• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Steam Locos

IMG_0793.jpeg

“The first of the Midland compounds, No2631 was outshopped from Derby works in January 1902 and renumbered No1000 in 1907. Rebuilt with a Type G9AS superheated boiler in 1914, it remained in traffic until October 1951 when it was withdrawn for preservation. Repainted in crimson lake livery in 1959, Nol000 came out of storage to work specials, one of which took it to Birmingham New Street.”

IMG_0713.jpeg

“Steam power continued from Monument Lane into the early 1960s. Class '5' 45111 stands at Birmingham New Street with the empty stock of a City of Birmingham Holiday Express working from Alton Towers, on 28 July 1960. A number of the Holiday Express trains fell to the shed, with different locations providing the destination over the period of a week. Whenever possible, the locomotives were well turned out for these workings.”( Michael Mensing.)

Monument Lane loco shed by Higgs, Tony. Publication date 2008

IMG_0711.jpeg

Two 3 car Metropolitan Cammell units are arriving at New Street to form the 5.20pm service to Lichfield (City). Alongside is Fairburn tank 42267 waiting to form the 5.48pm to Rugby Midland, a service which still retained regular steam haulage at this time despite the growing involvement of DMUs on local suburban services. The date is 28 March 1961. (Michael Mensing.)

Monument Lane loco shed by Higgs, Tony. Publication date 2008

I was watching the BBC Midlands News earlier this week and it included a report on an 1884 Midland Railway Company carriage that was last in service in the 1930s and has now been restored at Foxfield Railway (Staffordshire). It was due to be back in service at the Bylthe Bridge site yesterday. My apologies, as this isn't a loco as such, but it is pulled by one;). Present and past photographs below.

BBC Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-66166820

1689425020088.png 1689425085324.png 1689425105273.png

There have been occasions where steam trains have visited Birmingham International Station, but this image seems to be not that time or deserves to be in this thread

Never had the chance to visit the "international Station, which I take was at "Elmdon", for airport, as I had left many years before!!

There have been occasions where steam trains have visited Birmingham International Station, but this image seems to be not that time or deserves to be in this thread

Oh, I do beg your pardon. Of course the experts are always right ! I did mean to post on the Railways thread, perhaps the Moderators could advise me if it is deserving of being on that thread.

Back