• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Steam Locos

8791, ex-works at Swindon in 1934. Despite the 'official' livery of the time, the safety valve cover is unpainted brass. It is one of the last pannier tanks to receive 'GREAT WESTERN' insignia.
8791-Swindon-1934.jpg

A Beginner's Guide to Pannier Tanks​

by Jim Champ​

8791, ex-works at Swindon in 1934. Despite the 'official' livery of the time, the safety valve cover is unpainted brass. It is one of the last pannier tanks to receive 'GREAT WESTERN' insignia.
8791-Swindon-1934.jpg

A Beginner's Guide to Pannier Tanks​

by Jim Champ​

Loved those Pannier tankers!

Could I remind members that this section is concerned with Birmingham (and nearby to Birmingham) Transport.

Could I remind members that this section is concerned with Birmingham (and nearby to Birmingham) Transport.
You can, and it is. These locos were frequently seen in many parts of the GWR and later BR(W) in the Birmingham area. In fact, at the time of nationalisation in 1948, 8791 was stabled at Stourbrdge MPD and was therefore very much a part of the local railway scene.
(Edit - where's the picture gone??)

You can, and it is. These locos were frequently seen in many parts of the GWR and later BR(W) in the Birmingham area. In fact, at the time of nationalisation in 1948, 8791 was stabled at Stourbrdge MPD and was therefore very much a part of the local railway scene.
(Edit - where's the picture gone??)
thanks Lloyd for reply

Lloyd
I did not remove it. It never appeared for me either. The point you make is,, I am sure true, but the photo concerned (apparently according to what the title said, but could not see it) was at Swindon. We do not want the thread to become top-heavy with photos of things which were, or could have been, once in the area but which are shown elsewhere.
The post was a gentle reminder to try and keep posts reasonably to do with the area here

“Station pilot duties at Birminghan (Snow Hill) were more often than not performed by tender locomotives, usually from 84E Tvseley. This is the case on an unknown day in 1958 where we find GWR Modified Hall Glass 4:6:0 No 7912 Little Linford Hall at work in the up main platform. A popular resident of Tyseley, Little Linford Hall was drafted to 84C Banbury in April 1962 being condemned trom there in October 1965.“ (RS Carpenter)

British Railways steaming through the fifties by Hands, Peter (1993)

View attachment 177921

If you like anything to do with steam railways then spend some time (you may need to allocate many hours to this as there is a lot on there!!) to the Science Museum Group Photographic collections site at https://collection.sciencemuseumgro...ies/photographic-collections-(railway)/images
There is a ton of old photos on here split into collections - like this:-
1677582936712.png

I've only looked a few of these so far - but local interest can be found in the George Stainton collection where there are loads of Bescot station/shed etc and some other locations such as Wendesbury station:-
1677583059180.png

Also the LMS Collection contains many early images of New St Station - this one is from 1912:-
1677583297316.png

The Queens Hotel in 1918:-
1677583179271.png

The original station at Longbridge in 1939:-
1677583253818.png

And (amongst many other posters) one from 1928 from the LMS making Sutton Park look a lot better than it is!
1677583433701.png

If you like anything to do with steam railways then spend some time (you may need to allocate many hours to this as there is a lot on there!!) to the Science Museum Group Photographic collections site at https://collection.sciencemuseumgro...ies/photographic-collections-(railway)/images
There is a ton of old photos on here split into collections - like this:-
View attachment 178268

I've only looked a few of these so far - but local interest can be found in the George Stainton collection where there are loads of Bescot station/shed etc and some other locations such as Wendesbury station:-
View attachment 178269

Also the LMS Collection contains many early images of New St Station - this one is from 1912:-
View attachment 178272

The Queens Hotel in 1918:-
View attachment 178270

The original station at Longbridge in 1939:-
View attachment 178271

And (amongst many other posters) one from 1928 from the LMS making Sutton Park look a lot better than it is!
View attachment 178273
Great collection and the link to the Science Museum Collection is very well done!

Restoring transport heritage is one (very good) thing, but replicas, whilst giving the experience of long-gone types is another, and the two must not be mixed up. The latter (and to a lesser extent, the former) are only going to be done if there is a sound business plan behind them - there has to be sufficient funds from donations and operational profits to secure their futures, or they wouldn't be there today. The value of donations and voluntary worker's time are a very important part of this, and those who give funds or time should be equally praised. Thank you to them all.

Restoring transport heritage is one (very good) thing, but replicas, whilst giving the experience of long-gone types is another, and the two must not be mixed up. The latter (and to a lesser extent, the former) are only going to be done if there is a sound business plan behind them - there has to be sufficient funds from donations and operational profits to secure their futures, or they wouldn't be there today. The value of donations and voluntary worker's time are a very important part of this, and those who give funds or time should be equally praised. Thank you to them all.
Lloyd makes an interesting point, but I can't help thinking that the two areas merge into each other. Many a transport heritage vehicle/loco has had substantial parts replaced during "restoration" meaning in some cases there is very little of the original left. Conversely, many of the "new-build" replicas have re-used parts from historic locos to speed their construction. Think of the GWR Saint at Didcot and the County and Patriot 4-6-0s, all of which have incorporated parts recovered from preserved locos.

His main point is the most important, in that it's down to funds raised and volunteer time spent that these projects ever happen at all.

Two privately owned 0-4-0 saddle tank locomotives at Bromford Bridge Station circa 1967:

Private Loco 1.jpg

Private Loco 2.jpg

No Idea which companies they served. I guess that they shunted wagons into the sidings awaiting collection by something like this:

1Co-Co1 D6 Bromford bridge station 1967.jpg

Sulzer type 4 D6 'Whernside'

Two privately owned 0-4-0 saddle tank locomotives at Bromford Bridge Station circa 1967:

View attachment 180249

View attachment 180250

No Idea which companies they served. I guess that they shunted wagons into the sidings awaiting collection by something like this:

View attachment 180251

Sulzer type 4 D6 'Whernside'
I think they belonged to Bromford Tube Co (it may have been called Stewarts and Lloyds or Tube Investments in the 60’s) As a kid I used to chat to the driver, a guy called Bailey and grab the odd ride.

I think they belonged to Bromford Tube Co (it may have been called Stewarts and Lloyds or Tube Investments in the 60’s) As a kid I used to chat to the driver, a guy called Bailey and grab the odd ride.
Thanks Morturn. The loco in the first picture does have what appears to be 'S & L' on the side.

Yes the two industrials were Bromford Tube Company, later Stewarts & Lloyds. The image would have been from the platform of Bromford Race Course station. It was a convenient access point to reach the sidings that served the Tube Works.

The platform is evident in the 3rd image that shows D 6

IMG_1615.jpeg

“LMS No 5521 RHYL looks superb in original LMS livery as she prepares to depart from Birmingham New Street station on 17/05/38. Note that in this instance the 5XP power classification is carried in the more usual place above the cabside number. Edward Talbot Collection.”

British steam Patriots by Langston, Keith. Publication date 2011

Back