be moved very far. I wonder if they have an "in house" museum?

It is many years since I have been there but the last time that I went to the Science Museum at Wroughton, where they collect many of the museum's transport exhibits, I saw a Maglev car. It was in poor condition and I think smaller that the Birmingham cars. It was a prototype and no information as to where it was used. It was painted in British Railways blue livery complete with the barbed wire logo. I don't know whether this is significant but Jowett's Railway Atlas (published 1989) shows a line from Birminghamk International Station to the Airport as BR(Proposed). Were BR going to run the Maglev? Does any one know? I cannot imagine that BR would have run a standard gauge branch line into the airport.

Who owns the present connection between the station and the airport. I presume it is the airport. It is important to save this important vehicle for the city.

They are now clearing the ground ready to build the new hotel and as they have fenced off all around the Lorry Park, only allowing us to access our car park, but no news on the maglev car.

Thanks for the heads-up on this interesting development, Colin. Since it is being auctioned for charity, I don't think anyone will mind if I post the description and picture (let's hope it finds a good home):
50% of proceeds from sale will go to Help for Heroes.
50% of proceeds will go to Acorns Children Charity.

Please bid generously!

The world's first commercial automated maglev system was a low-speed maglev shuttle that ran from the airport terminal of Airport to the nearby Birmingham International railway station running at speeds up to 42 km/h (26 mph). Trains "flew" at an altitude of 15 millimeters (0.6 in). The length of the track was 600 meters (1,969 ft). It was in operation for nearly eleven years, but was eventually closed in 1995 due to reliability and design problems.

You are bidding for one of the cars, not in working order and with mechanical/electronic parts missing. No warranty whatsoever is provided.

Nevertheless, this is an opportunity to donate to Charity whilst at the same time securing a piece of transport history. Since withdrawal in 1995, car No 2 has been living a quiet retirement on an obscure part of Birmingham Airport. The vehicle would make an excellent Summer House or Greenhouse – perhaps a perfect Christmas present for your partner – who thinks that you only care about transport. Just imagine their face and the look of envy from your neighbors as you crane the thing into your back garden!

Successful bidder collects at own expense, and is responsible for all the usual risk-assessments and indemnities likely to be needed for successful lift and removal.

Happy bidding!

THIS ITEM MAY BE LISTED ELSEWHERE AND IF SOLD WILL BE WITHDRAWN FROM AUCTION.​

It would make a wonderful summer house or shed wouldn't it? I shall watch the bidding with interest

Wonderful news: the more the new owner forks out for it, the more it will be valued and cared for. Can we hope that it will stay in the Midlands and will be publicly accessible?

If I remember correctly it was not very reliable, frequently breaking down, whereas the present system, which I use twice a year ( its easier to be dropped of at the railway station first and ride to the airport)), seems to be faultless. Did they ever give a reason for its unreliability ??? Eric

Last edited:
They sometimes get stupid bids on things like this, hope the bids are genuine for all concerned!

Caught a bit on the new regards the reliability, they blamed it on first generation technology,

They could of cleaned it up and put into the car park of the new hotel they are building and made it a centre piece

Someone has placed an automatic bid which is entered at £100 over any competing bid. It remains to be seen how high he will go.

This is going to be exciting - It feels a part of us now (just wish I had a stake in it!)...

Hi Mossy, Do you remember my Dad Albert Bennett? He worked at the Met for 42 years and was finally the night manager. He was made redundant in 1984. I worked in the drawing office when I left school as a tracer but decided it wasn't the job for me and moved on. Anne

The winning bid was £25,100. I hope was can learn about the new owners and their plans for the Maglev car.

Back