• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Centenary of the Great War - August 4 2014

Alan Tucker

master brummie
I would like to generate some ideas as to how the Great War should be commemorated in the city and environs on that date and afterwards. 2014 will arrive all too quickly. I have plenty of ideas of my own but would like to hear what other people think before I take my next step in an official capacity as Secretary of the Birmingham branch of the Western Front Association which meets monthly at Sutton Coldfield Town Hall.

I've sort of got mixed emotions on this, best thing I read is a commemoration, the ordinary Tommie needs to be remembered, as they had no choice in the matter of the 1914-18 War, trouble is except for Local memorials and on the Battlefields, they get no mention in the annuls of that war only the ones who directed the manner of the fighting get any mention and any honours, and only because we won and that was not because of them, but the prowess of the ordinary Tommie and the fact that the Yanks joined in, as you can see I do not have a good opinion of the Officer Class either now or then. It is really about time the truth be told once and for all, instead of the BS told now from the Officer side, some very good Ordinary Tommies war diaries are now coming out giving the proper story, these stories should be told and commemorated and do not let us be gung ho about it, but remember not only the ones who died during the conflict, but also the ones who came back and tried to pick up where they left off.

Hi Alan
I think it a great idea for Birmingham to commemorate the centenary of the Great War. One thing that I feel should be done is to update The 'Roll of Honour of Birmingham Men & Woman Who Gave Their Lives in The Great War'. Sadly many of the Birmingham Lads who died are not mentioned.

Tony

Hello Alan,

It is also the centenary of the raising of Birmingham's three 'Pals' battalions; the 1st, 2nd & 3rd Birmingham Battalions (14th, 15th & 16th Royal Warwickshires). I know we are three years away, but I would be willing to support and contribute to any ideas raised.

Regards

Terry

Hello Everyone!

I'm new at this (so please bear with me while I find my way around!!).

I too think it's a great idea for Birmingham to do something and would like to be involved somehow, although I'm not sure how. Updating the 'Roll of Honour' would be a great start. I would love to know if my great great uncle's name is on there. How do I find out?

Hello Everyone!

I'm new at this (so please bear with me while I find my way around!!).

I too think it's a great idea for Birmingham to do something and would like to be involved somehow, although I'm not sure how. Updating the 'Roll of Honour' would be a great start. I would love to know if my great great uncle's name is on there. How do I find out?

Give us his name and we will try and find out for you

Terry

Hi Terry,

Thanks for such a quick response.

His name was William George Horton (but all the records I have found show his name as George William Horton). He was Private 11135 and belonged to 1st South Staffordshire Regiment, C Company 9 or G Platoon (I have a copy of a hand written letter from him to my great grandmother, and I'm not sure if the Platoon is preceded by a 9 or G). He died in France on 14th July 1917 and is buried in Arras.

If you are able to help it will be greatly appreciated.

I for one born 1947 new nothing about the 1st world war as it was never taught at school any of the events that transpired during those 4 years of death and destruction, and my parents where born after the event. Since I visited Flanders Fields and Ypres in Belgium last year.I have learned a multitude of information.
I think its a great opportunity for our city to educate the masses with a big display at perhaps the Birmingham Museum, of our involvement of this catastrophic event, so that the people whom lay-ed down their lives for an Honorable tragic truce, will never be forgotten. Or the consequences are that it will fade away forever from the new modern generation never to be remembered.

The Canadians too were very much present in all of this and in a war that was mostly static they figured largely in rolling the enemy back 50 miles in the last months. None of this or the second one mattered anything at all. The other guys got Rolls Royce anyway. I can't even imagine the awfull ordeal that the soldiers went through to end up with nothing even after being triumphant So OK honour their sacrifice for saving us and then drive a Silver Ghost up Vimy Ridge and hand over the registration and keys to a rep from VW.
Those are my initial thoughts but I suppose that there is a bigger picture somewhere in all of this and if Europe has become a closer knit community with freindlier ties and greater co-operation and cross-investment...well I think that aspect might make the ending a positive one.
In passing, the current upheavals in the MIddle East might well be another milestone; depending on wether they are against their own leaders only or also on a tangent to dissatisfaction with the west as a whole.
Honor the occasion; I don't know. How about a button with a WW1 image on it. There are many images but the one below has something depicting great spirit despite everything. There are many others. This one is from The Loyal Edmonton Regiment Museum https://www.lermuseum.org/ler/mh/wwi/vimy.html I hope no rights are involved in including it for you to see.
OK I deleted the picture; even though it is very old there might be copyright involved. Just go to the link and scroll down to the bottom...return from Vimy Ridge. The soldiers are all looking at the camera and waving for us to see. It seems to reach out to you from the past. It seems to make a connection. I suppose they are all dead now.

Thanks for contributions to date - I hope they keep coming.

Terry and Tony in particular you are my on little list anyway because of your expertise.

The great contribution made by women should also be remembered,and at this time they didn't even have the vote.This is my gt.aunt Charlotte,on the back of the photo.are the words "France 1916,love Lotte"considering at this time she was 46 years old with a grown up family,and a husband with his own business to run....it was quite a sacrifice.

I had thought what a tribute to all those who gave their lives, if a catalogue of newspaper cutting could be made. What a colossal task it would be. Cannot see it happening in my lifetime.

This is a big deal ! Buttons with images for different counties or regiments or feats of bravery. Profits on sales, after manufacturing and distribution costs would go to fitting and usefull constructions of memory. Manufacturing these buttons would provide work for people also...a good thing. This is too big for local groups...hopefully the government has something in hand. There are organisations in place already that possibly could handle the project We have been and are still experiencing grave fiscal constraints and rather than a statue with helmet and gun; I am pretty sure that the boys and girls would have preferred useful things to transpire with their gift suitably and visually acknowleged.
I suspect that the thread starter was considering something on a more local and much smaller scale.

There will be national events and at the moment the Imperial War Museum is taking a lead role. I am interested in city wide and and on a big scale (over 12000 Brummies were killed) as well as at a regional level. There is going to be a meeting in the autumn of representatives of Midland branches of the Western Front Association.

My two Brummie Grandads had quite different wars. One was in the Warwickshire Royal Field Artillery, got seriously wounded and was discharged in 1916. In that same year my other Grandad left school and then was on munitions production at the Crocodile Works in Aston. I'd like to see Birmingham remember and celebrate not only its military effort but the extraordinary achievements in manufacturing, provision of hospitals and the 1000 and one other things that people of our great city did to support the war effort in 1914-1918.

WW1 Veteran Claude Choules has reached his 110th Birthday, Many Congratulations Len.

Back