• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

ROBERT JONES Lyndon Road

1921 census is only on FMP and you have to pay but I don't see how 1921 information is going to help identify a death in 1952.

Very difficult. The only published source would be the electoral rolls which are at Solihull library. If he stayed in Solihull.
1951 census is not published - closed for 100 years.

The 1921 census will be no help in finding out when William died.

I think the hope was that he would be buried with Gladys and the headstone would reveal this. With no headstone that is scuppered, I don't know if you can ask the cemetery who (if anyone) else is buried in the same grave.

With this and with a name like Jones it's guesswork and the purchase of a death certificate to confirm. Unless you have info to doubt it, I still think the most likely is the one registered in Solihull, Mar 1952 but if it isn't you're just wasting your money.

Are you in contact with any descendants of William's other 2 sons - Arthur and Dennis - might they know anything?

Last edited:
Very difficult. The only published source would be the electoral rolls which are at Solihull library. If he stayed in Solihull.
1951 census is not published - closed for 100 years.
Thank you for looking. My aunty and uncle are going back there monday see if william is cremated and scattered on gladys grave.

The 1921 census is just a record of him and his family in 1921.
To go after 1945 you would need the next census which is 1951 but that won't be released until at least 2051 (100 years).
The only published record would be electoral rolls but as said before, Solihull's are not online.

hi nickie the simple answer is no....the 1921 census is like any other census it will only tell us where a person was living in 1921 however it will give us the exact dates of births of people on that census..it seem to me that what you need is an exact date of birth for william jones...was he married in 1921 and if so do you know who to

lyn

Last edited:
hi nickie the simple answer is no....the 1921 census is like any other census it will only tell us where a person was living in 1921 however it will give us the exact dates of births of people on that census

lyn
That might help me to have exact dob.

hi nickie the simple answer is no....the 1921 census is like any other census it will only tell us where a person was living in 1921 however it will give us the exact dates of births of people on that census..it seem to me that what you need is an exact date of birth for william jones...was he married in 1921 and if so do you know who to

lyn
Married to Gladys and, I think, MWS has already pointed out they are on the 1921. Nickie needs to register on FMP and buy the record.
He is not with Gladys on 1939 reg. Working elsewhere and hard to find or already in forces.

Last edited:

lyn
He was married in

lyn
He was married in 1919 in Merthyr Tydfil wales to Gladys Shirley
They moved to Birmingham Solihull had 3 sons, Arthur, Dennis and Robert William year of death is 1952

Does the 1921 census give an exact dob? If it doesn't there are 5 main ways to find a person's dob and in this instance, for William, none are straightforward.

1. Birth certificate - in 1901 he is listed in Llanddeiniolen and he and his sister's birthplace are listed as such. This is in the Carnarvon registration district. However, even knowing his mmn and searching with such there are a number of results around 1898. His elder brother appears to have been registered Mar 1896, so William's has to be at least 3 qtrs later. Assuming he didn't have a middle name it leaves just 2 - Jun qtr 1897 and Mar qtr 1898 - but I've made a lot of assumptions.

2. Baptism - should (but not always) contain dob but we don't know where this occurred and if it's not online (and it doesn't seem to be) you may have to physically go and find it.

3. 1939 Register - as he is not with Gladys finding him would seem unlikely (even if he is listed).

4. Gravestone - not always listed and even if he is buried with Gladys you know it doesn't exist.

5. Death certificate - which we're guessing at anyway and I'm not sure if it was a requirement that early.

Of the five, the birth certificate obviously seems the most likely (possibly the only) way but as with trying to find his death, with a name like Jones, it's easy to be wrong.

The 1921 census will be no help in finding out when William died.

I think the hope was that he would be buried with Gladys and the headstone would reveal this. With no headstone that is scuppered, I don't know if you can ask the cemetery who (if anyone) else is buried in the same grave.

With this and with a name like Jones it's guesswork and the purchase of a death certificate to confirm. Unless you have info to doubt it, I still think the most likely is the one registered in Solihull, Mar 1952 but if it isn't you're just wasting your money.

Are you in contact with any descendants of William's other 2 sons - Arthur and Dennis - might they know anything?
No we didnt really know they existed. My nan didnt speak about any of them. I know dennis died cant find arthurs death date.

Arthur possibly died young as well, 1958 Bham aged 38. He may have married a Doris M Wilkins in 1941 and had children but again can't be certain.

In post 47 MWS suggests that William was born in 1898 which would make him 53ish if he died in 1952.
There is only one death of a William Jones in Solihull
1676646133117.png
If we search for Birmingham then there are 3 with just the name William (and a further 9 with a middle name as well). Of the 3 two are in therir 70s and one is 59.
So the best fit is the Solihull one.

Does the 1921 census give an exact dob? If it doesn't there are 5 main ways to find a person's dob and in this instance, for William, none are straightforward.
The copies I have of the 1921 census do NOT show an exact dob. They do show a persons age in years and months.
1676647303889.png

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
To see any significant info for thec1921 census you need to pay. It is free to search but you can see names but no details. It is on FMP you can register for free and pay per record. £2.50 for transcription or £3.50 to see the original. I think Dennis was born in 1925 so won't be there.
Robert born 1921 but after the census.

Last edited:
To see any significant info for thec1921 census you need to pay. It is free to search but you can see names but no details. It is on FMP you can register for free and pay per record. £2.5₩ for transcription or £3.50 to see the original. I think Arthur was born in 1925 so won't be there.
Robert born 1921 but after the census.
It was william i wanted will have a look thank you

What I can glean from the search results for the 1921 census is that William, Gladys and Arthur are living at 121 Deakins Road. William's birthplace is listed as Rhiwlas, Carnarvonshire (mentioned previously) and his occupation is listed as Fitter Labour.

Deakins Road is in the Hay Mills area of Birmingham but in 1921 came under the Kings Norton district.

Pay-per-view 1921 census records are half price atm on findmypast...

If you really want to know about William's birth or death then you may have to take a chance on purchasing the likely certificates and risk wasting some money.

Back