• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

ROBERT JONES Lyndon Road

Are you sure you have the right parents for Frederick?

Possibly William Davis and Ellen Jones. In which case 3 sons and 3 daughters.

Last edited:
There's no matching Davis/Pickford birth for Frederick.

I think William Davis and Ellen Jones, marriage registered Sep 1891 South Stoneham which covered part of Southampton.

Children - William Charles b1892, Annie Clara b1893, Alice Agnes b1894, Nellie b1897, Frederick b1899 & Harry b1904.

Frederick is with parents and Harry in 1921 in Southampton.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

There is a marriage for a George William Davis to an Ellen Alice Pickford, Southampton Jun 1892, but I don't think they are the parents of Frederick.

Davis/Jones marriage is Sep 1891 South Stoneham not Southampton.

Would it be easier to start again with my mother in law and her parents I definitely know who they are I’m not sure she knows much about fathers side Davis to be fair.

Easy to make a mistake with Davis. Are you certain of Frederick's details (apart from parents) - date and place of birth, death and wife?

He definitely married Alice Blanche Ivy Cluett
Ive looked at other ancestry trees and b 1899 southampton and d 1988 southampton. Some have Ellen Hughes for mother some have Ellen pickford father william Davis. All born southampton Frederick definitely had a brother William.

Mother inlaw
Susan Patricia Davis b1956 southampton.
Father peter Robert charles Davis b 9 feb 1927 southampton d 27 Aug 1989 southampton.
Mother Margaret Patricia pearcey b 1 nov 1927 Dublin Ireland d 11 nov 1993 Southampton.
They had 5 girls including Susan.

His dob is 2 Aug 1899 on the 1939 register and there is a matching death in 1988 so that seems correct but the only certain records of him are the register and the marriage and death registrations.

These give no birthplace so he could have been born anywhere and whilst the Frederick I mentioned fits and it may turn out to be him but there is nothing to prove atm that it is.

Taking info from other people's family trees can be a mistake, you don't know how thorough they've been. I'd certainly say that his mother wasn't Ellen Pickford though.

So Peter was Frederick and Alice's son?

Tracing Irish ancestry can be tricky and you would probably need to know Margaret's parents to get further.

His dob is 2 Aug 1899 on the 1939 register and there is a matching death in 1988 so that seems correct but the only certain records of him are the register and the marriage and death registrations.

These give no birthplace so he could have been born anywhere and whilst the Frederick I mentioned fits and it may turn out to be him but there is nothing to prove atm that it is.

Taking info from other people's family trees can be a mistake, you don't know how thorough they've been. I'd certainly say that his mother wasn't Ellen Pickford though.

So Peter was Frederick and Alice's son?

Tracing Irish ancestry can be tricky and you would probably need to know Margaret's parents to get further.
Yes peter was Frederick and Alice son.

Margaret Patricia pearcey
Father was Joseph George pearcey b 1901 in cork Ireland
d 1930 in Eastleigh Hampshire
Mother Kathleen Mullen b1906 Dublin Ireland d 1970 Eastleigh Hampshire she married again a Herbert Edward Stephens.

This is the 1901 census has Frederick as 1yr old if its him

Attachments

• 20230428_113449.jpg
    20230428_113449.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230428_113408.jpg
    20230428_113408.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
Yes, that's the Frederick I think it may be, all those children are registered Davis/Jones and what is certainly is known for him does fits but again Davis is just too common a name to be totally sure. If you're happy it's correct then you could go with him, I'd like a little more proof.

This is another census it shows Frederick and alice also have a child called Frederick but Davis is crossed out and it says Hobday/ Davis any idea why they would do this for a male i understand a female as the cross out maiden name and put married name ‍♀️

Attachments

• 20230428_115026.jpg
    20230428_115026.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
Yes, usually for females when they marry. Without any further info I would say it was just a mistake.

Joseph George Pearcey was born 9 Oct 1900 Cork, son of George Pearcey and Mary O'Brien. He was from Surrey, a soldier in the King's Rifle Regiment. She was from Cork. In 1911 they are in Winchester

Joseph married 9 Sep 1926. He was a soldier, address listed as Seaforth Barracks Liverpool.

George died in Cork in 1928, he is listed as Cook and ex Soldier.

Last edited:
Kathleen Mullen was the daughter of Stephen Mullen and Margaret Latimer. He was a car/cab driver. He died in 1908.

Margaret was Stephen's second wife.

On my ancestry it’s coming up Ellen Pickford even when I put Jones
I'm not sure what you mean by that.

There is a marriage for a George William Davis to an Ellen Alice Pickford, Southampton Jun 1892, but I don't think they are the parents of Frederick.
Just to clear this up.

On Ancestry it comes up with links when you click on Ellen Davis on 1901 census. The links are to Ellen Pickford and George William Davis. There is no link to ellen Jones.

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Just to clear tis up.

On Ancestry it comes up with links when you click on Ellen Davis on 1901 census. The links are to Ellen Pickford and George William Davis. There is no link to ellen Jones.
Thats what i keep getting all the hints are for them too.

Just to clear tis up.

Ok, thanks. I rarely do that so wasn't sure what was meant.

I use a combination of sites - different ones are better for different searches. I usually start off with familysearch or freebmd and move on from there.

Back